SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Bought used in 1975, played it through my stereo input jack until I got my Fender deluxe amp.

What a beautiful Fender Jag! This is my post quote from page 1 where I stated thats the Fender back in the mid 60's that got me hooked on Fenders.

"The long road ahead. My friend and musical genius Mike Dodd's folks bought him a Fender Jaguar, I flipped, had to have a Fender. A neighbor had a very neglected 65' Fender Mustang and I snapped it up. I stripped the hardware sanded and prepped the body and painted it in white lacquer. Topping things off, my next door neighbor Anthony worked in a metal shop and took all the metal hardware with the exception of the tuning heads and gold plated everything, tail piece, vibrato, switch covers, bridge everything. After assembly it was a masterpiece and had that notable Fender tone, the surf vibe. The neck radius was so small I often remarked a child could play it. An amazing guitar. It wasn't long before a friend just had to have it and I sold it and took the money to ACE Discount and bought my first Les Paul."

That was THE Fender that got me hooked! Mostly all my friends that owned Fenders in the mid-60's we were just around 14yrs old so their parents usually bought them their Fender gear. Many had Fender Duo Sonics or Mustangs, Strats, and a few Music Masters and Jazz Masters. Back then I definitely got hooked mainly on their Fender blackface amps. I had the Super Reverb, the Twin, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb, Vibrolux Reverb. All very nice amps and became my regulars.

Sorry about the delayed response to your beautiful photo of your guitar Butch, had some nagging health stuff that oftentimes drags me to the sidelines.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Hope you’re feeling better, Will

Posts: 13165 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thanks so much there buddy, I appreciate it. Yea the health stuff is complicated, never in my life did I expect to be at this point even at 68 yrs old. At the same time I'm so aware that it's not just about me, so many are having to deal with these complex struggles and managing things, I'm not alone.

Makes me so thankful that I had so many wonderful good years enjoying all the things that I've done, true blessings. Too, makes me appreciate the struggles others go thru, the strength, determination and willfulness of their endurance is unbelievably encouraging. Though missing playing is among the top of my list, if I had the opportunity of a do-over, I wouldn't have changed a thing, I truly had some amazing times with good friends, and really blessed to have those memories to reflect on.

And for all those who still play and enjoy it, you have no idea of how things could change literally in a moment, hold fast to the good times and play on.. Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Speaking of playing, here's one from a couple of weeks ago. My guitar is a bit dull as the stings are way overdue for a change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MV9h2O9Vv9s

Without Chance's site, I'm afraid I don't know how to embed.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hold Fast
Picture of Butch 2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:
Originally posted by Butch 2340:
Bought used in 1975, played it through my stereo input jack until I got my Fender deluxe amp.

Wow! What year was it made then?

I think it was a '72 model paid $300 for it, it would be worth about $3000 now.

BTW I traded the Jaguar in on a new 1979 Les Paul Deluxe sunburst which seem to be going for around $4K these days. Looked just like this.

Never shoot a large caliber man with a small caliber bullet . . .

Posts: 7629 | Location: Georgia  | Registered: May 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:

Next to the thumbs up/down buttons, there's a "share" button. Click that and another window comes up. On the upper left, click "embed." The window will change, and you'll see the embed code. Copy all that, paste in the [ FLASH_VIDEO ] tags, and away you go.

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Sounds easy!

Wait, what are the flash video tags?

Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
When you click "reply" to post here on SF, a window pops up that you type your post in, like I am now. There's a row of buttons above the text field. The second button from the right looks like a film strip with two exposures on it. Click that button and the [ FLASH_VIDEO ] [ /FLASH_VIDEO ] tags will show up. I added spaces between the brackets and the text to deactivate the tags, but if you leave them and paste your video link between those tags and hit "post," you'll be looking at an embedded video when the page reloads. Smile

Posts: 17055 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks again!

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Speaking of playing, here's one from a couple of weeks ago. My guitar is a bit dull as the stings are way overdue for a change.

Bravo 6guns! The only recording I ever did was in a Public TV station that my friend Tim worked at. We would go into the studio late at night and use their studio gear to record sessions on acoustic guitars. Tim also had a 59' D-18 and accompanied with my D-28 we recorded just sound tracks. He told me later that some of the techs used some of our music on background with some of their broadcasting. I admire and applaud you putting yours out, very enjoyable, well done!

Regards, Will G.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Will! It's just an iPhone video, but the best I can do. I really should record some more as I think it would keep me practicing more. Since the virus, open mics have been shut down and I've gotten away from playing a bit. I'll try to pick it back up.

It's too bad you never heard your music from the studio backing other broadcasts. That would have been a kick.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks, Will! It's just an iPhone video, but the best I can do. I really should record some more as I think it would keep me practicing more. Since the virus, open mics have been shut down and I've gotten away from playing a bit. I'll try to pick it back up.

It's too bad you never heard your music from the studio backing other broadcasts. That would have been a kick.

At least I did have the experience of the studio playbacks during those couple sessions. Just sweet classic Martin tones. Unmistakable when new strings are just put into action and heard through studio gear. Those special times are imprinted in my mind and whenever I hear classic Martin acoustic flavor it always drives those memories home Smile

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to say before this thread goes the way of all threads eventually, thank you all that participated and responded. For me it was a walk into a wonderful past full of great memories, experiences and good times. Almost daily, I miss picking up a guitar and working out a melody or something I was working on, but everything must go on and though I struggle at times coming to terms with my inability to play anymore, I've got nothing but praise and encouragement for those who can and do.

