SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Conan book series
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Conan book series Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
If a guy wanted to start reading some of the books in the Conan series, where's the best place to start?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I read them about 40 years ago.... I would start from the beginning... they are actually great reading as I recall.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Didn’t seem to matter much. I started here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...rt_story_collection)

I still have the paperbacks. Good stuff.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17276 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

I still have the paperbacks. Good stuff.

Yep. The great covers sold the books. Good stories but the covers brought them to life.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would start with the Robert E. Howard books first , then the collaborations, then the books written by other authors. Robert E. Howard created the character if you didn't already know, along with Kull series and a few others.

Posts: 170 | Registered: March 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
This series is a good one, based primarily on REH work, with some L. Sprague DeCamp and Lin Carter work Lancer/Ace Conan paperbacks

That's what got me started, anyway. I would hope those may still be available in used form somewhere.

RE: starting. I believe (and I may be wrong here) that the first story (i.e earliest in Conan's career, not the first one published) in the REH body of work is "Frost Giant's Daughter" but there are non-REH stories that go back to when he was very young.

Posts: 15027 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
I just finished a reread of all the Robert E Howard Conan stories. They weren't released (or written) in chronological order, rather skipping around Conan's life as if it was a man telling tales of his adventures around a fire. The stories were written in the 30's and show their age a bit, but are head and shoulders above any of the later Conan tales.

L Sprague DeCamp expanded some REH work and finished some Howard stories after Howard died. They are OK. I grew up reading Robert Jordan Conan novels and have a soft spot for them, but they don't really hold a candle to the originals.

“Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”

― Robert E. Howard

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was a huge Conan fan when I was younger. I had a big collection of the comic books but for some reason I just never read any of the novels. I did love the cover art though.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3531 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Glad I happened upon this thread.

Something new to read!

I used to collect the large “black and white” Savage Sword of Conan magazines.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Savage_Sword_of_Conan

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12328 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
Amazon has all of the Robert E Howard stories collected into 3 volumes. If you have the Kindle app, I think they are $26 for all three if I remember right.

Posts: 2593 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
When I read them as a teenager, I read the Lancer/Ace Paperback Series. They include most all the Conan Stories by Howard, as well some by L. Sprague de Camp, Lin Carter, and Björn Nyberg. I liked all of them. I consider these Conan Canon.

There are a number of Howard stories including many Conan ones here at the Gutenberg project. They are free to download in a number of different digital formats.

https://www.gutenberg.org/eboo...&submit_search=Go%21

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There was another book series similar to Conan. the character was a barbarian as well and tore up the land.

He was a Destroyer too. I know its not much to go on, but does anyone know what those books were?

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely start with the Howard books, as others have said. I have a collection of his short stories called "The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian." It has a lot of the history of the character and various peoples of the Hyborian age.

Posts: 4658 | Location: Middletown, PA | Registered: January 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
On a related note, check out the biopic "The Whole Wide World" w/ Vincent D'Onofrio as REH.

Saw it years ago and remember it being pretty good. I'll have to watch it again now.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conan series was a good read but I really loved the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Posts: 5 | Registered: March 01, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DonGlock26
posted Hide Post
If you like the Conan books, you may like
the Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser series (D&D was influenced by them),the Elric of Melniboné series,and the Kane series by Karl Edward Wagner.

-----------------------------------
"If they don't go concentrating on meaningless cosmetic changes, like rainbow this or two-tone that, or wood grip panels from the ackabalacka tree"-Parabellum

Posts: 1197 | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
[Beavis]Moorcock, he, hehe, he said Moorcock, he hehe[/Beavis]

[Butthead] Yea, I like Moorcock, hehehe[/Butthead]

[Beavis] Eek Shut up Butthead.[/Beavis]

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:
There was another book series similar to Conan. the character was a barbarian as well and tore up the land.

He was a Destroyer too. I know its not much to go on, but does anyone know what those books were?

Are you thinking about Kull of Atlantis? wikipedia link

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cleburne:
Conan series was a good read but I really loved the Icewind Dale Trilogy.

Read that back in the day. Actually snagged them out of my parents' basement last month!

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Underdog:

REH wrote the Cormac Mac Art series. It was about an Irish barbarian who fell in with a band of Vikings and their adventures. Decent read. The original Conan series is still my favorite.

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post