SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Confession Killer
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Confession Killer Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Pretty interesting to watch. It’s a year or two old but I had not seen it mentioned. A true crime series that goes by fairly quickly.

A murderer that claimed to be a serial killer.

I’ll leave it at that.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I watched it some time ago. The series (correctly IMHO) illustrates the necessity of cops having and USING proper interview and interrogation training and tactics (aka: Best Practices), that place an emphasis on obtaining uncontaminated, corroboration for the information obtained. It also shows how some officers can purposely blind themselves to questionable admissions, if they're subjected (by managers) to clear cases (irrespective of whether or not the actual offender is identified), in response to public pressure.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was certainly no master interrogator (PC now is interviewer) but I was taught by those who were very good to determine the facts of any case before you question your suspect. IOW, never ask a question you dont already know the answer to. This documentary proves that.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I really liked that Dallas PD Officer that made up the file.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I was certainly no master interrogator (PC now is interviewer) but I was taught by those who were very good to determine the facts of any case before you question your suspect. IOW, never ask a question you dont already know the answer to. This documentary proves that.

There are differences between interviews and interrogations. An interview is simply a fact finding exercise that involves questioning, but is non-accusatory or confrontational. An interrogation is overtly accusatory and confrontational. Since interrogations involve those who've been placed under arrest or are questioned in a custodial environment, an admonishment of the suspect's constitutional rights is required and investigators need to confirm the suspect understands his/her rights and has the ability to invoke their 5th Amendment rights to remain silent, obtain counsel, etc... Interviews usually don't require an admonishment (unless by policy) and frequently involve victims and witnesses that aren't even under suspicion.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post