SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Goofy '80-90s martial arts movies you like.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goofy '80-90s martial arts movies you like. Login/Join 
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted

Stumbled across this today. There were so many at the time ranging from mainstream to not so.

What did you like?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
Easy,

Blood Sport . . . JVCD was the ultimate for me:

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3576 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Perfect Weapon is one of my faves....here is my all time favorite!

With this being a close second....

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sho Kosugi got me interested in the martial arts. I enjoyed "Revenge of the Ninja".

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
Being 10 or 11 in the mid 80's I would watch USA network's kung-fu theater every Saturday. They would play 2 some times 3 kung fu movies in a row. I would sit in front of the tv with some pillows and kick the living shit out of them with my karate chops and side kicks.

I got punished weekly for breaking stuff on the tables and making to much noise. Once I did some kind of flying jump kick right into my sister who came walking through the door way. I don't know how she is still living because that was one of those deadly monkey paw tiger claw praying mantis kicks. Her heart was supposed to fall out of her mouth and blood poor from the pores in her skin according to the movies.

Even with all the punishment it never stopped me from being glued to the tv for kung fu theater.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
This unbelieveably cheesy B-flick was the reason I took up shotokan karate. Ultra-cool back then, I now find the fight scenes with the main star all but unwatchable (those with the real black-belted support characters like senseis Stan Schmidt and Norm Robinson are still good).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16268 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty much all of the ninja movies: American Ninja, Revenge of the Ninja, Enter the Ninja, etc. Even the TV series starring Lee Van Cleef...I think it was called The Master.

Perfect Weapon was a favorite of mine, too.

I liked the early Steven Seagal movies, like Above the Law, Hard to Kill, and Under Siege. I don't know if they'd be considered "goofy," though.

Of course, we can't leave out Big Trouble in Little China.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
With this [Kickboxer] being a close second...

I'll always have a soft spot for Kickboxer. My buddies and I in the late '80s traveled into the city to see a double feature of Kickboxer and Night of the Demons. We had a blast. I miss fun cheesy exploitation double features like that.

In the '90s, the UC Theater in Berkeley would have Hong Kong Thursdays where they would show a double feature of '70s to '90s HK films. I saw a ton of martial arts films there - a bunch of Jackie Chan, Jet Li, John Woo, etc. I could be in the foulest of moods and HK Thursdays would just blow the gloom away. I remember loving Sword of Many Lovers, Green Snake, Chinese Ghost Story, The Heroic Trio, and especially 1985's Yes Madam with Michelle Yeoh and Cynthia Rothrock back when Cynthia Rothrock was doing cuh-RA-zy stuff and not her later boring straight-to-VHS martial art flicks.

I also had my celebrity crush on Brigitte Lin-Ching-Hsia, so I ate up all her martial arts movies, like Swordsman 2 & 3, The Bride with White Hair, and Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain. One of the most hilariously hokey ones was 1993's Black Panther Warriors. Loved that one!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Chuck yet? Wow.

I'd add The Karate Kid, cuz cheese.

Kill and Kill again I saw in the theater. I got busted by my mom. I wanted to see it bad (I was 7) so I had to pull some moves to see it. Bought a ticket for some kiddie bs out at the same time, and snuck in. It was awesome until I came out and she had been waiting, and was pissed, figuring out my stunt. Big Grin

If it was a martial arts film in the 70's, 80's or 90's I've seen it. 80's I was big into martial arts. Ended up studying Tae Kwan Do for years, Kung Fu, and a few others but not long enough to master anything in them. Worked with a Bokken, nunchaku, kusarigama.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Nobody has mentioned Chuck yet? Wow.

Because the OP is asking about "goofy" films, not cinematic masterpieces like Mr. Norris' films. Duh.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
This is what happens when one takes themselves too seriously.

This..this is majestic. Big Grin

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
Of course, we can't leave out Big Trouble in Little China.

First one I thought of. Johnny Shitcase did a review of that one (I can't seem to find it any longer) that is classic. Almost as good as his review of ZARDOZ.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8347 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Link to original video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bR_Yqn1D00w

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
It was a great time to be a teenager. Seagal, van damme, speakman, swartzenneggar...

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Shit, I love The Perfect Weapon.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A great time to be a kid.
One of the members already beat me regaring Kung Fu theater.

Every Saturday we would rotate houses to spend the whole afternoon watching the kung fu movies and eating the cupboards dry.

I was a big fan and had a crush on Cynthia Rothrock and Michelle Yeoh. No matter how cheesy their movies were I never missed a one.

I was also a big Michael Dudikoff fan.

A whole gang of us when out on opening day and saw Steven Seagal's "Above the Law".

I loved growing up during this period. The movies and actors were great.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Wax On, Wax Off

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Good Guys Wear Black........the car window scene:

Joe Lewis in Jaguar Lives!:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
TMNT 1,2, 3

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
TMNT 1,2, 3

Awesome movies!!!!

I'll add the wonderfully cheesy films from my childhood, 3 Ninjas 1, 2, 3, 4. I'd argue 1 and 3 are the best as it's the same main cast.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2433 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post