SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Stephen Coonts writes a great series of books
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stephen Coonts writes a great series of books Login/Join 
Picture of mcrimm
posted
I am reading the series about Jake Grafton and Tommy Carmellini. The are just plain great works. They just get better and better with each book. I'm knocking down one a week.

Highly recommend.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4221 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I read Flight of the Intruder about the time that I read Dale Browns Flight of the Old Dog. I followed both series but I think I faded out on Coonts about the time Cuba came out. I do not remember if I read it or not.

I do remember that Flight of the Intruder was an amazing book, It sucked me in and I could not put it down.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3588 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
I read a good number of the Jake Grafton books from the start, since I wanted to get into Naval Aviation. We even had some of the last A-6 Pilots & BNs in flight school as instructors when I went through in the 90s and in the F-14 community the Intruder still had a huge impact as the Tomcat took up a lot of the Strike / CAS roles the A-6 did. I learned to fly VERY low in the F-14 from some A6 pilots.

I think I stopped with "The Red Horseman", but may have to take up Coonts novels again.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always liked both Coonts and Brown. I got hooked on the Grafton novels after reading Flight of the Intruder. I happened to be reading that one years ago on a "red eye" flight and was sitting next to a guy who I had noticed was carrying a briefcase with Naval Aviator wings embossed. He saw what I was reading and we struck up a conversation. Turns out he had flown combat tours in Vietnam and he made a comment with a raised eye, that there much more truth than fiction in that novel.

Posts: 887 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: December 14, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He gave a lecture at school and I still have a signed copy of Flight of the Intruder. Good stuff.

Posts: 7436 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
He gave a lecture at school and I still have a signed copy of Flight of the Intruder. Good stuff.

Oh, that's nice!

Posts: 15884 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed the first few Jake Grafton novels but like some of you, I lost track around "The Red Horseman" or maybe "Cuba." I haven't read any of them since then but may try to pick them back up again sometime soon.

I enjoyed the first couple of Dale Brown books, too, but I missed a couple and by "Fatal Terrain," I baled out on them, too.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2102 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Funny, considering how distant I am, both physically and culturally, i've followed the same path.
Read most of Coont's stuff. Larry Bond, Clancy and some Brown.
Also Ian Slater's ground based mostly WWIII series. All back in the day.
At some point and/or when they started adding co-writers or adding spin offs, i lost interest.

Coont's was one of my favorites.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12105 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great writer. First military fiction I ever read back in 6th grade was Final Flight and Flight of the Old Dog by Dale Brown.

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
I read a good number of the Jake Grafton books from the start, since I wanted to get into Naval Aviation. We even had some of the last A-6 Pilots & BNs in flight school as instructors when I went through in the 90s and in the F-14 community the Intruder still had a huge impact as the Tomcat took up a lot of the Strike / CAS roles the A-6 did. I learned to fly VERY low in the F-14 from some A6 pilots.

I think I stopped with "The Red Horseman", but may have to take up Coonts novels again.

I spent my time in the Intruder community. The last A6E left service in the Marines 28 April 1993. I still have the Cherry Point newspaper that had the last plane taxi-ing off.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post