Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tomb Raider Login/Join 
Picture of Citadel
posted
Saw it. Decent movie. I'd give it a B. Alica Vikander I would not have picked for the role. She played it well, Worked her ass off to get ready for the part but would not have been my first choice. Oliva Wilde and Gemma Arterton I think would have made better choices. Both were mentioned as possible candidates for the film.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I want to see this but haven't because I've been sick all week.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I must be getting old because I could have sworn Tomb Raider was already done and not all that long ago?

Posts: 33777 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I must be getting old because I could have sworn Tomb Raider was already done and not all that long ago?

After Jolie's roles they did a prequel video game of a young Lara Croft that altered her backstory and was essentially intended as a reboot.

So now they've made a prequel reboot movie of the prequel reboot game.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5540 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Don't care for Vikander. And think she's miscast for the role.

I may watch it when it's available on Prime (free). Not really too interested in it, especially to pay to see.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12714 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Citadel:
Saw it. Decent movie. I'd give it a B. Alica Vikander I would not have picked for the role. She played it well, Worked her ass off to get ready for the part but would not have been my first choice. Oliva Wilde and Gemma Arterton I think would have made better choices. Both were mentioned as possible candidates for the film.

Arterton would have been my pick. Will see it when it's out on digital. I hope someday the video game movie curse will be broken.

Posts: 1188 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
I saw the flick. It was fun to watch. I liked the reboot video game a bunch too.

Posts: 13047 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Don't care for Vikander. And think she's miscast for the role.

Yup. Vikander is a former ballerina, 5'4" and barely 100lbs. There's no way (I get it, TR is fantasy) that such a tiny frame is going to be able to do all the things that Lara Croft is purported to be able to do. Female superheros should have the physique of a gymnast or swimmer: developed butt/thighs, back and shoulders. Katrina Law would've been perfect, martial arts background and plenty of physical roles in the resume. Studios need a name to carry the film, Vikander is the it-girl right now amongst movie critics but, Wilde would've been a better choice as she's taller and done more physical roles.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Saw it yesterday. I thought it was good, not great, but good.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Saw it with a friend who thinks the game reboot is the best Tomb Raider ever. I have not seen the video game reboot, nor have I played any of the games. I enjoyed Angelina’s role as Boob Raider, which fit with the early game characterization of Croft.

But this movie actually seemed better than just being a movie about a video game. Since I had not even heard of the game reboot I didn’t know how it was supposed to differ from the earlier movies, but it did well enough as just a movie that I enjoyed it.

I didn’t know who Vikander was before seeing the previews, and my initial thought was along the lines of ‘well, she’s no Angelina’. But that’s the point of this movie, and the game reboot too I expect. Even during the opening sequence of the movie I was dubious, but she not only pulls it off as an actress, the movie pulls it off too. It is a better movie than the earlier movies.

Wilde is too old for this movie, and Atherton wouldn’t have been any more muscular (bulked) because female stars don’t do that. Vikander is toned enough that the physicality seems realistic, plus she comes across as much younger than she is.

I look forward to more Vikander Tomb Raider movies, as long as they don’t PC the gun usage.

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
It was ok...I missed Angelina's breasts lol.

Posts: 7796 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
It was ok...I missed Angelina's breasts lol.

Mixing up some media... So say we all.

And nobodies going to be making any little Jolie’s, either.

Vikander has a different body type, true. But it’s damn good for that type. Razz

Posts: 517 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post