New
Find
Notify
Tools

Inspector Morse Login/Join 
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted
I remember watching a few of these years ago. I must have been on the tail end of the series. I went to the library the other night and got a bunch of the shows on dvd's. I have started at the beginning and find it a bit slow at times, but interesting. The one I watched last night, is the first one in which he has not asked a suspect out.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
The series is good and the books are even better: Very complex plots (not your basic Kojak).

Colin Dexter himself was a crossword puzzle master. There's a story that he was once on a train staring at The Times Sunday puzzle (quite difficult). The guy next to him asked if he needed to borrow a pencil. Dexter responded, "No thank you, I just finished it".

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I agree with you about the plots, they can be complex. I have just finished season 2.

Posts: 5616 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
John Thaw died too young - 60. Imagine how many more Morse epsodes we would have. The cottage industry of Lewis and Endeavor spinoffs might never have happened.

BTW, John Thaw's daughter plays the newspaper editor in the Endeavor series.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I like the Inspector Morse books, especially “Last Bus to Woodstock”. But I like the somewhat similar Richard Jury books (Martha Grimes) even better. Like Morse, Jury, of Scotland Yard, has an entertaining sergeant.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Pipe Smoker,

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now and Zen
Picture of clubleaf206
posted Hide Post
I’m a big Inspector Morse fan, I like how the endings aren’t wrapped up in a tidy fashion, they’re bittersweet, a lot like life is, often.

Posts: 12178 | Location: The untamed wilds of Kansas | Registered: August 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also big fan. I like the Inspector Lewis followup series as well as the prequel Endeavor as well.

I would also recommend MidSomer Murders as well. A little harder to get into but the writing and acting is excellent. Its been on for twenty years and is still well done.

Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot little puppies.

Gene Hill

Posts: 626 | Registered: July 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Big fan of Inspector Morse. I saw many of them when they were on PBS Mysteries for years. Am ticked off that I didn't record them when I had the chance; the DVD's I've seen for sale are pretty expensive.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I enjoy the Endeavor series on PBS...

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Some of the Inspector Morse seasons are included with an Amazon Prime membership; also some of the Inspector Morse seasons are included if you subscribe to the Amazon Prime Britbox channel for $5 a month. A lot of other good British mysteries are available on Britbox or Acorn channels.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
{Thread Drift}

Another vote for Britbox. There's an enormous amount of great material there. My GF, an anglophile, insisted that I subscribe to it. I don't regret it and you almost certainly won't either.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15476 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
As of yesterday, I have watched all 33 episodes. I was binging there for a bit. I found it most interesting and very cerebral. There were also a number of attractive women who are older than 20.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I always enjoyed Morse.. the follow up series with Lewis I could not really get into... the prequels of Endeavor are pretty good if a bit on the harsh side...
Speaking of Endeavor it was not until the end of the original Morse series that we learned his first name.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
Also keep a lookout for Foyle's War. Detective series that takes place during and just after WWII. It's available on Amazon but no longer available on Netflix.

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I greatly enjoyed Foyle also. In one of the early Morse adventures, the actor who plays Foyle was a bad guy.

Picture of BrianC
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine anyone but John Thaw in the role.

"Television is called a medium because nothing on it is well done." -- Fred Allen

Posts: 11139 | Location: Here. Now. | Registered: August 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:
I greatly enjoyed Foyle also. In one of the early Morse adventures, the actor who plays Foyle was a bad guy.

Michael Kitchen is in a lot of different UK shows. He played a Prince Charles like character who becomes King in the original House of Cards

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3445 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Foyle’s War remains my favorite British mystery series by far, mostly due to Michael Kitchens’ acting and the wartime settings.
Next would be Inspector Lewis, then Endeavour, then perhaps Inspector Morse. Morse was always a little too crotchety for me. Also I hate Wagner.

Posts: 18044 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Not even Tristan und Isolde? Eek Smile