SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Anybody Read Alexander Kent Series?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anybody Read Alexander Kent Series? Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
So, I dropped by one of my favorite thrift stores today, and I was amazed to see what was likely the entire Ramage book series (by Dudley Pope) (a fictional series about the 'age of sail'/Nelsonian Navy era). I spent several minutes looking them over, as I was amazed the entire series was intact in a thrift store for $2.49 each. I seriously considered grabbing them, but I figured that I had about half the Richard Bolitho Series by Alexander Kent, and I didn't want to invest that much time in another separate series. I already have at least 50 non-fiction books and another 20 or so (mostly Clive Cussler) fiction books that I need to read, so I just couldn't justify it. So, with a bit of remorse, I kept browsing the Fiction section.

Then I saw this:

My brain couldn't believe it. THE ENTIRE BOLITHO SERIES IN ONE PLACE FOR $2.49 EACH EHRMEGERD!!!!!!!!! ! ! ! !!!!!!!!!!! ! !!!!!!!!!!!

Needless to say, I grabbed them all (almost; I left four behind, as I had already found four of the series several months ago in another thrift store, and I was amazed at the time to find four in one place). They are all in good used condition. They look like they've been read through once, by somebody who took good care to not damage them. I also assume that whoever left the Bolitho books left the Ramage series, as well. I mean, what are the odds of finding BOTH complete series in any one thrift store at the same time? They had yellow tags, meaning they had been on the shelf for less than a week (after a week, the older tag colors have 50% off sales for seniors and military on select days, and these weren't discounted for anybody yet).

I read my first Bolitho novel while IN England; specifically, when I visited HMS Victory. It really brought the books to life to actually walk the decks of such a ship. I have maybe read another 3-4 since then, but I don't think I ever saw more than 3-4 copies together in one place, even in libraries.

Has anybody read the Bolitho AND Ramage series? If so, I would be curious to see how they compare.

I really like the Bolitho books, and I only read one Aubrey/Maturin book: Master and Commander (the one that the Russel Crowe movie was party based on). I was so unimpressed with that book that I think I actually threw it away (and I have only maybe thrown away 2-3 books in my entire life; the other I specifically remember was a hack job conspiracy book about the loss of USS Scorpion).

I have them all on my bookshelf. I just like to gaze at them, knowing that they will provide me with months of great reading. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hound Dog:
I read, and really liked the Alexander Kent series. At the time, C.S. Forester's Horatio Hornblower series was more popular. And while I loved the Hornblower series, I thought the Bolitho books were even better. Just my opinion.
Don

Posts: 33 | Location: Colorado | Registered: February 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Devil's Advocate
Picture of Holger Danske
posted Hide Post
I read them as a teenager (though not the later ones), along with the author's Royal Navy WWII novels (as Douglas Reeman, his real name). I believe I read one or two of the Ramage books, but it was a long time ago.

I started the Aubrey/Maturin books when I was in my later twenties, and frankly, like them much better as novels -- Bolitho always seemed too good, almost perfect, whereas the Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin characters were far more complex and, to me, entertaining. And in the O'Brien books, at least the early ones, the engagements described were based on actual fights of British vessels and seamen.

What's really interesting to me is that the first novels of both Bolitho and Aubrey came out very close together in the early '70s.

________
Homo sum: humani nil a me alienum puto

Posts: 1080 | Location: Baton Rouge | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have 2 through 16 of the Bolitho series. They're pretty good reads and have some historical reality to them.

-.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.- -.-. --.-
It only stands to reason that where there's sacrifice, there's someone collecting the sacrificial offerings. Where there's service, there is someone being served. The man who speaks to you of sacrifice is speaking of slaves and masters, and intends to be the master.

Ayn Rand

"He gains votes ever and anew by taking money from everybody and giving it to a few, while explaining that every penny was extracted from the few to be giving to the many."

Ogden Nash from his poem - The Politician

Posts: 1687 | Registered: July 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by icom706:
Have 2 through 16 of the Bolitho series. They're pretty good reads and have some historical reality to them.

This is what attracted me to the series. Even though they are fiction, they bring that world to life in a way. It was MUCH more interesting walking the decks of HMS Victory and USS Constitution having a basic understanding of how life onboard those ships was. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post