SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Rewatching Band of Brothers
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rewatching Band of Brothers Login/Join 
posted
Forgot how dusty the air gets when it is on. Truly the greatest generation.

To my grandfather and everyone else who fought in either theater, thank you.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great series. I watched it again this spring before we visited Normandy. Hard to believe it originally aired 17 years ago, but it's held up very well.

Posts: 2466 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a great series. If you haven't seen The Pacific, check it out.

Posts: 2222 | Location: Lawrenceburg, In | Registered: May 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm due to watch it again soon. One of my favorites.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Both series are great.
There are interviews of some of the members at the end that are worth seeing too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I rewatch it at least once a year. When I have the time alone to do so.

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both great series

Don't know I buy that 'Greatest Generation' stuff though

ETA: not to diminish what they achieved- sacrificed - but I feel the term undermines the sacrifices of millions who served through other tough times (and in political climates less black / white than WW2) like Korea / Vietnam / Cold War / GWOT.

-------------------------------------

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sig209,

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dcowboyscr
posted Hide Post
Great series. I watch Band of Brothers at least once a year.

"Clear Eyes. Full Hearts. Can't Lose."

Posts: 3088 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana, USA | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder...need to put it on my watch list again. GREAT series!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11054 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
You can watch short segments on YouTube of both series too.

Posts: 9456 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites. I ran Currahee mountain last fall. It was rough but a great trip.

3 miles up 3 miles down

At the top

Camp Taccoa

These are the actual stables the men slept in while in England. They dismantled them and shipped them to the US piece by piece

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Dusty. Just watched episode 6, Bastogne, last night. One nice thing about being an HBO subscriber is that I can go back and watch a series like this, anytime I want.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Dusty, and others that have visited; is there a lot to see other than the outdoor hiking part? Specifically, how big and interesting is the museum?
I'm about an hour away but have the present Ranger mountaineering training camp (Camp Merrill) and lots of outdoor stuff nearby. Have been thinking of taking the drive up to see it but not sure how much the wife would like it since it means less to her.

Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Then watch "The Man in the High Castle" to see an example of why our victory was so important.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ryanp225:
Then watch "The Man in the High Castle" to see an example of why our victory was so important.

I don't think anyone needs to watch a TV show to see why victory over Nazi Germany was so important.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10474 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

I don't think anyone needs to watch a TV show to see why victory over Nazi Germany was so important.

I didn't think anyone needed to watch a tv show see why the victory was important. I said it's a good example if you were so inclined.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
Dusty, and others that have visited; is there a lot to see other than the outdoor hiking part? Specifically, how big and interesting is the museum?
I'm about an hour away but have the present Ranger mountaineering training camp (Camp Merrill) and lots of outdoor stuff nearby. Have been thinking of taking the drive up to see it but not sure how much the wife would like it since it means less to her.

The museum isn’t huge, there are probably 5-6 rooms all full of things to see. There’s lots of letters and personal effects so you can sit and read for hours. I was there during a special weekend commemorating the Taccoa men. I was surprised because there were more than a few French people there who I guess came to pay respects. Some of the stories I heard were that their grandparents were saved by the Americans.

The downtown area is very quaint and your wife might like that. You don’t have to hike up to the top you can actually drive up there and park. If you decide to run it just know that the first 2-2.25 miles are a pretty gentle slope than it gets pretty steep for the last bit.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
quote:

Actually, I think a lot of people would need to see a TV show to understand why our victory was important at all. But they aren't on Sigforum.

Posts: 630 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: September 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dusty78:

The museum isn’t huge, there are probably 5-6 rooms all full of things to see. There’s lots of letters and personal effects so you can sit and read for hours. I was there during a special weekend commemorating the Taccoa men. I was surprised because there were more than a few French people there who I guess came to pay respects. Some of the stories I heard were that their grandparents were saved by the Americans.

The downtown area is very quaint and your wife might like that. You don’t have to hike up to the top you can actually drive up there and park. If you decide to run it just know that the first 2-2.25 miles are a pretty gentle slope than it gets pretty steep for the last bit.

Future visitors: The museum is downtown in what I think is an old railroad station. The Camp Toccoa site and memorial is a few miles outside of town, an easy drive on paved roads. I visited both sites a few years ago, did not do the hiking/running trail.

Posts: 15899 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's included in Amazon Prime.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post