SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Ernest Shackleton book recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ernest Shackleton book recommendations Login/Join 
posted
We're visiting Antarctica in Feb 2019, I've got time to read up on some of the grueling expeditions. Found this after a quick search, does anyone suggest others?

https://www.amazon.com/Shackle...ackelton%27s+journey

I'm pretty sure our ship plans to stop on South Georgia to visit his grave, but all shore excursions are weather dependent.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Endurance by Alfred Lansing. Terrific book.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
"Endurance"!

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Visiting Antarctica?

I didn’t even know this was a thing.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17246 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the book recommendation, my library is getting it for me.

There are several tour companies that sail out of southern Argentina. An SF member suggested Tauck, here's what we're taking end of Feb (summer in the southern hemisphere):

http://www.tauck.com/tours/ant...-cruise-xr-2019.aspx

The "Penguin Post Office" program is what got me interested a few years ago:

https://www.pbs.org/video/nature-penguin-post-office/

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
I am the SF member Sigmund refers to in his post.

Several tour companies, like Tauck, offer tours to Antarctica and book cabins on various cruise ships, like the L'Austral or Le Soléal – both smaller cruise ships/yachts operated by the French cruise line company Compagnie du Ponant. Some major cruise lines, like Holland America, also travel to Antarctica, but cannot offer landings on shore due to the large number of passengers on board. Various treaties and agreements, particularly the International Association of Antarctica Tour Operators, limits the number of passengers that may be ashore from a vessel at any one time to 100. Hence, in order to get passengers sufficient time on shore the ship is limited to a smaller number of passengers.

Our first cruise to Antarctica back in January 2002 was on the m/v Marco Polo; she could carry ~800 pax but only carried about half that many on our Antarctic cruise. In January we’ll go back for our second voyage to the southern continent and be on Seabourn’s Quest, which carries up to 450 passengers.

IMO, probably the most noted ships that visit the Antarctic these days are National Geographic’s Orion and Explorer.

I highly recommend a cruise to Antarctica if the opportunity arises. The wildlife and scenery are absolutely breathtaking.

From our 2002 trip:

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
Visiting Antarctica?

I didn’t even know this was a thing.

My dad wanted to visit all the continents. They visited Antarctica a few years. They took a smallish ship from Rio, and spent a few days looking around Antarctica. They took small boats to land on shore. They saw penguins, seals, and the scenery was something else. Even my mom, who was skeptical, enjoyed it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They took small boats to land on shore.

Zodiacs these days.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the book Endurance on the shelf but haven’t read it yet.

I did enjoy Alone by Byrd.

Posts: 506 | Location: Alaska | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Another good Antarctica read is, "Scott of the Antarctic", by David Crane.

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There isn't much reason to spend a lot of time endorsing what others have already said is a wonderful book. That said I endorse their recommendations wholeheartedly. I first read this book in the late 70s and was profoundly affected. It is an amazing story, if it weren't true you would certainly think it was fiction.

Your time will not be wasting as you read this story.

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
Endurance by Alfred Lansing. Terrific book.

OUTSTANDING book with great photos, I just finished it. The hardships those men endured are simply amazing.

The Bishop Of Death
posted Hide Post
Another good book that tells the other half of the story:

"Shackleton's Forgotten Men: The Untold Tale of an Antarctic Tragedy"

"This is a dramatic true story of Antarctic tragedy and survival among the heroic group that was to lay supplies across the Great Ross Ice Shelf in preparation for the Endurance expedition. Launched by Shackleton (and led by Captain Aenaes Mackintosh), this courageous crew completed the longest sledge journey in polar history (199 days) and endured near-unimaginable deprivation. They accomplished most of their mission, laying the way for those who never came. All suffered; some died. Now Australian writer Lennard Bickel honors these forgotten heroes. Largely drawn from the author's interviews with surviving team member Dick Richards, this retelling underscores the capacity of ordinary men for endurance and noble action."

Under Construction

Posts: 361 | Location: Western North Carolina | Registered: September 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post