SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Question on Hunt for Red October
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question on Hunt for Red October Login/Join 
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted
When Jack is meeting with Fred Dalton Thompson, and I presume the XO, why did Jack apologize for and why was the XO so offended by his wearing of the uniform?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The CAG was upset that a CIA Officer was wearing the uniform of a naval officer. That’s the reason he softened somewhat when Admiral Painter told him “Academy, class of ‘72”

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He wasn't military.

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And why does Thompson's character act surprised when Ryan tells him the uniform was Greer's idea? "You work for Jim Greer?" After Ryan leaves and he tells the XO he went to the Academy and the XO asks how he knows that he interjects "Greer told me." So he already knew Ryan's background and that he worked for Greer right?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 683 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Puckpilot78:
And why does Thompson's character act surprised when Ryan tells him the uniform was Greer's idea? "You work for Jim Greer?" After Ryan leaves and he tells the XO he went to the Academy and the XO asks how he knows that he interjects "Greer told me." So he already knew Ryan's background and that he worked for Greer right?

To make Ryan think he (Thompson) knows less than he does?

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." -Jeff Cooper

Posts: 8755 | Location: UT | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
When Jack is meeting with Fred Dalton Thompson, and I presume the XO, why did Jack apologize for and why was the XO so offended by his wearing of the uniform?

1. The uniform was a cover, the idea is to keep everyone in the dark that a CIA OP was going on, everyone on the COD flight and aboard the carrier, just assumes Ryan is 'just another Navy officer' coming out to the boat.
2. Adm Greer, head of CIA, knows Adm Painter, and knew he could confide in him the actual goings on to include the uniform ruse.
3. Ryan is a former USMC officer, who graduated from Annapolis.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
I believe that Ryan graduated from Boston College, got his commission via OCS, and taught at Annapolis.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
I believe that Ryan graduated from Boston College, got his commission via OCS, and taught at Annapolis.

In Hunt for Red October, Ryan is a USNA graduate, survivor of a helo crash his senior year.

In the Prime show, he's a BC grad.

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
So not to split hairs, but what's the rub?

He's a USMC officer, now CIA officer in a USN officer uniform?

He's a CIA officer in a USN officer uniform?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Quiet Man
posted Hide Post
He’s a CIA officer wearing a USN Officers uniform that as far as the CAG knows he didn’t earn. Folks get offended when you use their uniform as a costume.

Posts: 2590 | Registered: November 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by copaup:
He’s a CIA officer wearing a USN Officers uniform that as far as the CAG knows he didn’t earn. Folks get offended when you use their uniform as a costume.

Yep, this.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Folks get offended when you use their uniform as a costume.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post