SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Watching season one of Stranger Things...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Watching season one of Stranger Things... Login/Join 
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted
...and I can't stop saying "Most good." Big Grin

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Just finished the season. 'Twas pretty good. I didn't feel an intense rush of nostalgia for the '80s, though. Not much of what I remembered about the decade was referenced in the show.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
https://youtu.be/jE-0MHF9y9Y

Posts: 21053 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
Just finished the season. 'Twas pretty good. I didn't feel an intense rush of nostalgia for the '80s, though. Not much of what I remembered about the decade was referenced in the show.

Well, what do you expect? They’d lose some family viewing If they put in that much cocaine.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Season 3 smokes 1 and 2.

Season 3 goes full on IT dark.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Oh the show's okay. But I can't stop hearing the joke.

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:
quote:

Well, what do you expect? They’d lose some family viewing If they put in that much cocaine.

I was a kid during the '80s--you know, like the kids in the fucking show--so what I remember about it wasn't cocaine. And who gets nostalgic about their drug addiction?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
I love the show. Everything about them especially the first season was me when I was their age. Awkward, nerdy, hooked on D&D and sci-fi.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Watching some shows you can tell how old the people who made it probably are.

You get all the elements, a slice of Monster squad, Goonies, Poltergeist, Close encounters, served in X-Files fasion.

The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cas:
Watching some shows you can tell how old the people who made it probably are.

You get all the elements, a slice of Monster squad, Goonies, Poltergeist, Close encounters, served in X-Files fasion.

And a RUNNING Pinto. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Yup I'm in the nostalgia crew.

Way too many quarters at the arcade Cool

Posts: 904 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:

What film or show has captured what you remember about your youth? If you were a child in the late '80s, then Stranger Things season 1's early '80s setting might be missing the mark for you.

I think Season 1 doesn't so much as capture that time period as it reflects the type of films that came out during the early to mid '80s, like E.T., Explorers, The Goonies, et al.

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:

What film or show has captured what you remember about your youth? If you were a child in the late '80s, then Stranger Things season 1's early '80s setting might be missing the mark for you.

I think Season 1 doesn't so much as capture that time period as it reflects the type of films that came out during the early to mid '80s, like E.T., Explorers, The Goonies, et al.

I think the nostalgia from the 80s in Stranger Things is subtle and for the storyline I think it is perfect.

You want in your face 80s references watch The Goldbergs

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
Season 3 smokes 1 and 2.

Season 3 goes full on IT dark.

Thanks, Mars, you've convinced me to stick with it. Season one was good enough, 2 started to get pretty stupid.

I watched the first episode of season 3 and was more than discouraged. It looked to suffer from the curse of all shows with kids in them, children grow Eek Some of the crew had become gawky and cartoonish, annoyingly so. There was a little plot development, too much cuddly back and forth in between.

Indeed, bring on the dark.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I had the impression from critic and social media reviews, as well as posts from here, that the show was heavily nostalgic about the '80s. I was just posting that I didn't get the impression from watching the first season.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I freaking love it. This reminds me of childhood and happy times, they got me hook line and sinker. LCS, you nailed it, it's like a mix of E.T., Explorers, The Goonies all mashed together.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
LMAO Season 2, episode 6. Paul Reiser and sound effects taken directly from Aliens. Big Grin

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Hey, take that to the Season 2 thread. I’m only on episode 3.

Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Part of what I loved about this show was the fact that the 'nostalgia' wasn't inserted like advertising so much as it was simply there. Generally like it was in the day. They capture living back then pretty well.

Stranger things things is about dark enemies who are only being recognized and fought by kids with a story tempered with young innocence. It's a fairly standard formula, just done better. Then, you get adventure and action. Of course it going to get a little stupid. But it's fun. If you had to narrow it to just one show it is the most like, it is clearly 'Goonies'.

I agree with Black92LX, if you are looking for blatant nostalgic reference for the sake of it, watch 'The Goldbergs'. Allow your inner film critic to have the night off and just have fun will ya?

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post