SIGforum
Scent of a Woman

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/720601935/m/2740028534

January 07, 2018, 07:05 PM
LS1 GTO
Scent of a Woman
Just saw this for the first time (it's leaving HBO streaming).

This is a great movie. If you've never seen it, I strongly recommend it.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

January 07, 2018, 07:47 PM
Gustofer
HoooAhhh.

January 07, 2018, 07:53 PM
sigspecops
It's not everyday you get to see a blind guy drive a Ferrari.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain
January 07, 2018, 08:09 PM
cne32507
I enjoyed the film when it came out. I did not realize at the time that this was to be his acting persona from then on. IMO, Al P. should have retired while he was on top (Godfather II). In his later films, starting with this one, he was over the top: no subtlety; just loud.
January 07, 2018, 08:43 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by cne32507:
I enjoyed the film when it came out. I did not realize at the time that this was to be his acting persona from then on. IMO, Al P. should have retired while he was on top (Godfather II). In his later films, starting with this one, he was over the top: no subtlety; just loud.

But a really great performance. Told the wife it's a once every other year movie worth buying.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

January 07, 2018, 10:51 PM
Rey HRH
quote:

I saw Scent of a Woman. Then I saw another movie where the other character was a Virtual Woman against Pacino. Then I saw where Pacino was head of a law firm and Tom Cruise was a lawyer.

I got the same impression that he played the same character the same way. I'm even thinking he played the same character in the movie where he goes "Say hello to my little friend."

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 08, 2018, 05:51 AM
Chris17404
One of my favorite films! So many life lessons in there.

January 08, 2018, 06:57 AM
Floyd D. Barber
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
quote:

I saw Scent of a Woman. Then I saw another movie where the other character was a Virtual Woman against Pacino. Then I saw where Pacino was head of a law firm and Tom Cruise was a lawyer.
I got the same impression that he played the same character the same way. I'm even thinking he played the same character in the movie where he goes "Say hello to my little friend."

Then I saw where Pacino was head of a law firm and Tom Cruise was a lawyer.

I think you're combing a couple of movies.
Not sure if Pacino and Cruise worked together.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

January 08, 2018, 07:13 AM
RogueJSK
He's probably thinking of The Devil's Advocate, which has Al Pacino and Keanu Reeves in a law firm.

Tom Cruise has been in a couple films where he plays a lawyer, including A Few Good Men and The Firm, but none were with Al Pacino.
January 08, 2018, 10:04 AM
cne32507
Al P. was pretty loud and one-dimensional in "Heat" also.

Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather I & II, he was great.
January 08, 2018, 11:49 AM
oddball
quote:

Yeah, like boxers, some actors just don't get better with age. Pacino is one of them. All of the subtleties, the little nuances in his craft in the 70s disappeared in later decades. Like DeNiro, he became a parody of himself.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965
January 08, 2018, 02:02 PM
Rey HRH
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Then I saw where Pacino was head of a law firm and Tom Cruise was a lawyer.

I think you're combing a couple of movies.
Not sure if Pacino and Cruise worked together.

Yeah, you're right. I looked it up and it was The Devil's Advocate with Keanu Reeves.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.
January 08, 2018, 02:15 PM
YellowJacket
"I'm too old, I'm too tired, too fucking blind."

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.
January 08, 2018, 03:02 PM
6guns
Regarding Pacino and DeNiro, I made the same comments here years ago. They seem to always play the same part. As far as I'm concerned, they're not a draw to a movie.

Two actors off the top of my head that I think are/were very versatile, are Tom Hanks and Robin Williams.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>
January 08, 2018, 03:20 PM
ScorpionBoy
snail dahtah
January 08, 2018, 09:07 PM
soflaac
quote:
Al P. was pretty loud and one-dimensional in "Heat" also.

Dog Day Afternoon, Godfather I & II, he was great.

Wife said the same thing about Pacino a couple months ago when we were watching Heat again.

I told her we need to watch 'Cruising' for a little more depth of character development from his earlier stuff. Smile

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave
January 08, 2018, 11:18 PM
Nickelsig229
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Regarding Pacino and DeNiro, I made the same comments here years ago. They seem to always play the same part. As far as I'm concerned, they're not a draw to a movie.

This has come up a couple of times over the years, and like you I feel the same about both actors and some others.

I like actors who actually learn new characters for different roles, instead of relying on the same mannerisms for every role they play.

First In Last Out
January 09, 2018, 01:10 AM
DMF
It's a very good movie despite the poor acting job done by Pacino.

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen, and I say let us give them all they want." - William Tecumseh Sherman
January 09, 2018, 10:14 AM
rusbro
Good movie.

Every single time I see/hear the title, though, I think of the joke about the blind man and the fish market. Wink
January 09, 2018, 12:49 PM
vinnybass
I agree in general about Pacino's later stuff. However, that pitiful character he played in Donnie Brasco (Lefty) was better than the generic stuff he's been recycling, IMO.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."