New
Find
Notify
Tools

NFL thug humor Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Apparently at the beginning of Sunday's Patriots vs Ravens game on NBC, two of the Raven's starting defensive players tried to be funny. Normally their picture is flashed and they verbally cite the college/university they attended. One cited an elementary school and another simply said "body by Taco Bell." WTF? LOL

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16179 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I've seen a player do something like that from time to time. I remember back in the day when Dandy Don, Frank and Howard were broadcasting they were introducing players and a shot of Otis Sistrunk came up and Dandy Don said he was from the University of Mars. Big Grin

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2081 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
I think that little trend started a few years back. As I recall the guys would say "Booker T Washington High School" or the like. Then it went to their elementary school.

At first I thought they were angry with their alma mater, but I'm not sure why they really do it...

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
Could be a response to the Key & Peele "East West Game" skit

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
I think that little trend started a few years back. As I recall the guys would say "Booker T Washington High School" or the like. Then it went to their elementary school.

At first I thought they were angry with their alma mater, but I'm not sure why they really do it...

Probably the guys who never actually attended any classes in college.

Posts: 7260 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:

I know of at least one former NFL player who was bitter against his college team. Laveranues Coles was dismissed from the FSU football team, and most likely discontinued his enrollment, seeing as he was no longer on scholarship.

He had a good career as a WR over ten years, mostly with the Jets. Whenever he was asked to announce his alma mater, he would say his HS.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
I've met a couple of players and asked them directly... the responses ranged from those that took it seriously, and those that got tired of the weekly 'dog and pony' and do it to break up the monotony.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
...and those that got tired of the weekly 'dog and pony' and do it to break up the monotony.

That was my thought, that they find it as stupid and irrelevant as I do.

Posts: 21092 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ggile:
I've seen a player do something like that from time to time. I remember back in the day when Dandy Don, Frank and Howard were broadcasting they were introducing players and a shot of Otis Sistrunk came up and Dandy Don said he was from the University of Mars. Big Grin

Otis was one of the rare NFL players who did not go to college

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Taco Bell gave out free Tacos to everyone in the Baltimore area thanks to Matt Judon...so I am OK with it!

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
I've met a couple of players and asked them directly... the responses ranged from those that took it seriously, and those that got tired of the weekly 'dog and pony' and do it to break up the monotony.

I've heard the same, it's mostly in good humor, the introductions and advertising clips take-up time that they'd rather be doing something else. It's part of the job so most just take it in stride and get it over with, not sure I'd look at it as 'Thug Humor'.

There's a few who have an axe to grind with the school they attended. We all know there's a good number of players who by all rights, should never have attended college and usually say their high school. I have zero affinity to the high school I attended, some people though, it was the peak of their life experience...Uncle Rico. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14630 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
maybe that is the last school from which they graduated without under the table help with their grades.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post