SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Was Your First Guitar and Guitar/Amps Related Discussions Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Interestingly I was reminded that my comment about not owning any Marshall amps was not the truth. I guess that some of my short term memory deficits from the stroke has erased my memory of a purchase from the 90's that I purchased a Marshall TSL-122 Combo amp. I remember the conversation that I was having with my longtime salesman Brad from L&M Music in Tenn who sold me on this more portable Marshall amp, so I stand corrected. I remember using it and messing with the effects loops and many of the settings configurations. Though I was primarily a Fender amp collector, Brad convinced me about how versatile this smaller Marshall Combo amp was. I do remember the Marshall tone flavor and I would definitely give this more portable Marshall a 2-thumbs up. At $1600 in the late 90's it was a fair price. Just another nugget that came to me as I was browsing thru my old receipts and photos.

This is just a stock photo off the web of it, the only thing I still have is my receipt above, I never had the sense to snap a photo of mine. But here's what they look like, a great little Marshall.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
First guitar was hand-me-down of my Grandfather's, an old Sears, I think. Though you would not know it. It was not cheap-looking at all; nice inlay all around the binding. Probably from the 1930's or '40's. That was when I was a child in the early '60's. My first of my own, in college, was a Gibson Hummingbird. Still have it, still love it.

Posts: 2693 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
So the other night we were out and about, killin' time until dinner and we happened to be near the local Guitar Center. Went in to check it out since I haven't been in there in well over a decade.

The guitar wall was about 70% empty. They had a few used guitars that I checked out and this one followed us home. I was very hesitant to buy it since I've only been playing for a couple months now but, just seemed like a deal I shouldn't pass on. Plus they give you 45 days to return for a full refund.

2017 Epiphone LP Custom Pro - $489

Now the question is, should I keep it? Felt awkward buying a second guitar when I've only been playing for two months.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Now the question is, should I keep it? Felt awkward buying a second guitar when I've only been playing for two months.

Is this a trick question? I don’t get it.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TMats:
quote:

Is this a trick question? I don’t get it.
Point taken. Smile

I read somewhere that the correct number of guitars one needs is n+1. Big Grin

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kx90:

I read somewhere that the correct number of guitars one needs is n+1. Big Grin

You are correct!

I say keep it, at least for a little while. As you play, I think you'll get a feel for whether it fits you or not.

By the way, I think Epiphone makes a fine guitar and you got a steal on that one. I have an Epiphone LP "standard plus-pro" which is lovely and gives me that powerful humbucker sound when I want it.

I think there's two main considerations for a guitar, all other things being equal: does it feel good to you when you play it, and do you get the tone(s) you want from it? If this guitar doesn't at least check both of those boxes for you after you take some time to get to know it, then I'd say you now know a little more about your personal tastes and shouldn't feel bad about selling or trading it and moving on to the next candidate.

A lot of the fun of guitars is trying different stuff. Enjoy! Smile

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
I like the one and the feel overall. The back of the neck does not feel as good as my Strat.

I agree, I'm going to keep it Smile At least until I am good enough to notice when playing a better guitar.

Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
My first guitar was a Checkmate acoustic that I bought at Kmart around 1970. I owned a couple of inexpensive electric guitars after that and still have and play the Electra Omega X220 single cut that I purchased in 1977 as well as the 1968 Ampeg 35 watt G-20 amplifier I purchased that same year.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 12GA,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post