SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted
Amazingly I was going through some old boxes clearing out clutter and came upon this snapshot. Oh man, the memories! This was 1964 and my folks got me a Silvertone dual pickup with amp in the case. My folks likely thought it would be a passing hobby and soon relegated to the closet to gather dust. What was never anticipated was it was a long 40yr hobby with tons of gear, lots of good friends, great times and many a fine guitars later. Pictured with me is my best bud Mark who had his Gretch in hand and goofing off we were.

What a long playing stretch that made so many good friends, great jams, unforgettable times, and a life that enlightened mine and my love for the guitar and music. Unfortunately I had some brain injury that has left my left arm and hand unusable and can no longer play. But I'm awful blessed to have all those years and tons of great memories and tremendous friends. Even in 1964 I was lucky to have no less than 8 or 9 great guitar players within a few blocks...though my neighbors probably would have wished otherwise Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: just1tym,

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
A Takamine nylon string classical guitar. Mostly inspired by Christopher Parkening.

I still have it, though it looks like it's been through war.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16266 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I got a Cort Flying V from Sears on my 15th birthday.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't remember the brand, it was some obscure Japanese electric. It wasn't long before I got a better one. I can't remember what happened to it.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3505 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I play the radio - a little bit.

But my kids both play. My son's first was a used Pawn Shop Squier Starcaster he bought for $75 when he was 11.

He's almost 18 now, and has over 12 guitars, and the newest acquisition is an American Strat SRV signature edition at just under $1700.

My daughter started on a discount Ibanez AE in blue, but her collection has included a Gretsch hollow body, a Gibson LP gold top, Martin acoustic, and a PRS.

Be careful what hobbies you let your kids pick up. Lest you become the broke dad. Wink

Posts: 10729 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rickenbacker 320 in JetGlo

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 545 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
A 4-string Davy Crockett guitar; it had a bell shaped body. Don’t remember the brand of my first steel string acoustic, but it hurt to play and I never got past the cowboy chords.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
My mom's 1968 Martin nylon-string. Recently had a neck-reset.

Posts: 3248 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Early 1970’s Aria open body acoustic electric. Cherry burst. Refitted with a Bigsby.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The long road ahead. My friend and musical genius Mike Dodd's folks bought him a Fender Jaguar, I flipped, had to have a Fender. A neighbor had a very neglected 65' Fender Mustang and I snapped it up. I stripped the hardware sanded and prepped the body and painted it in white lacquer. Topping things off, my next door neighbor Anthony worked in a metal shop and took all the metal hardware with the exception of the tuning heads and gold plated everything, tail piece, vibrato, switch covers, bridge everything. After assembly it was a masterpiece and had that notable Fender tone, the surf vibe. The neck radius was so small I often remarked a child could play it. An amazing guitar. It wasn't long before a friend just had to have it and I sold it and took the money to ACE Discount and bought my first Les Paul.

The first of many, however, what I wasn't aware of is that there were several LP models and I purchased a LP Deluxe with the single coil humbuckers. During this time I was fulfilling my commitment at The House of Harmony taking music lessons the folks paid for. Shortly following I was finally able to have Dad co-sign a loan and purchased my first awesome cherry sunburst Les Paul Custom with gold plated Grover machine heads and parts. Additionally the guy who owned Suniland Music knew my Mom so he also gave me a great deal for an Acoustic 105 Head with the 155 bottoms 4-10"s in the cab. That purchase fueled many years of some of the finest electric and acoustic guitars. I was hooked big time for the following 40 some odd years..

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Mine was a Gibson SG single pickup in Cherry Red. That was in about 1965. Some years ago, I bought a 1963 SG Les Paul Junior in the same configuration. It came with the original hang tags, strap and cardboard case.

I probably paid $150 for the first one and way tooooo much for the last one but Gibson is selling a re-issue of the guitar for $3,000.

I now remember playing it through a Vox Buckingham amp.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mcrimm,

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
A "Memphis" brand strat clone.
I still have it in the basement somewhere.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
A Series 10 by Bentley Les Paul copy that my dad bought for me from a friend of his around 30 years ago.

I still have it. I recently replaced all the electronics with quality components. It is playable again but I have never been a big fan of the LP shape and it is quite heavy. The hardware is typical for an import of that time period.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
Mid-‘60s Airline “Barney Kessel” like THIS one. I sold it to a friend after I came home from the Army, and I’ve wanted it back ever since!

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
A Seagull S6 acoustic. That was only 8 1/2 years ago.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I have a Seagull acoustic of about the same age. Has great tone.

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cth1974:
Mid-‘60s Airline “Barney Kessel” like THIS one. I sold it to a friend after I came home from the Army, and I’ve wanted it back ever since!

Very cool! Oddly enough I just recently read about Barney Kessel, when researching another guitar player. He was with the famous LA based Wrecking Crew, session musicians who played on thousands of recordings.

Posts: 13166 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yamaha GC-A Spruce topped Classical. Still have it, it was a fine Guitar.

My 2nd was a Spruce Topped Ramirez 1A.

Both were way better guitars than I deserved to play.........

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
The Sweet Spot. After acquiring my D-28 I'd take it almost everywhere with me. Late one very quiet night I left home with the pup and found an Elementary School down the street. I was just going to let him have free reign and tire him out before going to bed. Cutting through the hallways to the back field I happen to catch the echos bouncing off the concrete walls and floors. It finally caught my attention that here in this half lit concrete hallway it was an almost perfect acoustical chamber, I could almost here myself breathing. The Martin was sharp, crisp, and you could feel every note resonate within, with each chord change up you could here each of my calloused fingertips sliding over the bronze wound strings that had that true signature that something sweet and mello was opening into the open space of the air. I love the sound of those squeaks across the strings when it's still and silent.

It set a special tone that brought out each magical note played. Almost real connection with your guitar when you play, the sound feels like it wells up from the heart. Perfect tone, ringing clear, magic. Just me and my dog in a dark cold hallway...those tones are still with me today and will never be forgotten.

I'm going to guess here that I'm not the only one thats ever found that sweet spot. I know they're out there, I'm sure of it..

Regards, Will G.

If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Yamaha FG335 was my first real guitar. I sold it years ago and quit playing. About two years ago I picked up a cheap Ibanez and it got me interested again. Then on to a D’Angelico Premiere acoustic, then added a Squier Telecaster and a PRS. I’m sure there’s more in my future.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post