New
Find
Notify
Tools

La La Land Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
I like musicals. I've played lead clarinet and saxophone in several and enjoy everything from Cole Porter to Les Miserable. So, when Mrs. BB61 and the Miss BB61s wanted to watch it last night, I sat down with them. I think I lasted 30 minutes. It. Is. Terrible. It makes Xanadu look like a masterpiece. That the Acadmey of Motion Pictures nominated it for an Academy Award is mind boggling. I'd rather watch Yentl than sit through a showing of La La Land. Wow!

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disagree. I found it to be a fun movie, albeit one with little to no replay value.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Disagree. I found it to be a fun movie, albeit one with little to no replay value.

This morning I asked the female BB61s what they thought? Mrs. BB61 fell asleep the Miss BB61s thought it was strange.

Posts: 12459 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spectemur Agendo
Picture of brecaidra
posted Hide Post
Did you ever see 'Nine?' Now there is a strange musical. Most of the cast members have talent and I enjoyed some of the routines, but still strange.

I've been looking forward to seeing La La Land; we shall see.

SIGforum's triple minority

"It can't rain all the time." - Eric Draven

Posts: 16993 | Location: IA | Registered: May 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
If you watched La La Land you gotta watch Bang Bang Baby...

The film stars Jane Levy as Stepphy, a teenager living in the small town of Lonely Arms whose dreams of becoming a famous singer are dashed when her alcoholic father George (Peter Stormare) refuses to let her enter a singing competition in New York City. Her fate may change, however, when her idol Bobby Shore (Justin Chatwin) shows up in town after his car breaks down. Meanwhile, a dangerous leak at the local chemical plant is beginning to turn the local townsfolk into mutants.

The movie has a David Lynch atmosphere and also has musical numbers which are entertaining as well. Did La La Land come from this?
Watch it and decide for yourself...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BB61:
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:

This morning I asked the female BB61s what they thought? Mrs. BB61 fell asleep the Miss BB61s thought it was strange.

My wife and daughter felt similarly about the movie; perhaps they liked it s bit more than me.

Posts: 3536 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
After watching the preview on Apple TV, I told my daughter and her boyfriendd that I would rather drill deckscrews into my kneecaps than watch that.

Posts: 5694 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. I doubt I'll buy the DVD.

Posts: 7521 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
The movie was utter garbage.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
We started watching it last week. About a third the way through, my PS3 hiss, popped and died. I blame this phenomenon on a crappy musical.

I tried to fix my machine with a good war movie but no joy.

The musical went back to Redbox and the PS3 went in the garbage.

I won't make that mistake again.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
LaLaLand was supposed to take a bunch of Oscars including best Picture, but Hollyweird being totally PC today picked some Movie no one heard of. What a laugh.

Posts: 4472 | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
As predictable and familiar a plot as it was, I actually enjoyed it more than I'd anticipated...then again, I have a bit of a thing for Emma Stone, so that probably helped. As mentioned by others, not worthy of a rewatch, but it made for a relatively pleasant afternoon at the theater.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it on a no-child date night and we both really enjoyed it. But then, I like musicals, and there is Emma Stone. Predictable. I disliked the beginning, and Gosling wasn't likeable, or quite up to the role in general.

And a friend who I greatly respect thought it was essentially crap, so I suspect that without the benefit of the altered state of date night that I may not like it if revisited.

Posts: 516 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I saw it and thought it was OK. The biggest predictor of whether you will like it or not is how much you like Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Their song and dance numbers are some of the weakest parts of the film, but if you're a Stone &/or Gosling fan, you'll be impressed not by how well they sing and dance, but that they can sing and dance at all.

If you're a big fan of the mid-20th Century Hollywood musicals La La Land pays homage to, such as Fred Astaire and Gene Kelly films, then you'll probably be let down, b/c again, the musical numbers are entirely forgettable.

The saving grace for me was the epilogue, b/c Chazelle had the guts not to tack on a formulaic happy ending and gave viewers something to think about. Also, IMHO neither Stone nor Gosling deserved Best Actress and Actor nominations much less Stone winning the Oscar.

Posts: 3185 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by k5blazer:
After watching the preview on Apple TV, I told my daughter and her boyfriendd that I would rather drill deckscrews into my kneecaps than watch that.

I'd go ahead and watch the frickin movie, but that's just me Big Grin

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by satch:
LaLaLand was supposed to take a bunch of Oscars including best Picture, but Hollyweird being totally PC today picked some Movie no one heard of. What a laugh.

Moonlight won best picture. And everyone heard about it, maybe not the average Fakebook surfing, binge American Idol watching American however.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12622 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Michael Beck is a national treasure. Don't be dismissive of Xanadu. Roller skating was huge back then.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We watched it last night. My wife said she wanted to watch a comedy or a romance. I liked it a lot. I agree that the ending brought a depth to the story which has stayed with me.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently borrowed this movie, it was a pleasant movie but, not Oscar nominee worthy. I don't believe any of the performances was deserving of any accolades other than being amazed a modern actor would even attempt anything like singing or, dancing...at the SAME TIME. Eek Everyone I know who's from the LA-area gushed and couldn't stop taking about this movie, common' settle down, the best LA on-scene movies are LA Story and LA Confidential and Heat.

I did notice that one of Stone's roommates, the one in yellow dress, played the robot/servant that did the dance scene with Oscar Issacs' character in Ex Machina.

Posts: 14636 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I've got a cousin who's a professional musician. He plays piano, keyboards, sings, is musical director, etc. for a lot of live musicals and from what I've heard, is never impressed by musical movies because more often than not the leads are not professional singers and dancers, and a pro can easily spot that. Might be the same situation for the OP. To casual observers, stuff like LLL might seem pretty flawless, but not to people who are around and work with polished singers a lot, they can tell there are others who aren't so famous who could do a lot better job.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post