New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cryptonomicon Login/Join 
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted
One of my favorite reads, and consequently, favorite listens in audio format. Possibly the best audio book ever. It is so stuffed with a mingling of realism and satire that there is literally never a dull moment.

Any other fans?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15502 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
Love it. Plus Diamond Age and a lot of his other books. Snow Crash is probably my favorite

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Read it many years ago. I remember searching the internet to find a Fuck You Money calculator.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2380 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it a lot. My copy is sitting about 3 feet away. I thinking it knows we are are talking about it. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
I've read and greatly enjoyed a lot of Neal Stephenson's books but had a hard time getting into Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle and never finished them. Maybe it's time to give them another go.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
Love it. Plus Diamond Age and a lot of his other books. Snow Crash is probably my favorite

Big +1!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
This is one of the ones I'll reread every so often. Does make you wonder how books like this aren't quickly into film production when some of the things that come out of Hollywood defy logic...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post