SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Never seen any of the Fast and Furious movies.... Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
Should I bother? I enjoy a good action movie, are these a good time or a waste of time?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I've enjoyed the ones I've seen. I believe I've seen 1,2, 6, and 7.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Pass. I've seen 1-5. Don't know how I even made it to 5.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Waste of time.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Totally depends on how much you can suspend your disbelief and how easily entertained you are by stupid movies. I love them at 2am when I can't sleep. I'd never pay to see one in the theater.

They have all the artistic integrity and real world physics of professional wrestling.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MugenJustice
posted Hide Post
Used to be a guilty pleasure - no longer. I'm an unabashed fan. The series really became self-aware after 3, and stopped taking itself seriously. It became less about street racing and more about insane heists with cars. 5 and 7 are the peaks, so far.

quote:
Originally posted by Jus228:
I've enjoyed the ones I've seen. I believe I've seen 1,2, 6, and 7.

Definitely give 5 a shot. IMHO it's the best / most fun one of the series.

Posts: 1083 | Location: Seven One Four | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
(yawn)

It is a good thing everyone had a few gallons of gasoline in the back seat and parked over a hydraulic post, or else we wouldn't have known the cars blew up...

I looked at the part where they had the crash. The car went so high, I thought 'Damn! Who is driving that thing? Harry Potter?".

Don't bother. The only good it will do is spin the meter on the side of your house.

Posts: 9112 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Generally speaking, they're a waste of time.

I did enjoy 1, which was a Point Break rip-off. It was fun and hokey, and it was the first mainstream film to concentrate on import tuner cars. It started the mini-trend in the early 2000s of everyone putting neon lights, flashy graphics, and bolt-on spoilers onto their cars.

I still see the movies because I grew up on carsploitation drive-in films from the '70s. The Fast films have morphed away from import car street racing into wacky globetrotting spy caper movies with cars somehow shoehorned into the plot. They're really stupid, but it is pretty impressive to see a dopey drive-in film with a $200 million budget behind it.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:

Don't bother. The only good it will do is spin the meter on the side of your house.

LOL, that is a good line, I'm stealing that

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't remember which one it was, but in one there is a scene where they are chasing down a plane taking off and someone did the calculations and determined that due to the speeds the cars were going and the length of the scene, the runway had to be about 18 miles long.

Posts: 727 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've seen them all just because I enjoy watching movies. I liked the 1st one because it was half way realistic.. Yes I know there are scenes that are far-fetched, but overall I liked it.. After that they became VERY CGI oriented and now they have cars jumping from skyscraper to skyscraper, which in my opinion kills the original idea of just a group of illegal street racers.

Although the movie was not the greatest, I do admit I enjoyed the tribute to Paul Walker at the end of the last fast and the furious..

Posts: 1298 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/4820056804/p/1

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I saw the first one with my ex-wife. She even forced me to see it a second time in the theater.
(I'll never get those hours of my life back).

I saw the second one on DVD.

I was done after that.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dgrdvm
posted Hide Post
If you enjoy looking at interesting cars and the occasional attractive young lady in very short skin tight shorts - go for it. Looking for deep story, and Oscar winning actors and directors- not so much. It's your time, do as you wish. ( And yes I have seen most of them, don't judge !)

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KDR:
I can't remember which one it was, but in one there is a scene where they are chasing down a plane taking off and someone did the calculations and determined that due to the speeds the cars were going and the length of the scene, the runway had to be about 18 miles long.

Actually, it's 26 miles.

I've seen them all. The first three were very pro-Japanese street racer but as the series progressed began to include American and European cars. Still, it's pure fluff. Nothing is realistic about what they do with the cars.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agreed, but I get to relax for about 2 hours and look at some cool cars and the aforementioned attractive girls in really short shorts.
I also tend to look for movies where I can just unplug my brain for a while. If I want to think or follow a complex plot, I have books for that.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2731 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
I liked the first one

(1955)

I think the car on the right was on American Pickers recently

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ChuckFinley,

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5643 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I like the one without walker - some kid in japan and learning how to drift race. It's decent.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
What are you expecting?

If you are expecting to watch a "good/great" movie in the classic action/adventure movie sense, something like The Great Escape or First Blood, then you are going to be sorely disappointed.

If you want to be mindlessly entertained for two hours by fast cars, stupid banter, and ridiculous action sequences, you are going to love them.

I own the first 7 of them on BluRay, and I'm going to see The Fate of the Furious, so you can see that I don't mind a mindless waste of two hours.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only thing worth watching is Jordana Brewster and Gal Gadot, otherwise it's a forgettable series.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post