SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rewatching Band of Brothers
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rewatching Band of Brothers Login/Join 
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
I’m too old and run down to run Currahee but even driving it you get a little more respect for their toughness. I was in the 101st in the mid to late 80’s and Airborne School at Benning and we ran a LOT. Running that mountain in boots in summer and that crazy long road march from Toccoa is really something.

Posts: 6011 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Just finished a second run through. Now we are starting The Pacific again. I had forgotten how good they were.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I work with a young engineer whose last name is Sobel. He does not understand when I occasionally bellow at him "What is the Goddamn holdup, Mr. Sobel?"

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8527 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The CGI bits are starting to come through a little more obviously, but the story, characters, and action are hard to beat.

They should give the Korean War that same treatment. It seems like retelling stories about that war is purposely avoided.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
Actually, I think a lot of people would need to see a TV show to understand why our victory was important at all. But they aren't on Sigforum.
And I think a lot of them wouldn't understand it even if they watched it. There are a huge number of totally clueless people alive today.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
We started a pay-it-forward thing with a box set of the BoB (maybe I won the Karma on it? Can't remember which generous member put it up). Anyhow, it's with one of our members, if anyone wants to dig up the thread and try to get that kicked back off.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6390 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Finished The Pacific - again.

I can't even imagine how one goes from being in combat for months/years and then suddenly being dumped back into civilized society mostly full of people who's lives are still in a lot of ways the same as they were before the war. Only those that served would understand. Even seeing it portrayed in stories and movies, it is hard to understand what those guys went through and then came back to try to live regular lives.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oz_Shadow:
Finished The Pacific - again...

... Even seeing it portrayed in stories and movies, it is hard to understand what those guys went through and then came back to try to live regular lives.

Minor thread drift: That describes "The Best Years of Our Lives" from 1946.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0...8/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^
Excellent film. I reccomend it highly.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've just started watching BoB for the first time. Thank God for those men!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38674 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Dad was a World War II vet. Battle of the Bulge etc. He would have loved Band of Brothers. Victory at Sea was a staple in our household growing up.

Posts: 17234 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
The book ain't bad either.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I could not find the original thread for the Band of Brothers so I wanted to put the update here...

Col. Edward Shames, the last surviving member of the World War II military unit portrayed in HBO’s “Band of Brothers,” died Friday at age 99.

Shames was part of the U.S. Army’s Easy Company, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division, a highly regarded unit of parachute infantrymen who saw combat in many of the conflict’s most famous battles.

He “passed away peacefully at home,” according to an obituary posted by Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home & Crematory in Norfolk, Virginia.

The real Shames, a Virginia native, was drafted into the military in 1942 at age 20.

His first combat mission involved parachuting into Normandy on D-Day as part of Operation Overload, and he later fought with Easy Company in Operation Market Garden in the Netherlands and in the Battle of the Bulge in Bastogne, France, according to his obituary. He also volunteered for Operation Pegasus, carried out in the Netherlands.

“Ed gained a reputation as a stubborn and very outspoken soldier who demanded the highest of standards from himself and his fellow soldiers,” the obituary read. He was promoted to second lieutenant in 1944.

Shames was the first member of his unit to set foot in the Dachau concentration camp in Germany just days after its liberation, according to the obituary.

When Germany surrendered, Easy Company made its way up to Adolf Hitler’s Eagle’s Nest, “where Ed managed to acquire a few bottles of cognac, a label indicating they were ‘for the Fuhrer’s use only,’” per the obituary.

After the war, Shames worked for the National Security Agency as an expert on Middle East affairs. He also served in the U.S. Army Reserve Division and later retired as a colonel.

He married Ida Aframe (April 9, 1922 – February 21, 2019) in 1946 and remained married for 73 years until his wife's death on February 21, 2019 at the age of 96.

Posts: 1836 | Location: In NC trying to get back to VA | Registered: March 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
Both great series

Don't know I buy that 'Greatest Generation' stuff though

Do you not understand they literally saved the world? Without their sacrifice nothing after that would have mattered because none of that would have ever even occurred.

We’d be living the plot of The Man In The High Castle at this moment.

In my opinion, they deserve that term, all of them.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
Brad Freeman is still alive. Blessings on Him.

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The quiet druid
Picture of orion5
posted Hide Post
The Shames article left out the best part about the congnac. He used it to toast his eldest sons bar mitzvah. Smile

Posts: 746 | Location: Roanoke-ish | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chbibc:
I work with a young engineer whose last name is Sobel. He does not understand when I occasionally bellow at him "What is the Goddamn holdup, Mr. Sobel?"

I hope that you use the appropriate southern twang when bellowing! Smile

Posts: 43 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: May 31, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by murphman:
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Then watch "The Man in the High Castle" to see an example of why our victory was so important.

I don't think anyone needs to watch a TV show to see why victory over Nazi Germany was so important.

Actually, I think a lot of people would need to see a TV show to understand why our victory was important at all. But they aren't on Sigforum.
I suspect anyone born after 2000 might need it.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I’m watching BoB for the I don’t know how many’th time again. This time it’s on Netflix along with The Pacific.
As often as I’ve watched it, there’s several things I missed in earlier viewings.
This year marks eighty years since D-day in June. Very few are left.

Posts: 9506 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
I’m watching BoB for the I don’t know how many’th time again. This time it’s on Netflix along with The Pacific.
As often as I’ve watched it, there’s several things I missed in earlier viewings.
This year marks eighty years since D-day in June. Very few are left.

I've been binging vintage [70s+ currently on 1988] F1, but may take a pause to rewatch BoB while it's still on Netflix

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post