Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eagles Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I never really liked their music. Not sure why since they seemed to be popular in my day.

Off the cuff, watched their reunion concert on Prime. Actually, some decent lyrics, decent music. Still not a favorite but I can appreciate many of their songs now. I'm getting old?

On the other hand, I watched a Santana concert as well. I liked several Santana songs. But now I can't stand them. I don't know what he was talking about but the gist of his incoherency when he decided to talk seemed very woke. Now I feel disdain when I hear a Santana song.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fill your hands
you son of a bitch
posted Hide Post
Take it to the limit is about the only Eagles song I care to listen to. I used to enjoy the Felder/Walsh solo at the end of Hotel California until it got played to death.

Posts: 456 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
While I'd heard a few of their songs on the radio while growing up, it wasn't until their Hell Freezes Over concert on MTV (or was it VH1?), that I truly became interested in the Eagles. But I have noticed over the years that there are people who actively dislike them. I just chalk those people up to being Steely Dan fans. Wink

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never really liked their music. Not sure why since they seemed to be popular in my day.

Everyone has there own tastes so to each their own.
However, their music has sold better than just about everyone else in history so someone must like them. Eek
Sometimes just being popular is a turn off to some and I understand that to a degree.
Not at the top of my taste either but they made some good music over the years and uber-talented.
YMMV

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:

Off the cuff, watched their reunion concert on Prime. Actually, some decent lyrics, decent music. Still not a favorite but I can appreciate many of their songs now. I'm getting old?
I'm with ya on Santana.
Went to a Santana concert about 8 years ago and he played one old song and the rest sounded like it was jungle music or something. After about the fifth song, half the crowd had left.
I was one of the dumb ones, hanging on in hopes that he would play his hits. Nope, I left before it ended and the crowd was 90% gone by then.
He is on some social mission.

On the other hand, I watched a Santana concert as well. I liked several Santana songs. But now I can't stand them. I don't know what he was talking about but the gist of his incoherency when he decided to talk seemed very woke. Now I feel disdain when I hear a Santana song.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
They came along at the perfect time for me. I grew up in my parents tavern listening to old country western and 50's and 60's rock on the juke box. The Eagles came out with their country rock in my mid to late teens. Their music just attracted me. Glenn Frey in the History of the Eagles said "People didn't just listen to the Eagles people did things to the Eagles"
Describes it perfectly for me. I have a lot of memories tied directly to many of their songs.

Still listen to them quite often. When you think of the fact they still get plenty of radio airtime after nearly 50 years they are in pretty rare company.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8504 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
top three best selling albums of all times

1. Eagles — "Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975)" Elektra.
2. Michael Jackson — "Thriller" Epic. ...
3. Eagles — "Hotel California" ...

still have and listen to numbers 1 & 3
very talented musicians

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 1996 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Can't deny their popularity, but I was never a big fan.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I'm a fan and saw them live in Spokane in the fall of 2015, shortly before Glenn Frey died. Great show.

The problem with the Eagles or any other band from their era, is that we have heard their music for 50 years. We are bound to get tired of some of the tunes.

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
The problem with the Eagles or any other band from their era, is that we have heard their music for 50 years. We are bound to get tired of some of the tunes.

True. Hotel California is undoubtedly a well-made song, but having to hear it incessantly for decades now makes me want to shove screwdrivers into my ears when it comes on.

It didn't help that I had a college roommate for a year who loved the song, and listened to it daily. Often multiple times daily. And then turned around and played it (poorly) on his own guitar. Big Grin

Posts: 32423 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I used to like them more back when Desporado album was popular. I saw them in 74 or 75 when Dan Fogelberg opened for them. Then I saw them about 15 yrs ago when someone gave me 2-$150 tickets. Took my son, it was a highly polished act. Very good, but I’m wore out on them.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I liked the Eagles, except they were played to death, and now don't particularly care for them. The only album of theirs that I still listen to is their live album set, which is excellent.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12743 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Back when Hotel California came out, I wasn't into it at all. My tastes were towards more aggressive stuff, eventually morphing into punk and New Wave. But I appreciated their songs and musicianship as I got older, especially their earlier work. I haven't seen any of their reunion concert stuff.

quote:

I was never a Carlos Santana fan, don't own any recordings by him. He is a very good guitarist from a technical point of view, but I just simply didn't like the music he created, the lines he played, etc. He's from that hippie San Francisco music scene, and I could never relate to it, didn't like any of it really.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16612 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
While I'd heard a few of their songs on the radio while growing up, it wasn't until their Hell Freezes Over concert on MTV (or was it VH1?), that I truly became interested in the Eagles. But I have noticed over the years that there are people who actively dislike them. I just chalk those people up to being Steely Dan fans. Wink

I'll second this about the Hell Freezes Over. After finally getting my home theater setup the way I wanted, one of the first videos I played was the Hell Freezes Over DVD. When Hotel California played, the sounds through my system gave me the goosebumps, I can still recall after the intro, the "thumping" in the beginning of the track prior to the acoustic guitar track coming in, just awesome, you could feel it in your gut.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Eagles are one of those bands that you really had to see live.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
I'm gonna have to go with Mr. Lebowski on this one.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:

Off the cuff, watched their reunion concert on Prime. Actually, some decent lyrics, decent music. Still not a favorite but I can appreciate many of their songs now. I'm getting old? Thought I was the only person in the country who thought that way about the Eagles. Yeah they're ok but eh.

Posts: 1396 | Registered: August 25, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One quick note on the Eagles.

I worked afternoons for years where I worked. One day I went to work and a fellow tradesman came up and asked if I liked Pop/Rock music. I said some.
He then asked if I knew about many bands. I said some.
He finally said, well you know I am a ham radio guy? I said yeah, one of my close buddies talks to you a lot. He said, yeah, so last night after work, I was talking to a guy. I asked what he did for a living and he told me he played guitar.
He said he had been in several bands and was in a band now. (This happened years ago now).
So, the guy at work said; I asked him what band he was in now and he said one of the greatest rock bands ever, the eagles. He said have you ever heard of the eagles. I said why yes. He said the guys name is Joe Walsh. He said he thought everyone had heard of the eagles, but not Joe Walsh maybe.
So, I told him yes they are a great band and he is a great guitar master.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
I worked in a Cardiac Rehab program. I had a husband /wife pair who went to Vegas frequently tell me a story. Seems they went to a breakfast buffet at the hotel and met a younger couple. They were chitchatting and they asked the guy what do you do. He said he was in a band called the Eagles. They had never heard of them. He said he was the drummer. Being so straight laced they started calling my wife’s friend Mother Superior. He said it was a pleasant experience. I was like Wow. I said BTW,he’s only worth 200Mil. That was 15-20 yrs ago.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post