SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Enemy Below w/ Robert Mitchum & Kurt Jurgens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Enemy Below w/ Robert Mitchum & Kurt Jurgens Login/Join 
posted
On FXM right now.
Great movie, great acting performances, dialogue!
One of the advantages of being retired!

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite movies.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great film. Understood film better as an adult. As a kid did not understand the relationships at all. Just watched for the action.

Posts: 17222 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Favorite scene: When the U-Boat crew all sing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expert308:
One of my favorite movies.

Mine too, certainly of WWII subject area movies

Posts: 13235 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happiness is
Vectored Thrust
Picture of mojojojo
posted Hide Post
Good movie. There is a Star Trek (the original series) episode that reminds me a lot of this movie - Balance of Terror.

Two ship commanders, each playing a cat & mouse game, one trying to get back home, the other determined to see that they don't. Commanders very much alike in tactics, demeanor, etc. In the end they connect and recognize humanity (can you use that term with Romulans?) in each other beyond their politics.

Icarus flew too close to the sun, but at least he flew.

Posts: 6723 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: April 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:
Good movie. There is a Star Trek (the original series) episode that reminds me a lot of this movie - Balance of Terror.

Two ship commanders, each playing a cat & mouse game, one trying to get back home, the other determined to see that they don't. Commanders very much alike in tactics, demeanor, etc. In the end they connect and recognize humanity (can you use that term with Romulans?) in each other beyond their politics.

Balance of Terror is one of the half-dozen or so best TOS episodes. Hell, it's one of the best half-dozen or so episodes of all ST series'.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mojojojo:

I actually ran across a video on YouTube today that talked about the tactics used in that Star Trek episode. Before he started, though, he said that you should watch "The Enemy Below" as they used similar tactics in the movie. He felt that the ST episode drew heavily from the movie in all aspects. Now I need to see watch this movie.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
I always thought the best homage in Balance of Terror to The Enemy Below was when the two ships were floating motionless in space. Everyone on the Enterprise is tiptoing around as though sound could jump the distance to the Romulan ship. (However, what broke the stalemate is when Spock accidentally pushes a button, causing an electronic signal to reveal their position.)

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16314 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I read that Balance of Terror was an intentional homage to Enemy Below. In Space!

That episode is in my top 10 favorite Trek episodes. Mark Leonard played the Romulan commander, and his acting was superb. He went on to play Sarek (Spock's father). He also played the Klingon commander in ST: The Motion Picture. I think he is the only actor to play a Romulan, a Vulcan, and a Klingon.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post