SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Problem with Hollywood
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem with Hollywood Login/Join 
posted
The Drinker lays it out, articulate as always.

ya'll are trained monkeys, here to entertain the court, don't stray out of your lane because in the grand scheme of things, you're not that important

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
This guy's hilarious! (And spot on.)

Watch his review of The Falcon and the Winter Soldier, too

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think their (fauning public) are just tired of the political speeches and movies no one ever sees getting awards for just being,period.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
This article sums it up well for me. From the NYT.
I'm going to miss the movie industry since I've loved movies all my life.

(I bolded the text below since the bolded text pretty well sums it up.)

quote:
WASHINGTON – People are talking about the Oscars this year.

Namely, how they will not look. Many people don’t even realize the show, once a breathless American institution, is Sunday.

Movie stars no longer exist. The films were swallowed up by television and streaming. The theaters are on life support; even the ArcLight on Sunset Boulevard, one of the most beloved movie palaces in a city full of moviegoers, couldn’t be saved.

Eternal Declaration of Norma Desmond – “It is the pictures that have become small!” – never seemed more true.

Sex, glamor, excitement and mystery are relics of a bygone era. Hollywood is now focused on worthy, relevant, socially conscious, and gloomy values.

As one of my Hollywood writer friends said after watching “Nomadland”: “It wasn’t entertainment. It was Frances McDormand having explosive diarrhea in a plastic bucket on a van.

Not a crop of films that make you reach the Junior Mints.

In this grim Oscar season, it’s pathetic that the show’s producers had to send attendees a memorandum reminding them to dress up. No pajamas or sweatshirts, please.

“They’re over – who cares about the Oscars?” said André Leon Talley, author of “The Chiffon Trenches”.

Steven Soderbergh, one of the producers of the show, which will be split between Dolby Theater and Union Station, defended the decision to curb Zooming, telling the Los Angeles Times: “This is not a webinar.”

Brooks Barnes, a Hollywood reporter for the New York Times, put it this way: “The Oscars forgot about their main job – selling Hollywood to the world, being a big, big ad for the Dream Factory, the kind that makes financiers. open their wallets and the aspiring actresses get a feel for when they might be able to stand on this stage and deliver their acceptance speech.

Soderbergh is trying to reset and drag the show back to when it wasn’t a drag, but it might be too late.

Surveys show that low percentages of people who watch films have seen, or even heard of, nominated films. (A whopping 15 percent are even aware of what a “Mank” is.)

There are a lot of changes in Hollywood that are exciting as the content and talent is finally starting to reflect what the country looks like and what it lives in, stories that weren’t decided by the foul bunch of replicating white guys. .

Regina King presented her statuette to the Oscars for her role in “If Beale Street Could Talk”, backstage at the last Oscars in person, in 2019.Credit…Frazer Harrison / Getty Images
This year, nine of the 20 acting appointments went to people of color. Two women were nominated for Best Director and Chloe Zhao is one of the favorites to win for “Nomadland,” which would only make her the second female winner in 93 years of ceremony.

But you still need a happy audience. What Hollywood forgets, at its peril, is that it’s entertainment business, and he must find a way to marry his past storytelling chops with the exciting new forces of his future.

Bill Maher argued on his show that we could use more escape in this year of plague and uproar.

“I don’t have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill you every once in a while to make a movie that doesn’t make me want to take a bath with the toaster?” He said, adding, “The academy nominations were like, ‘Watch what great movies we make.’ Now they say, “Look at what we are good people”. It is not about entertainment, but about suffering, especially yours. “

Leon Wieseltier, editor-in-chief of the literary journal Liberties, agrees that Hollywood has “swapped game and complexity and surprise and depth for virtue.”

Ron Brownstein, who wrote the entertaining new book “Rock Me on the Water”, takes a more optimistic view. He thinks the current turmoil in our culture echoes the early 1970s, which culminated in a golden age for Hollywood, with classics like “Nashville”, “Chinatown” and “Five Easy Pieces”.

There were films by Robert Altman and Arthur Penn that swirled with ideas emerging from stormy social movements.

Later in the decade, there was a reaction from young directors like George Lucas and Steven Spielberg who were less interested in criticizing culture than in entertaining audiences; they wanted the audience to applaud the heroes and hiss at the villains – or sharks.

“Their goal was to rock and exalt, not to demolish the myths created by Hollywood,” said Brownstein.

Lucas said in a speech at the time that he did “American Graffiti” that he did it because “I decided it was time to make a movie where people felt better when they came out. of the theater than entering it. It had become depressing to go there. At the movie theater.”

With streaming, Brownstein said, filmmakers can make more personal stories because movies don’t have to be tent stakes with explosions and special effects, and they “don’t have to be. to make $ 400 million to make a profit ”. But these stories are often less universal, more restricted.

Brownstein sees the same tension now, as it did then, between filmmakers offering critical portraits of the country and people who think it’s a drop.

“The dominant impulse of filmmakers now,” he concluded, “is to show you stories and truths that Hollywood has obscured.”

The Times commits to publish a variety of letters For the publisher. We would love to hear what you think of this article or any of our articles. Here is some advice. And here is our email: letters@nytimes.com.

