SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    "At Close Range" starring Christopher Walken and Sean Penn
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"At Close Range" starring Christopher Walken and Sean Penn Login/Join 
posted
Remember this movie from 1986? Also starring Mary Stuart Masterson, Crispin Glover, David Strathairn and Kiefer Sutherland (though pretty briefly). It's based on a true story about a ring of farm implement thieves in the 1970's in Pennsylvania and the surrounding states. I liked it when it first came out and liked it very much again after just re-watching it. If you're a Christopher Walken fan it's a must see, as he's great in every scene, though I couldn't tell if his accent was from Brooklyn or was Cajun. Not to mention, a Colt 1911 is figured prominently in the movie. Try to find this movie, as it's worth watching.

-------------------------------
Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good movie. The only Madonna song on my play list is the theme song: Live to Tell.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
Dango the scene with Chris Penn and Walken telling him about coyotes, that's intense.

This was in a pack with Colors, a movie I know and love, at Walmart, never heard of At Close Range before, so I picked it up.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 16995 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
solid movie

i need to re-watch it

i thought it was a pretty good look into the 'under the radar' theft networks that exist in rural America

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Great film. They don’t make them like that anymore.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's a hard movie to watch the second time around because you know what's going to happen. I do love the opening scene- very simple but emotionally quite effective; it fits my film-as-a-meditation mold. Madonna's music will never be used to greater effect in any film other than this one. IIRC, Sean Penn and Madonna were married at the time.

Spot-on casting of Christopher Walken and Sean Penn. While I think that Penn's politics are those of a confused child, he really is a great actor. Walken is the Devil himself in this film.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^Yes, I always liked the song "Live to Tell" by Madonna and the music is used very effectively as the score throughout the film. And I agree that although Penn's political views are lunatic, he's an excellent actor and did a great job in this movie.

I liked how they used the lighting on Walken when he was at his diabolical best. And he showed his great comedic ability when he did his "laundry."

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
- David Horowitz

Posts: 5149 | Location: WI | Registered: July 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
I knew Troopers Who worked the case. They described Johnston Sr as a truly Evil piece. He deserved the death penalty.

Posts: 816 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
While I think that Penn's politics are those of a confused child, he really is a great actor.

For me personally I never GOT Sean Penn. In the vast majority of his work I don’t see the character I see SEAN PENN. This has nothing to do with his politics or anything of the sort as an actors politics are generally neither here nor there with me as far as their craft goes, I just never personally saw him as a great actor.

I mean there is no accounting for taste and we all know what opinions are like so I am very likely wrong since most folks see him as an excellent actor.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Do you see him in The Falcon and the Snowman, Casualties of War, Carlito's Way, Dead Man Walking, Milk, The Professor and the Madman?

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was excellent in Mystic River, too.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Penn and his politics can eat a dick.

But as an Actor, he is stunning in too many roles to list. I feel this way about various actors and actresses. Streep comes to mind. She may be the greatest actor I have ever seen, but I want nothing to do with her off screen whatsoever and I think this is how you should look at any actor, athlete, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Never saw this film but am watching it now on the Roku TV channel. 'Bout half way through. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I personally think Mystic River and Dead Man Walking were excellent performances

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Do you see him in The Falcon and the Snowman, Casualties of War, Carlito's Way, Dead Man Walking, Milk, The Professor and the Madman?

I’ve never seen Milk or the Professor and the Madman but yeah.....I kinda always see Sean Penn

Honestly I think Spicolli is the only time I don’t see Sean Penn.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post