SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Two Oscar performances, Darkest Hour and Molly’s Game
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Two Oscar performances, Darkest Hour and Molly’s Game Login/Join 
Picture of Prefontaine
posted
Saw both of these films this weekend.

Darkest Hour has some of Gary Oldman’s finest work. Getting Churchill’s speech, and what I would call a speech impediment down, wow. It was not a typical war film. Mostly politics, lefties getting fought, etc, and I have to say one of the best year’s films. Those f’s In Hollywood tend to drop the really solid, worth your money films this time of year for Oscar consideration. The film was brilliant. Slow and steady pace, a drama not a rat tat tat film with planes dogfighting or trenches. Most of it government work. But Gary nailed the part. I watched and marveled at his work in this film. A very special actor than consumes his character so well you don’t know where the character ends and he begins. Gary may get the Oscar for this his performance was so incredible. Solid film.

Molly’s Game was something altogether different. Jessica Chastain, for me, has cemented herself as the best actress in Hollyweird. She keeps taking on strong women for roles and this may be her finest work. She really blew me away in this film, and I’ve seen all her prior work. It is definitely her finest work. She just keeps getting better and better. I can’t think of another actress acting today that could have pulled this off. Idris Elba was also excellent. Sorkin’s Direction for his directorial debut, man he couldn’t put a foot wrong in my eyes. He wrote a Few Good Men and a few other noteworthy films but this is his first behind the cameras. Incredible job and just an incredible film. It displaced Good Time as the best film I’ve seen in the last 12 months.

I’d go into both films in-depth but don’t want any spoilers. I felt like I’ve just seen the best male and female acting in the last year. The history and war buffs will very much like Darkest Hour but go in knowing it’s not Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan. It’s Parliament and government, all dialogue and drama. For me completely fascinating as to the inner political workings in Britain as Hitler invaded Europe. And some nice, dare I say, outstanding digs at the Frogs and their cowardice.

Mollly’s Game is a film you should take your wife to see, as a very strong woman and highly intelligent woman is on full display, complete with all her faults and failings. Very good writing, great jokes and comebacks, extremely witty, and intelligent dialogue. It works fast and furious and you need to pay attention to most every line. Jessica is really making many good actors look like hacks, she’s just that good. Nobody else could have pulled that off, and she didn’t even look like she was trying hard. My film of the year and I never would have expected to say that.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just saw Molly's Game with my wife. Very well-acted. I'd say if not so well-acted it would be just a good movie. Jessica Chastain is extremely talented, and gorgeous too.

Have not seen Darkest Hour. I will eventually.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
i've seen both of those at the theater, twice.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
OP: Thank you for posting about these two films.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
i've seen both of those at the theater, twice.

I’m seeing All the Money In the World this evening but I will see Molly’s Game again in the theater before the run is over. Jessica just hit the rare grand slam. Her beauty is only eclipsed by her acting. So rare to find both in the same person.

Posts: 12569 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
AtMitW is not bad. Another good one, that's a limited release here, is I, Tonya.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Prefontaine,
Thanks for your post. I just saw the Zookeeper’s wife recently and enjoyed Jessica’s performance in that.
Based on what you posted, I looked up Miss Sloane and watched that. I’m enjoyed that very much as well.
I’ll be sure to check out Molly’s Game.
ETA: I’ve always liked Oldman’s work. I’ll be watching for that to come out on Amazon as well.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Based on what you posted, I looked up Miss Sloane and watched that. I’m enjoyed that very much as well.

Isn't that a blatant pro-gun-control propaganda piece?

Posts: 32431 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Yes,
Nonetheless, well acted, and (spoiler) if you watch the show, you’ll see a law abiding, guntoting private citizen (ex-military) saved someone’s life and put their whole stance into a tailspin.
Granted, I was watching my son at the same time, so I may have missed some nuances, and I’m sure there were several. It’s free on Prime, and she and the other actors in it did a good job, imho. Intense.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
AtMitW is not bad. Another good one, that's a limited release here, is I, Tonya.