Follow the Opinion section of the New York Times on Facebook, Twitter (@NYTopinion) and Instagram.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
I usually watch it. And I FF through most of it. Start recording (fuck the pre-show, red carpet bullshit), then FF via pressing the skip button until it’s best actor, actress, supporting, director, film, etc. I’m a big film buff so usually I have seen 90% of the films. They get it right maybe 1 in 3. Many times I’ve watched and couldn’t believe the voting. They used to vote for art, but I dunno, the last 10 years or more, it’s pure politics. And the past 3 years it’s woke-Ville. I didn’t even watch it this year, what the fuck for? I tried to watch that Cow movie. Oh my, the dullest got damn thing I ever seen. I made it 30-40 minutes, ejected it from the player, and put it back in the envelope to send back to Netflix. You can have this shit. I watched I think 2 films of those nominated. I mean just regular viewing for me last year. And I see they got nominated, and said WTF? 2 star films (out of 5) getting Oscar nods? Nah it’s done. Stick a damn fork in it.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
The NYT OpEd posted by radioman struck me as schizophrenic. You have sentences like this.
quote:
Sex, glamor, excitement and mystery are relics of a bygone era. Hollywood is now focused on worthy, relevant, socially conscious, and gloomy values...
They’re over – who cares about the Oscars?” said André Leon Talley, author of “The Chiffon Trenches”

Followed by this.
quote:
There are a lot of changes in Hollywood that are exciting as the content and talent is finally starting to reflect what the country looks like and what it lives in, stories that weren’t decided by the foul bunch of replicating white guys. .

This year, nine of the 20 acting appointments went to people of color. Two women were nominated for Best Director and Chloe Zhao is one of the favorites to win for “Nomadland,” which would only make her the second female winner in 93 years of ceremony.

Then this from Bill Maher.
quote:
“I don’t have to leave the theater whistling, but would it kill you every once in a while to make a movie that doesn’t make me want to take a bath with the toaster?” He said, adding, “The academy nominations were like, ‘Watch what great movies we make.’ Now they say, “Look at what we are good people”. It is not about entertainment, but about suffering, especially yours. “

So, am I incorrect in interpreting this as, “Hollywood makes movies that no one wants to see, but it’s great that many of them are made by people of color, but they make me want to kill myself.” Something like that?

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
When the 'entertainment' industry forgets its purpose is to 'entertain' then the writing's on the wall.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
So, am I incorrect in interpreting this as, “Hollywood makes movies that no one wants to see, but it’s great that many of them are made by people of color, but they make me want to kill myself.” Something like that?

I read it as the author knowingly dancing around the principal problem (too much lecturing and not enough entertainment) but, attempting to bury the lead, sugarcoat and soft-pad it all with 'all the advances' the industry has made.

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
When the 'entertainment' industry forgets its purpose is to 'entertain' then the writing's on the wall.

Pro sports is the same business, and they've forgotten it as well. We watch Tv, we watch movies, we watch sports to get away from this stuff, not to have more of it forced down our throats.

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Part of the issue with Hollywood is that many of the great issues of the 20th century that Hollywood depicted and protested agains in film arent issues anymore (Vietnam, racism, equality of the sexes) but Hollywood doesnt want to admit it and move on to different topics: they are perpetuating the same former issues in a different form.

"Racism is worse now than it was 50 years ago!!"

"Trans issues are the new feminism!!!"

"White men are terrorists!!!"

Its for the most part bullshit but in their echo chamber thats all you hear, and voices of dissent are silenced and cast out and canceled.

They have thus made themselves not only insufferable but also irrelevant.

Anthony Hopkins, who won Best Actor, was home in bed!!

quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
quote:

I read it as the author knowingly dancing around the principal problem (too much lecturing and not enough entertainment) but, attempting to bury the lead, sugarcoat and soft-pad it all with 'all the advances' the industry has made.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
Part of the issue with Hollywood is that many of the great issues of the 20th century that Hollywood depicted and protested agains in film arent issues anymore (Vietnam, racism, equality of the sexes) but Hollywood doesnt want to admit it and move on to different topics: they are perpetuating the same former issues in a different form.

Hollywood and its minions want to rail about social issues and get self-righteous about various social causes however they never look into their own shortcomings; open that closet. The worst aspects of 'toxic corporate culture', 'toppling the patriarchy' and 'lack of representation in casting' can be laid right at the door step of the motion picture industry.

A hypocritical bunch of fools and narcissists, all supporting the very practices that they attempt to lecture and point fingers at in their creations and statements. For all the people who came out against creeps like Weinstein, Spacey, Allen, Polanski, and Singer there's hundreds, thousand more like Streep, Winfrey, Damon and Clooney who looked the other way or, worse, cozying-up to these sickos, waving the allegations as being part of the business.

Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Hollywood “woke” the wrong people & are paying for it..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Them -- "WE HATE YOU!!!"
Us -- "Well.... Bye"
Them -- "I can't believe you did this to me!!!"

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The NYT OpEd posted by radioman struck me as schizophrenic.

Don't know if it was a bad copy/paste or just poorly written, but that article was borderline incoherent. I think I caught the basic gist and probably agree with the premise, but it was hard to read.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
The biggest problem with Hollywood is that it’s in California.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
NOT compromised!
Picture of SIGWALLY
posted Hide Post
After watching The Drinker's video I hit "Subscribe" He did a great job.

Posts: 1527 | Location: Tampa Bay, Florida | Registered: July 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It has been so long since the Oscar nominations included a movie I had actually seen that I stopped watching it years ago. My taste in movies does not match what typically qualifies as a nominee. I've never even heard of any of the "stars" any more.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post