SIGforum
Cryptonomicon

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/3020073854

June 29, 2019, 10:07 AM
gearhounds
Cryptonomicon
One of my favorite reads, and consequently, favorite listens in audio format. Possibly the best audio book ever. It is so stuffed with a mingling of realism and satire that there is literally never a dull moment.

Any other fans?

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown
June 29, 2019, 08:01 PM
Kenpoist
Love it. Plus Diamond Age and a lot of his other books. Snow Crash is probably my favorite
June 29, 2019, 08:08 PM
Green Highlander
Read it many years ago. I remember searching the internet to find a Fuck You Money calculator.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")
June 29, 2019, 09:31 PM
Otto Pilot
I enjoyed it a lot. My copy is sitting about 3 feet away. I thinking it knows we are are talking about it. Big Grin

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon
June 30, 2019, 10:08 AM
maladat
I've read and greatly enjoyed a lot of Neal Stephenson's books but had a hard time getting into Cryptonomicon and the Baroque Cycle and never finished them. Maybe it's time to give them another go.
July 01, 2019, 11:36 AM
Loswsmith
quote:
Originally posted by Kenpoist:
Love it. Plus Diamond Age and a lot of his other books. Snow Crash is probably my favorite

Big +1!

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi
July 02, 2019, 07:30 PM
Rinehart
This is one of the ones I'll reread every so often. Does make you wonder how books like this aren't quickly into film production when some of the things that come out of Hollywood defy logic...
July 09, 2019, 08:30 AM
GregY
One of my favorites.