It was alright, nothing noteworthy. Still need to see the Shape of Water, Post, I Tonya, and Lady Bird. I really wish they would not put all the solid films out at once but it’s obvious why they do. Makes it a pita to see them all. Lady Bird they are already pulling showtimes locally.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Yes,
Nonetheless, well acted, and (spoiler) if you watch the show, you’ll see a law abiding, guntoting private citizen (ex-military) saved someone’s life and put their whole stance into a tailspin.
Granted, I was watching my son at the same time, so I may have missed some nuances, and I’m sure there were several. It’s free on Prime, and she and the other actors in it did a good job, imho. Intense.

You didn’t miss anything, you nailed it. A gun toting citizen saves someone’s life and tunes are changed, sides are flipped. Jessica was also f’ing spectacular in Zero Dark Thirty, playing a very strong female lead. She is an amazing actress.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
It was alright, nothing noteworthy. Still need to see the Shape of Water, Post, I Tonya, and Lady Bird. I really wish they would not put all the solid films out at once but it’s obvious why they do. Makes it a pita to see them all. Lady Bird they are already pulling showtimes locally.
I'm also waiting for Paul Thomas Anderson's film (Phantom Thread), and Michael Haneke's (Happy End).

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2: I'm also waiting for Paul Thomas Anderson's film (Phantom Thread), and Michael Haneke's (Happy End).

Paul is a personal favorite, 20 years now. I was very impressed with Inherent Vice. And Magnolia is top ten for me, of all time. One of few perfect films I’ve ever seen. Always look forward to his work as he takes long periods off. Daniel Day, Paul directing, and a period piece, /game over, will be there. Period pieces are my favorites.

I Tonya tomorrow. Have to see Allison Janney’s Performance. She is very underrated.

california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
I Tonya tomorrow. Have to see Allison Janney’s Performance. She is very underrated.
She stole this one. lmfao.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
quote:
She stole this one. lmfao.

She was great, just not enough of her. Polar opposite from her performance in American Beauty.
This character was, in a lot of ways, like her Juno character. She was hilarious in this, especially in the beginning.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Batty67:
Just saw Molly's Game with my wife. Very well-acted. I'd say if not so well-acted it would be just a good movie. Jessica Chastain is extremely talented, and gorgeous too.

Have not seen Darkest Hour. I will eventually.

Same here, just saw Molly's Game too with same response ^^^^.

Posts: 22860 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
My wife and I saw Molly’s Game last night. Chastain’s performance was outstanding, but so is the story itself. I did a little research about the real Molly Bloom. The movie did a very credible job of telling her story. She’s beautiful in her own right, and “strong woman” is an understatement.

For those that haven’t looked a little further into the story: three of the actors known to have played in the LA games were, Ben Affleck, Leo DiCaprio, and Tobey Maguire. Maguire’s character seems to be covered by Michael Cera as “Player X.” Sounds like Maguire is a bigger asshole than the one Cera portrays in the movie.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I have admit that I’m surprised that resurrecting this thread hasn’t generated any further responses. This movie has recently been released by the premium movie channels. I figured, like myself, a few that did not see Molly’s Game in the theatre might have caught it now. Kind of funny sometimes, the threads that take off.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
I have admit that I’m surprised that resurrecting this thread hasn’t generated any further responses. This movie has recently been released by the premium movie channels. I figured, like myself, a few that did not see Molly’s Game in the theatre might have caught it now. Kind of funny sometimes, the threads that take off.

Chastain has become numero uno to me as a current actress. She has done the trifecta of roles in recent years. Zero Dark Thirty, Ms. Sloane, and Molly’s Game. She could have won an Oscar for all 3 but no question should have won for Zero and Molly’s Game. Such strong female performances to the tune of being absolutely incredible. Was blown away by her performance in each. Playing highly intelligent strong women. Not a lot of people care man. They want Transformers, Superhos, dumbed down stuff, CGI stuff, etc.

Recondite Raider
Picture of lizardman_u
posted Hide Post
Saw Molly's Game this weekend with my wife (recorded it from Showtime so we could watch without the kids).

What great story telling, and acting.

Posts: 3564 | Location: Boardman, Oregon | Registered: September 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post