SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Arrival (2016)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Arrival (2016) Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
IMDB: 11 November 2016 release

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Is this a remake of the original The Arrival with Charlie Sheen way back when? I always kind of liked that movie.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
Is this a remake of the original The Arrival with Charlie Sheen way back when? I always kind of liked that movie.
This one is based on the short story Story of You Life.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
I'm interested, but I like most every alien sort of movie anyway.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:

That was the very first thing I thought of as well.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30299 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Funny. I just saw most of, accidentally, The Second Arrival - the made for TV Canada sequel to the Sheen film.

This looks a lot better.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
This was excellent. It's the polar opposite of 'Independence Day'.
Very thought provoking . No war/fighting and such. I'd say more but don't want to spoil.
It's an intellectual alien film instead of a shoot em up.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
I like Jodie Foster's Contact. This looks like it is in the same mold of smart SciFi.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
I'm curious, but most of these type movies turn out to be so cheesy once the big reveal occurs.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's based on a short story, "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang. After seeing the trailer of this movie and being impatient, I read the story. I really enjoyed it. Being a short story, though, it was lean and mean. Seems like for the movie they had to bulk it up quite a lot, but I'm optimistic.

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
This is the first time I've seen bogus scenes (that are never shown in the feature film) in a trailer.

quote:
Originally posted by 1gkek:
It's based on a short story, "Story of Your Life" by Ted Chiang. After seeing the trailer of this movie and being impatient, I read the story. I really enjoyed it. Being a short story, though, it was lean and mean. Seems like for the movie they had to bulk it up quite a lot, but I'm optimistic.
It's good you read the story, as a couple things are changed or omitted in the movie; the first one is not important, but the second really explained things in my mind.

highlight to read [ the way they found out about heptapod time, and it's implications ]

Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
This is the first time I've seen bogus scenes (that are never shown in the feature film) in a trailer.

Star Trek (the real omes before the JJ reboot) had these. Some trailers had scenes from previous movies, and one Next Gen movie trailer had scenes from the Next Gen tv show. Generally, the more of these scenes they had, the worse the movies were (meaning they had to pad the trailers because the films were dull).

Its never a good sign when a trailer resorts to this.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
I'm curious, but most of these type movies turn out to be so cheesy once the big reveal occurs.

Not this one.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The short story is available in audio on youtube here: https://youtu.be/JhniOJCnpZ8

Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang, 1999 [read by Abby Craden]

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
The short story is available in audio on youtube here: https://youtu.be/JhniOJCnpZ8

Story of Your Life by Ted Chiang, 1999 [read by Abby Craden]
Story of Your Life starts at around 39:03.

All Generalizations
Are False
Picture of md-lucky
posted Hide Post
Saw it last night.

Thought it was very well done. Really enjoyed it.

I hate to say too much at the risk of spoilers, but it really left you thinking "man.. What would YOU do?"

I recommend it. It will be thoroughly spoiled if you wait until it comes out on video... But still would be worth seeing.

"At best, the assault weapons ban can have only a limited effect on total gun murders, because the banned weapons and magazines were never involved in more than a modest fraction of all gun murders." Department of Justice study conducted by Jeffrey Roth and Christopher Koper

Posts: 2339 | Registered: January 23, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I saw it yesterday and found it quite good.
Amy Adams turned in a great performance.
I was genuinely shocked at the 'reveal.'

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diogenes' Quarry
Picture of at-home-daddy
posted Hide Post
Saw it a couple nights ago with the family. On one hand smart, intriguing, emotional; on the other hand, a little redundant, kind of slow in spots, a bit predictable. Overall, it doesn't quite live up to the acclaim, but I'd give it a solid B.

It was an interesting twist (though I'd hesitate to go as far as to call it a twist, at least not really in the vein of a M. Night Shyamalan production, for instance), but it certainly wasn't the shocker that some reviews have suggested it is. It added a great deal of emotional power (the "emotion" I mention above) in the last few minutes of the film when it became clear what the setup was, but it otherwise created an "Oh, okay" reaction than a "Wow!" one. Did I see it coming? No, not really, but it was so gradually revealed that the surprise was a bit muted.

All that said, in this era of CGI-laden sci-fi action flicks (though this had its share of CGI, of course, but it served the story well), it was nice to see a smart alternative.

Posts: 5088 | Location: Western WA  | Registered: October 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I was expecting so much more. It reminded me of numerous other alien movies. The old Contact movie was a little better to me.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I watched it last night (Redbox). I thought it was too slow moving, always darkly lit, effects and background music louder than the talking, and not understandable. I had to google it afterwards to figure out what the takeaway was. But then, I don't like to have to think too hard when being entertained.

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post