SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Any fans of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any fans of Patrick McGoohan's The Prisoner? Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Although I have the complete DVD set I haven't watched any of the episodes in quite some time. While stumbling through PlutoTV's extensive line up I came upon a channel showing episodes of this late '60s series. I thoroughly enjoyed the two I watched this afternoon. Big Grin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0061287/

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
I watched it intently in high school, when PBS broadcast one episode per week (circa 1979).

Still one of my favorite series ever. I have the DVD set, but have not re-watched it in a while...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
Fan of the series and the "kar" he drove.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
I watched it intently in high school, when PBS broadcast one episode per week (circa 1979).

Still one of my favorite series ever. I have the DVD set, but have not re-watched it in a while...

Exactly the same. And the last time I watched the entire series was perhaps 5-7 years ago.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I watched some early episodes of "Secret Agent Man" (originally called "Danger Man") starring McGoohan, which was the predecessor to The Prisoner. These were followed by early episodes of The Prisoner, too. I think this may have been PlutoTV. I watched all evening, remembering the black-and-white ahows before color became mainstream (and John Drake drove an original Mini Cooper, which was my first car!). Smile

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
Fan of the series and the "kar" he drove.

Lotus Super 7. I grew up in the Bay Area (Orinda). A high school buddy was the grandson of Dr Lawrence (Lawrence Hall of Science at Cal Berkeley, the element Lawrencium, etc.).

His dad had a Super 7, and would let my friend drive it. Holy shit that was an amazing experience. Stupid fast and your butt was ~4” off the pavement.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
A guy I used to work with gave me the full set of DVDs. Haven't watches it yet. Is it good? I mean, does it hold up?

Posts: 11351 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Portmeirion, Wales was “The Village”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portmeirion

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2692 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I watched it when I was a kid and while much of it I didn't understand at the time- I loved the innovative storyline. The show was ahead of it's time. In those days you also had The Avengers, Doctor Who, UFO, Space 1999, The Omega Factor, The Saint and other great Brit shows.
The Prisoner holds up pretty well because it was so ambitious-
All I can say is if you watch the original show and visit London now you wouldn't know it was the same country...

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
bald1– Which Pluto channel and what time? It’s hard to go thru them all. I like the Military and Conspiracy channels.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
A guy I used to work with gave me the full set of DVDs. Haven't watches it yet. Is it good? I mean, does it hold up?

Hell yes! Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
bald1– Which Pluto channel and what time? It’s hard to go thru them all. I like the Military and Conspiracy channels.

It was #188 Shout Factory this afternoon. The two episodes of The Prisoner were followed by Space 1999. Smile

Check here too to watch episodes free on your computer:
http://www.shoutfactorytv.com/...ubmit&q=the+prisoner

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I never could figure out the big balloon.....

that's about all I can remember from "The Prisoner" other than the time he beat the computer by asking it a question it could not answer;

"Why?"

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never could figure out the big balloon.....

"Rover" was supposed to be an amphibious robot, but it didn't work right in the water (although rumors that it actually sank were untrue). A production manager saw a weather balloon and came up with the idea for the amorphous blob security device.

The smoke monster of Lost was inspired by Rover.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
watched a few episodes years ago,

have not seen the entire series,

sounds like I need to go back and watch it all

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
Big fan of "The Prisoner" Smile

"Be seeing you...."

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
There is also a 2009 mini-series that is a remake of the original, but it's not supposed to be very good. (I haven't seen it.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
There is also a 2009 mini-series that is a remake of the original, but it's not supposed to be very good. (I haven't seen it.)

Nor have I and frankly didn't even know / recall (I am an old sod after all) that it existed. Big Grin Big Grin

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1043714/
https://www.wired.com/2009/11/...w-the-prisoner-2009/

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I was a big fan of Patrick McGoohan, going back to his role in "Secret Agent." He was a resident of the city where I worked and (sad to say) he passed away there in 2009.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10187 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
One of the best series BBC produced back in the day and one that I still enjoy thoroughly.

I even have a wire frame penny-farthing bicycle sitting on my bookshelf at home.

Occasionally, I will say "Be seeing you" on departing someone's company.

The mini-series "remake" is garbage, BTW.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16263 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post