New
Find
Notify
Tools

Life Below Zero Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Started watching this on Netflix.....despite the awful 'scripting' and the repetitive use of the same footage over and over again (really noticeable with the guy in Wiseman who hunts) it's a pretty interesting show.

But seriously.....the crew with that hunter dude needs to go back to the UK or whatever. One minute he's using an AR to shoot a wolf (which is supposedly 600-700m away), the next shot, he's got some bolt action.

I also see the guy who lives 'old school' in Chandalar has a suppressor on his bolt gun.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I think one of those dudes used to post on TFL.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I think one of those dudes used to post on TFL.

Chip Hailstone. He used to post to Gunboards as well, in the Mosin-Nagant section. He and his wife frequently hunt with a Finnish M39 Mosin-Nagant.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Chip just got his black powder rights back this last season. My wife and I love this show.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
is this the guy that goes by Caribou?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
I like it as well. I kind of have a unhealthy addiction to survival and Alaska shows. But I have been able to swear off the last frontier and Alaska Bush people Smile.

now watching life below zero and alone

Posts: 7795 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Beautiful country, but screw those temps! LOL

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
I like it as well. I kind of have a unhealthy addiction to survival and Alaska shows. But I have been able to swear off the last frontier and Alaska Bush people Smile.

Me too on both counts. My wife laughs at me because it's not as if I'll ever find myself in a wilderness situation.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I've watched the show for a long time now, mostly only for Glenn nowadays, though.

It does get a bet repetitive, but I enjoy the lengths that some people go to to live in their own way.

That said, Sue is a walking disaster and I don't know how many of her 9 lives she's got left between what she's been through (being mauled by a bear, snowmobile accident, etc.) and the risks she takes in her daily routine around camp.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
I've watched the show for a long time now, mostly only for Glenn nowadays, though.

It does get a bet repetitive, but I enjoy the lengths that some people go to to live in their own way.

That said, Sue is a walking disaster and I don't know how many of her 9 lives she's got left between what she's been through (being mauled by a bear, snowmobile accident, etc.) and the risks she takes in her daily routine around camp.

Sue sparked our interest when starring in Flying Wild Alaska. About the Tweto famiy that owned Ravn Alaska (commuter airline.)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
She's a drama queen of epic proportions. I admire her grit, but geez. Enough with the "I'm a porkchop" schtick.

Glenn has some god-mode survival skills, but am I understanding correctly he basically leaves his family for months at a time so he can reconnect to nature?

Jessie seems like a relative noob bum. Like he's emulating Andy, but lacks the skill set. His fishwheel looked like he'd either had a kid build it or scavenged someone's castoff.

The Hailstones and Eric/Martha seem like the most well-adjusted of all of them, but even they have their repetitive messages.

Still.....they would all kick my ass if I had to live out there. LOL

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:

What I don't get is she lives in what seems to be a canvas covered structure which was easily penetrated by bears and she lives in constant fear of another surprise attack. Additionally, she's always worried that she will run out of fuel and freeze to death. Why not set up house keeping in one of those steel shipping containers which have been converted to guest housing? Or at least work on getting something more secure and better insulated than the flimsy "tent" she lives in.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
Wonder where her camera crew sleeps?

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty funny when their snow machine breaks down and they have to walk 10 miles back home . Why not hitch a ride with the film crew ? Probably another two or three snow machines following them . Yes I'm being sarcastic . Smile

Posts: 4049 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The "Last Alaskan's" is about the closest thing you will see on the tube about living truly remote in AK. And even some it of is a bit iffy for tv. The rest of them are pretty much a reality tv show with very small tidbits of interesting facts of life in Ak.

It is like everything else in our society. Those truly living a lifestyle of their choice other than what is considered mainstream for the most part may still journal their lives, maybe. But certainly do not put it out on the www or over the air for the world to see and for their own financial gain.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of msfzoe
posted Hide Post
I believe Chip Hailstone posts as"Caribou" on Gunboards.

Posts: 2422 | Location: newyorkistan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by msfzoe:
I believe Chip Hailstone posts as"Caribou" on Gunboards.

thanks,

I thought so but was not sure,

he has some very good posts there

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post