Enjoy the guitar, it is a way of life for many. It's been a good friend and my hope is that for all that play, it's a great journey full of fun and fulfillment, certainly an instrument of choice for everyone who pursues it with heart.

And thank you Sigforum for providing the place to share these experiences.

Regards, Will G.

W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:

You sing much better than Bob Dylan. Big Grin Don't get me wrong, I love me some Dylan (especially Desire).

You're playing has consistently gotten better and better. Very well done.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Oh, I forgot to say that my first amp was an Ampeg accordion amp. M-15, IIRC. I hated that thing with all my heart. I played a vintage Ampeg at a music store last year and it had the exact same smell when the tubes heated up the wood cabinet. Even if it would have sounded great (it didn't) I would never have bought it because of that. Brought back how much I loathed that Amp.

When the tubes finally blew out, I put it in the trash. I wasn't going to pay even $2 to get that thing fixed. It's probably worth a few bucks all these years later.

If you get the smell after start-up I'm no amp expert but do have a few decades of being an power company electrician and use the electrical schematics for troubleshooting almost daily when I was employed. I mostly checked all the wiring cables and electronics to include speaker(s)and tubes prior to warming them up. Even the speakers in the past have been found to have bad speaker wire(s) connections, signs of any hot spots on the coil that may indicate a start of a short and could indicate a suspect heat/smell spot. Then check the cones for damages and clean them up and blow dust out. Especially vintage stuff. Any vintage electronics caps, resistors, even tubes have been know to cook in a musty vintage cabinet and create a smell. Lots of stuff really. But this was a pre inspection standard for me when purchasing vintage amps or equipment, your miles may vary.

Mark, I've only had a few vintage Ampeg Gemini amps in my past and both even when placed on stand-by for periods never had any smells, pretty much the same with all the vintage Fenders. And both these amps were used for years. Like mentioned I still have the only one and remaining that I never got around to restoring. Ampeg was used widely in my time for many bass players who loved them and never heard many complaints.

I still favor the vintage blackface Fenders myself. If I had any regrets and continued playing my next target was going to find a good shaped vintage blonde face Fender amp.

I don't think it was electronic smell. It was that hot tubes in a wood cabinet that has a bit of humidity/moisture in it. The covering trapped moisture, I think.

Posts: 45330 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
I don't think it was electronic smell. It was that hot tubes in a wood cabinet that has a bit of humidity/moisture in it. The covering trapped moisture, I think.

Hi Mark, recently I was reading a thread about smoking pot while driving in the Whats Your Deal section and there were several posts about folks renting cars that had had either pot smoke or cigarette smoke stench ingrained into the upholstery so it had me also rethink that cabs can also pick up years of playing in various environments, small rooms, clubs, etc especially vintage equipment whereas the cabs have been exposed to all kinds of fumes that may have been absorbed into the wood and cloth. When the amp may heat up it exasperates the smell to be released into the environment. I actually bought my vintage Ampeg Gemini because it was old and vintage looking with a very smoke stained grill cloth. I was going to restore everything electronic wise, tubes, electronic components, speakers etc, but leave the outside cabinet as-is with that old smokey grill and worn cabinet look just to keep it with a vintage flair.

It wouldn't surprise me if your cabinet has been permeated by cig/pot/club fumes over the years if it's been exposed to those environments and releases these when heated up.

In any case, sorry you got one like that. As Ampeg amps were pretty popular in my day and many friends enjoyed them, I did. But like I mentioned, in the end I was pretty much an all Fender blackface amp collector, they were amazing and had an unmistakable sound.

Regards, Will G.

Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

You sing much better than Bob Dylan. Big Grin Don't get me wrong, I love me some Dylan (especially Desire).

You're playing has consistently gotten better and better. Very well done.

Wow, what a compliment! Big Grin Thanks, Mark! Seriously, Bob has a certain style for sure. Desire is a great album and I also like Blood on the Tracks.

Thank you!

Picture of pantera1994
posted Hide Post
My first guitar was a Fender Squire Bullet Series. I also purchased a 10 watt Peavey practice amp at the same time. That guitar only last about a year. I remember taking it to my local music store to have them do a setup and getting a call informing me the truss rod didn't work. What they didn't tell me was they stripped the threads themselves. Either way I used it as an excuse to buy a Fender Jag-Stang, and a Peavey Bandit. Big Grin

Posts: 1306 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: August 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pasound
posted Hide Post
I used to have a sixteen track Fostex analog studio. I had a blonde Ibanez solid body Gibson SG copy. Only guitar I ever owned that would do harmonic chimes on it when I tried. Any studio renter could use it. Had to sell the studio, gave the guitar to my business partner (he was the rhythm guitarist in a band we both worked for). Sorry I don't have it now, but glad it's still getting played in public, occasionally.

Old, stubborn, heavily armed.

Posts: 27 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: January 30, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
This was my first real guitar. My parents bought it for me from a family friend in the late 80s. I replaced the pickups and completely rewired it last year. It plays fairly well now. As good as a plywood body can. I still have my original Fender 15 amp in a closet somewhere too.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post