SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Late to the Game: Deadwood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late to the Game: Deadwood Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Did the show make any sense, watching it like that?

No, it didn't and I would like to watch it from the first season. It is kind of like watching season 3 of Game of Thrones first and not know what is going on. I had to go back to the beginning of GOT, after I started to get interested in it. I don't watch a lot of tv and I hear some of the guys at work talking about some series and they pull me into watching it.

I liked Ian in the new series he was in when he played one of the gods or something like that, but couldn't watch it anymore after it got really weird after the first 2 episodes. Just not for me.

Posts: 6883 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
EB Farnum turned out to be one of my favorite characters. I especially loved his interactions with Richardson, which as I recall were in the later seasons.

Farnum and Richardson were among my favorite characters.

Francis Wolcott: This oatmeal looks old.
E.B. Farnum: It does, doesn't it? Richardson, Goddamn you! The oatmeal is clotted.
Richardson: Well, it's 45 minutes yet till the three hours.
E.B. Farnum: Stop spouting gibberish and replace the damned oatmeal.

Posts: 33793 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I guess this should be on my list.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38672 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I watched the first season when it was originally on, but didn't watch it after that.

I started from scratch a couple of months ago, and I am enjoying it, and looking forward to the seasons I didn't watch.

There are many good performances in it. I agree that Olyphant's character is among the less interesting. To be honest, he is a competent actor, but is not a standout in this show.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Having watches a good number of season one episodes now, I too concur that Olyphant's character isn't as dynamic as I had thought he would be. Timothy not "feeling" it? Writers' fault? Or my having been spoiled by Justified? Dunno. It is what it is. Smile

That said the series is well worth watching.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
For giggles looked up Calamity Jane's history. All I could think of reading about her was "train wreck."

And recalling after I moved here in the early 90s, stories about Deadwood having been been a local quasi* Clark County Nevada until 1980 when the brothels were finally shut down for good in a notorious raid.

* I say quasi as the four "houses" on the 600 block of Main Street were never legal, just tolerated as a tradition even by local law enforcement.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U

Always found this funny. Deadwood pancakes.

I enjoyed "Deadwood" from the start. Especially liked the first several episodes with Keith Carradine as Wild Bill.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f31PLcCXD0U

Always found this funny. Deadwood pancakes.

OMG that was classic! Thanks!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

I agree that Olyphant's character is among the less interesting. To be honest, he is a competent actor, but is not a standout in this show.

Without doubt Swearengen... (McShane) is the most interesting character and I would say central character in this series. I really enjoyed his conversations with the "chief's head"

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post