SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Good Omens now on Amazon Prime
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good Omens now on Amazon Prime Login/Join 
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted
Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's book "Good Omens" has been made into a 6-part Amazon series that was released today. It stars David Tennant, Michael Sheen, John Hamm, and Nick Offerman. I've been looking forward to this and hope it's worth watching. It has a great cast.

Link to story here.

WEYBRIDGE, England — Jon Hamm, dressed in fine cashmere head to toe, is looking at his feet and sees his own face reflected.

“I guess everything in heaven is probably this shiny,” he muses.

He’s waiting for a take, staring at himself in the distractingly reflective silver floor of a high-tech, disused office block formerly occupied by the electronics giant Samsung. Today it’s heaven, a key location in Amazon’s big-budget adaptation of Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman's apocalyptic comedy-drama "Good Omens" (out Friday).

Hamm plays the angel Gabriel, but in Pratchett and Gaiman’s world he’s a sort of overbearing line manager: “He’s the boss that everyone has, but everyone hates – he’s constantly smiling and telling you ‘great job!’ while also subconsciously saying ‘you’re terrible,'” says the actor, who's best known for "Mad Men."

On set, Hamm is micromanaging Michael Sheen, who plays one of the series’ two lead roles, a subordinate cherub named Aziraphale. You get some idea of the series' tone from a brief conversation in which Gabriel upbraids Aziraphale for having "lost" the Antichrist. It's vintage Pratchett, who wedges the biggest questions next to the most mundane realities, and it will appeal to his many fans. Just before director Douglas Mackinnon ("Sherlock") yells "action," a man dressed in white scoots by on a hoverboard.

“Is that in the script?” Hamm asks. Nervous laughter. No one seems quite sure.

This exquisitely arch series is, in some way, one of Amazon's most original. "Omens" tells the story of Aziraphale and Crowley (David Tennant), an angel and a demon, who've been on Earth since the Garden of Eden, working for their opposing teams in heaven and hell.

One is charged with lighting fires, the other with putting them out. Yet over the centuries. they've become friends. We meet them as the antichrist is being delivered to Earth – one of Crowley’s missions is to ferry the demonic babe to the maternity ward. But they both realize this means the end of humanity as we know it and, as Tennant puts it, “Crowley and Aziraphale have quite a nice time on Earth. They quite enjoy the dinners and the wine and the lifestyle.”

"Good Omens" has been a momentous undertaking: a story that takes in all of Christian history in six hours of heavy theology and wry humor has a lot to accomplish. The third episode features a sequence that follows Aziraphale and Crowley from their first meeting at the Garden of Eden to reunions at Noah’s Ark, the Crucifixion, ancient Rome, Shakespeare’s Globe Theater, the French Revolution, two World Wars and in the present day. It’s all done in less than 20 minutes.

Unsurprisingly. that kind of time travel has taken the better part of two years to film – plus another 30 if you include several cinematic misfires. Immediately after it was published in 1990, "Good Omens" was planned as a movie from Terry Gilliam ("Monty Python") that led nowhere in the way that only Terry Gilliam’s movies can. That was before Pratchett, fading from Alzheimer’s disease, told co-author Gaiman that he wanted a TV adaptation of the novel to be made. It became practically a last request.

“He wrote me a letter – he’d never written me a letter before,” says Gaiman, the head writer and executive producer. “He said, ‘You’re the only other person out there with the same love and understanding and passion for this that I have. I know how busy you are, but I want to see this before the darkness takes me. Will you do this, please?’ In 35 years, he’d never asked me anything before. So I said yes. And then he died,” in 2015.

That leaves "Omens," a series of manifest quirk that will irk some and delight others, as both a tribute to Pratchett and a gift for his many fans.

“I'm trying to make the show that Terry would have loved to have seen, had he lived,” Gaiman says. “It’s just love and respect for the material – on a weird level it’s suddenly become a matter of trust.”

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very good series, so now I'm going to read the book.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I heard that the books are written in the same vain as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and, the show has a bold streak of Monty Python?

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I heard that the books are written in the same vain as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Very similar style of British humor.

Terry Pratchett is to fantasy what Douglas Adams is to sci-fi.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cyberphobia
posted Hide Post
Room 3...this is going to be "Jolly Good Fun"

"Advertising is the art of convincing people to spend money they don't have for something they don't need"

Will Rogers

SIG 229R LEGION SAO
SIG 226R Elite SAO
COONAN COMPACT .357 MAG

Posts: 2255 | Location: Ft Myers Florida | Registered: November 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
I heard that the books are written in the same vain as Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and, the show has a bold streak of Monty Python?

Essentially.

Terry Pratchett's Discworld series is something you definitely want to read if you enjoyed THHGTTG.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just finished this.....very good.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Mrs is a huge David Tennant fan and was on pins and needles waiting for this to come out. It was very well done.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
It was great! It helped that Neil Gaiman wrote the screenplay, since he was one of the authors. His books, American Gods and Neverwhere to name my two favorites are fantastic.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
It was great! It helped that Neil Gaiman wrote the screenplay, since he was one of the authors. His books, American Gods and Neverwhere to name my two favorites are fantastic.

I noticed the USAF guard reading American Gods. Big Grin

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stu1000rr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:

Did you also notice the USAF gate guard wearing NCO stripes and Lt butter bars?

It was pretty funny....I looked closer after one of the characters referred to the guard as "officer". Sure enough he had both sets of rank.

Posts: 265 | Location: Southwest Georgia | Registered: February 10, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
Just finished season two, all I can say is it’s utter trash.

And you can guess what was shoved down your throat.

I won’t spoil it, if you want to watch it, I was beyond disappointed with it.

Archerman

Posts: 2476 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
What you're referring to wasn't a deal breaker for me, and by the time it got there I figured as much.

I still enjoyed S2, especially getting more of the back story from the main characters.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Still enjoyable, but the ending = disappointing. Perhaps it was true to the book(s)?

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Both seasons seemed great to me. Lots of easter eggs, good writing, good cast.

Posts: 2358 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post