New
Find
Notify
Tools

RIP Herman Wouk Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted
Herman Wouk, author of such classics as The Caine Mutiny and Winds of War, died today. He would have been 104 later this month.

Think I'll cue up and watch Caine Mutiny tonight in his remembrance.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted Hide Post
Wow...I have to be honest, I didn’t know he was still alive.

I remember reading the winds of war and war and remembrance as a kid and watching the mini series with my dad

I *think* I actually have my dad’s vhs recording of war and remembrance somewhere...something like 30 tapes or some such ridiculousness.

he was a great story teller...may he Rest In Peace

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
I never read The Winds of War, but The Caine Mutiny is an excellent book. Significantly different and much better than the movie IMHO.

I believe Mr Wouk was actually stationed on a minesweeper which would explain a lot of the details and knowledge.

While there are good authors today, I feel we shall not see the likes of Herman Wouk again. RIP sir.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6726 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
The Caine Mutiny is one of my favorite books. Just downloaded kindle Winds of War in his honor.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread. I am just finishing this masterpiece. The Caine Mutiny is one of the finest books I've read. Highly recommended.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post