SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Favorite College Bowl Games from the past
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Favorite College Bowl Games from the past Login/Join 
posted
A co-worker and I were discussing old bowl games and players. One that upsets me to this day, the 1979 Cotton Bowl. Houston Cougars vs Notre Dame. Bill Yoeman and his veer offense were tough to stop. It was a nasty day in Dallas, and the U of H defense was throttling the Irish for most of the game. Then the tide turned, and a skinny QB named Joe Montana started picking them apart. They also had a pretty nasty LB named Bob Golic. It still smarts to this day, it was a quite a battle. The link should you care to watch.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MRBTX,

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
1999 Fiesta Bowl. May be the best bowl game of my life.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
This one, although the Orange Bowl the year before was pretty good too Smile

Nebraska 62, Florida 24

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
2006 Rose Bowl. Holy Cow what a contest.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3575 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Since I don't generally watch football on TV, the greatest college bowl game was the one I attended, and it was a classic for its time. The 1964 Cotton Bowl Classic pitted #1 Texas against #2 Navy. It was supposed to be a battle of Navy's passing (Roger Staubach) and Texas' rushing and defense. It turned out to be a one-sided game, with Texas holding Navy to negative 14 yards rushing. Texas won 28-6. Two stellar defensemen for Texas (Tommy Nobis and Scott Appleton) draped themselves all over Staubach, but he managed to get in a good passing game nonetheless. Texas matched Staubach's passing stats, and the rushing game (or lack of it on Navy's part) told the story. Navy's only score was a run by Staubach.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If I recall correctly JAllen was in attendance. In the Longhorn band of course.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
1995 Rose Bowl. Penn State vs Oregon Ducks

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
A co-worker and I were discussing old bowl games and players. One that upsets me to this day, the 1979 Cotton Bowl

^^^^
I was on the other side of this one. I think one remembers the heartbreak losses more than the victories. Go watch Rudy you will feel better. ND did not play in bowl games from the 1920s to the early 70s. The administration feared it would interfere with academics. Then they saw the money and TV rights. I would never have guessed there would be so many bowl games. I think ND is going to the Camping World bowl in Orlando this year. Never would have happened back in the day.

Posts: 17175 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
2007 Fiesta Bowl. Boise State vs. Oklahoma. Overall it was a good game and then the last two minutes and OT were crazy.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
parati et volentes
Picture of houndawg
posted Hide Post
1981 Sugar Bowl. UGA vs Notre Dame. Herschel Walker won that game for the Bulldogs as a Freshman.

Posts: 8272 | Location: Illinois, Occupied America | Registered: February 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kuisis
posted Hide Post
1987 Fiesta Bowl, Penn State 14, Miami 10.

Posts: 1129 | Location: Washington PA | Registered: November 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
If I recall correctly JAllen was in attendance. In the Longhorn band of course.

Yes, he was. He and I sidetracked an earlier thread briefly (a few years ago) about both of us being at that game.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
The 1996 Sugar Bowl.The FLORIDA - florida state rematch. The Big Number One in the Big Easy, Really Big, Really Easy! FLORIDA 52 - 20.
(The year after we had it handed to us by Nebraska)

Posts: 1198 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Blinded by
the Sun
Picture of GA Gator
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
My favorite also

------------------------------
Smart is not something you are but something you get.

Chi Chi, get the yayo

Posts: 4784 | Location: Home | Registered: April 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
2003 Fiesta Bowl. The Ohio State University vs. Miami.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3955 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
A little biased but the two that immediately come to mind are the 91' Citrus Bowl (GT National Champs over Nebraska) and the 2014 Orange Bowl (little ol' option-running Georgia Tech taking it to the mighty SEC West, former #1, Dak Prescott-led Mississippi State Bulldogs.

From a non-biased perspective, that 06 Rose Bowl is as good as it gets.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10472 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for pure joy and “ra, ra” the 2007 BCS with Florida vs. ohio state.
At one point the tv flashes a pic of an ohio state defensive guy with his hands on his hips, and exhaling a long “whooooooooo, (we’re gettin’ our a** kicked.)” And yeah, they were 41 - 14.

But that 2006 with Texas and Vince Young was a real goodun’!

Posts: 817 | Location: FL | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YellowJacket:
A little biased but the two that immediately come to mind are the 91' Citrus Bowl (GT National Champs over Nebraska) and the 2014 Orange Bowl (little ol' option-running Georgia Tech taking it to the mighty SEC West, former #1, Dak Prescott-led Mississippi State Bulldogs.

From a non-biased perspective, that 06 Rose Bowl is as good as it gets.

Same for me. I was in Orlando, sitting in the section next to the band. Then later watching Notre Dame flub it against 5 Down Colorado.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2362 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Salty Dawg
posted Hide Post
I've thought back about all the old bowl games I can remember, but the very recent 2018 Rose Bowl (Georgia over Oklahoma 54-48 in 2OT) is my #1.

Posts: 693 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
2003 Insight Bowl.
2008 Emerald Bowl.
1938 Rose Bowl.

Posts: 3655 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post