SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The come back of vinyl records mystifies me
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The come back of vinyl records mystifies me Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
Their dynamic range exceeds anything found on CD.

I am surprised by this. Vinyl records are usually quoted as having dynamic range of 50-60 dB, with exceptional pressings maybe reaching 70 dB. 16-bit digital audio has a dynamic range of 96 dB.

The 96 dB is an inflated oft quoted figure. Check this out for an interesting discussion.
https://www.analogplanet.com/c...-cds-heres-some-math

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16192 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
I never went away from vinyl records. That said I also have reel and cassette tapes and an excellent redbook CD deck with outboard DAC.

With proper cleaning and maintenance (I use both the Disk Doctor system and Nagaoka CL-152 Record Cleaner) vinyl records played on a quality turntable and cartridge set up with the proper tracking geometry and force will not exhibit pops and clicks.

There is something perceptibly different between vinyl analog and CD digital playback to my ears as well as many others. Call it warmth. Call it whatever. Bottom line is that I enjoy it! Big Grin

Interesting turntable. What make TT and cartridge, please?

I have a Thorens 125 Mark II, belt drive.

I have several turntables one is a Thorens TD 126 Mark III. wow see very few people that have Thorens.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^That set up brings back memories. Funny how things return.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I remember there WAS an audible diference between Vinyl and CD at the begining and there was absolutely no arguing it. Some early CD had a terrible tape noise that made them useless. The early Led Zep pressings were terible. Analog to Digital wasn´t always a success.

Now, remembering all he bitching and moaning about the CDs I wonder how come there was almost none of that when music moved from CDs to ultra compressed MP3? I miss my DBX 3BX III!!

I used to have a Thorens too. But my last one, 30 years ago, was a Technics 1200Mk2 if I remember correctly. I see they´re still around and widely copied.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12106 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post