SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "As you know, I think we tried to go a Bridge too Far"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"As you know, I think we tried to go a Bridge too Far" Login/Join 
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted
Such a great movie! Detailing a huge "Cock up". Fucking General B. Montgomery!

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rolan_Kraps:
Such a great movie! Detailing a huge "Cock up". Fucking General B. Montgomery!

That's "Viscount Montgomery" to you, peasant. Wink

Amazing the honors you get from the winning side even if you screw up.

At 5'6", must have had short man's disease.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

Three daysh they shed. We've been here nine!

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
"Hail Mary, full of Grace"

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1728 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"This is a story you shall tell your grandchildren about. And mightily bore they"ll be!"

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2339 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
If you like "A Bridge Too Far", check out "Theirs Is The Glory".

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0171824/

It's a 1946 British film that re-enacts the story of the British 1st Airborne Division at Arnhem, filmed on location in the still-destroyed city of Arnhem, with many of the actors and extras being surviving British Paras themselves. Tons of actual wartime equipment, including running German tanks, most notably a couple of Panthers and a Tiger.

You can find the entire film on YouTube.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fortified with Sleestak
Picture of thunderson
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigCity:
"Hail Mary, full of Grace"

John Ratzenberger (aka Cliff Claven) died in that scene.

I have the heart of a lion.......and a lifetime ban from the Toronto Zoo.- Unknown

Posts: 5371 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: November 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
ABTF is one of my favorite movies. And talk about a film starring just about everybody-who-was-anybody at the time - a truly star-studded cast.

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6693 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post

Kate ter Horst was truly the Angel of Arnhem.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kate_ter_Horst

The real Kate is on the left, Liv Ullman the actress who portrayed her is on the right. The producers did a good job in matching up for appearances.

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2698 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2BobTanner:
The producers did a good job in matching up for appearances.

They sure did. When you look at the pictures in the book of the actual participants then at who portrayed them in the movie the likenesses are startling. Connery as Urqhart, Fox as Horrocks, Bogarde as Browning (especially this casting), and so on. In my opinion, "A Bridge Too Far" is the best, most true to events, war movie ever made.

and my quote from the flick:

"No. In the case of massacre, what difference would it make."

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives
posted Hide Post
If you are ever near the Rhine river, go to the Airborne Museum in Oosterbeek Netherlands (3 miles downstream of Arnhem) The museum is in (and under) the 1st airborne HQ during the battle. they have a nice collection of stuff, and the curator is a Dutch SASS shooter.

Arnhem bridge, Niemegen Bridge and the road used in Market garden are still there too. nice drive.

"I don't own the night, I only operate a small franchise" - Author unknown

Posts: 2447 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
But without the last Bridge, the whole mission was worthless.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post