SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Arrival (2016)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrival (2016) Login/Join 
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
Nowhere near as good as it's Rotten Tomatoes scores. And very slooooooowwwww.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10350 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it last night. We liked it. The 'twist' was pretty cool.

Definitely worth the $4.99 Amazon rental but I like space movies about meeting Aliens.

-----------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it was pretty cool. Just finished it. Was my sound off or were the lows really overwhelming in some parts?

Semi-spoiler alert............

Did I understand correctly they wanted to give us technology so we could help them later on?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Yeah, it was pretty cool. Just finished it. Was my sound off or were the lows really overwhelming in some parts?

Semi-spoiler alert............

Did I understand correctly they wanted to give us technology so we could help them later on?

SPOILER - Yes, 3,000 years later. Their "gift" was their language.

Hard to believe same director as Sicario.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I got that. Be a long wait for the sequel. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16177 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am all for movies that make you think vice cgi blow em up stuff. But do you have to bore me silly to get to the reveal? It was a cool twist but my goodness they took their time getting there.

I didn't think it was a very good movie. It COULD have been a good movie. But no.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E Plebmnista; Norcom, Forcom, Perfectumum.
Picture of OneWheelDrive
posted Hide Post
A related story that people who speak more than one language tend to perceive time differently.

http://www.independent.co.uk/l...panish-a7715146.html
Researchers suggested being bilingual may also bring long-term benefits for mental wellbeing

OLIVIA BLAIR
@livblair

For those who can only speak one language, people who have the ability to speak multiple are often a source of fascination. What language do they think in? Can they switch mid-way through? Do they only dream in one language or both?

It turns out, these questions are not without merit as people who can speak two languages actually experience time in a different way.

A study from Lancaster University and Stockholm University, published in the Journal of Experimental Psychology, found that people who are bilingual think about time differently depending on the language context in which they are estimating the duration of events.

Linguists Professor Panos Athanasopoulos and Professor Emanuel Bylund explained that bilinguals often go back and forth between their languages both consciously and unconsciously.

Additionally, different languages often refer to time differently. For example, Swedish and English speakers refer to physical distances: ‘Taking a short break’ while Spanish speakers refer to physical quantities and volume: ‘Taking a small break’.

The researchers asked native Swedish speakers who also spoke Spanish to estimate how much time had passed while watching either a line growing across a screen or a container being filled. Participants were prompted to use the work ‘duracion’ (the Spanish word for duration) or ‘tid’ (the Swedish equivalent).

When prompted by Spanish words, bilinguals based their estimates on volume relating to a container being filled. When prompted by Swedish words they switched their behaviour and suddenly gave time estimates in distance, referring to the lines travelled, rather than volume.

What being bilingual does to your brain
Professor Athanasopoulos said the results showed our language creeps into our everyday emotions and perceptions more than we realise.

“The fact that bilinguals go between these different ways of estimating time effortlessly and unconsciously fits in with a growing body of evidence demonstrating the ease with which language can creep into our most basic senses, including our emotions, visual perception, and now it turns out, sense of time,” he said.

Professor Athanasopoulos also suggested the results show that bilinguals are more “flexible thinkers” than those who just speak one language.

“There is evidence to suggest that mentally going back and forth between different languages on a daily basis confers advantages on the ability to learn and multi-task, and even long-term benefits for mental well-being,” he said.

================================================
Ultron: "You're unbearably naive."
Vision: "Well, I was born yesterday."

Posts: 4779 | Location: St. Louis, Mo | Registered: March 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
thought it was horrible

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post