SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    HBOMax's "Valley of Tears"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

HBOMax's "Valley of Tears" Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
Pretty interesting series on the Yom Kippur War, from the Israeli side (it's an Israeli production). Some great Centurion action, and I'm hoping this intel weenie at Mount Hebron grows some balls.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've got that up next on my "To Watch" list. I'm a big fan of Israeli military history.

If you like this series and want more IDF war stuff to watch, check out "Beaufort" and "Lebanon", a couple of good Israeli war films set in the more recent First Lebanon War in 1982. Beaufort is about a unit of infantry holed up in a fortification under siege, and Lebanon is set in a Merkava tank and deals with the crew's claustrophobic view of the war happening outside.

The Netflix series "Fauda" is also excellent, although it's about a modern day undercover IDF special operations unit, and doesn't have as much traditional military action. It's more like "24" or "Jack Ryan" than a standard "war/military series".

There are also some older Hollywood films that deal with the Israeli War of Independence, including "Exodus" with Paul Newman and "Cast a Giant Shadow" with Kirk Douglas.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I’m going to check it out.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Rogue, where did you find "Beaufort" and "Lebanon"?

I did watch "Fauda", it wasn't bad. I've also seen the older ones. "Cast a Giant Shadow" is pretty awesome.

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I watched them both on disc about a decade ago, back when Netflix was mail-order.

A quick Google says that Lebanon is available to rent for $2.99 through Amazon Prime, and Beaufort can be watched on Kanopy (with a free streaming account through your local public library).

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just watched the trailer for "Beaufort"...I watched it a long time ago! I remember the EOD scene.

When the will is strong, everything is easy
Picture of celticwolf
posted Hide Post
If you can find it, check out "Operation Thunderbolt".

I watched it 20 Years ago when Netflix had a dvd service.

Same thing with "Entebbe".

"You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of
avoiding reality." Ayn Rand

Posts: 2125 | Location: AZ | Registered: April 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post