New
Find
Notify
Tools

C3PO Poll Login/Join 
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted
Ok, so I REALLY HATE C3PO. Hate as in "I wish they would kill him off in Episode 8, though I know they never will, so I'm dying a little every time they show him on screen in every new Star Wars movie" hate. I don't wish any ill towards Anthony Daniels (the guy in the suit and the character's voice), but I'm sick of seeing the character. I honestly prefer Jar Jar Binks to him (he's rightfully hated, but at least he's only really prominent in 2 movies; not all of them).

The prequels made him even worse, showing him built by that annoying little 10-yr old brat (something that is WAY beyond the ability of my suspension of disbelief to accept), and having him wisecracking his way across the death arena in Ep 2. . .

He's in ALL 8 Star Wars movies so far, and I had already found him annoying in the original 3 movies. And I just KNOW they will shoe horn him into Ep 8 and Ep 9 somehow.

If it were up to me, they would kill him off in Ep 8 (maybe they could get Capt Phasma to do the honors, since she really hasn't contributed to the story in any meaningful way so far).

So, I was wondering if I am 'weird' in this view, or if others share my intense hatred of the character. Thus, the very scientific poll.

Of course, I love R2, BB8, Chewie, and the Millenium Falcon; these are really the only characters that I think they should never kill off for good (as much as I liked Han Solo, his death really contributed to the overall plot - Harrison Ford only agreed to come back for Ep 7 if they would kill off Han).

Question:
On the following scale, what are your feelings towards the character of C3PO?

Choices:
1: I LOVE him
2: He's a pretty good character
3: Meh
4: He's annoying
5: I LOATHE him and wish Chewie never would have rescued him from the smelter's plant on Cloud City

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21839 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
C3PO prefers Snap-On tools for his lube jobs. Big Grin

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
C3-PO is one of the ways kids can connect to the Star Wars universe. It doesn't make sense to kill him off.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Yeah, he (it?) can be kind of annoying, but without him/it to bounce R2's electronic wisecracks off of, I think something would be lost.

Posts: 7262 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
R2 can actually speak... it's just that he's so foulmouthed they have to beep everything out

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
he is a main character. Sorry, I was 6 when I was introduced to C3P0. He is a mainstay of the franchise now.
Now, that Mr. Binks.....

Posts: 6301 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Occasionally slightly annoying, but he's supposed to be.

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I think he's annoying. I don't share your level of hatred toward him but I can understand it. I also find that he was built by Anakin to be stupid, I get that Anakin was a savant of sorts with mechanical objects so it's not the ability but just the coincidence and story. If he wanted to help his mom a protocol droid would not be the model, an astromech would have been the ticket. And I freaking hate that R2D2 just happened to come back to life in Rogue One at the exact right moment. I thought there was more to it than that, that he was waiting for Rae to show up but Abrams says no and that sucks.

Even when I was a kid, the droids didn't mean much to me. Han Solo was always my favorite character, later in the EU other characters became prominent.

I agree, time to leave R2 and 3PO out of it.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Lord Vaalic, I think you meant to say The Force Awakens.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Yes! Sorry

Posts: 10722 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I liked the droid from rogue 1 better than 3pO but yea he does a lot of explaining so...

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Ok, so I REALLY HATE C3PO. Hate as in "I wish they would kill him off in Episode 8, though I know they never will, so I'm dying a little every time they show him on screen in every new Star Wars movie" hate.

I don't hate either C-3PO nor Jar Jar Binks in that way. They're both kinda there and serve as placeholders in my mind. There are two comic-relief characters that I do reserve that level of dislike for but in non-Star Wars movies, and that's Mater from Pixar's Cars and Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element. I have a seething loathness for those comic characters.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I honestly prefer Jar Jar Binks to him

Whoa! Hold on now..you're pushing into dangerous territory. That village idiot of an aquatic camel can't hold a stick to that gay droid and his beard side-kick.

Posts: 14637 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Ok, so I REALLY HATE C3PO. Hate as in "I wish they would kill him off in Episode 8, though I know they never will, so I'm dying a little every time they show him on screen in every new Star Wars movie" hate.

I don't hate either C-3PO nor Jar Jar Binks in that way. They're both kinda there and serve as placeholders in my mind. There are two comic-relief characters that I do reserve that level of dislike for but in non-Star Wars movies, and that's Mater from Pixar's Cars and Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element. I have a seething loathness for those comic characters.

Ruby Rhod is the bomb,

just saying

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
I wish there were a box between "annoying" and "hate him".

I went with annoying.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do all of the astromech droids speak in beeps and whistles? Shouldn't they at least be able to speak galactic standard? And why does everyone act like they understand what they're saying? The beep language was a dumb idea, it makes no sense.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3526 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
People are multilingual in the Star Wars universe, so they're going to understand R2, BB-8, and all those other droids that don't speak standard. As far as audience interaction, you have to be pretty dense not to understand the emotions they're communicating by their beeps and whistles.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
As a kid I liked 3P0 in A New Hope. He never bothered me in ESB or RoTJ.
As I got older, he kinda annoyed me.
By the time the prequels came out, he got really annoying. I hated the whole story arc regarding Anakin building him. It's unforgiveable, and when Lucas faces Judgement, God may very well send him to hell for this, as it seems unpardonable.

Then he showed up in TFA, and I kinda sighed, but his screen time was pretty short.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Have you ever seen anything they are reading in any of the SW movies? Its not English.

Most people speak multiple languages

Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Chris Tucker's Ruby Rhod from The Fifth Element

Worst part of that film, and I like Tucker well enough otherwise.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post