SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Late to the Game: Deadwood
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Late to the Game: Deadwood Login/Join 
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted
Folks recently posted about finally watching Blade Runner and The Sopranos. Well I never watched Deadwood.... until tonight. Just viewed the opening episode. Damn! Olyphant was great in Justified. Honestly didn't know he was in Deadwood supported by quite the cast. No doubt I'm gonna enjoy the remaining episodes. I did seem to pick up somewhere that the series didn't have a smooth ending. Regardless I'm diving in. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Knuckledragger
Picture of IndyRob
posted Hide Post
Ian McShane steals the show. Kieth Carradine is also excellent in the show.

Posts: 7358 | Location: Greater Indianapolis Area | Registered: October 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post

Great show.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17248 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
Ian McShane steals the show.

Absolutely. Olyphant's character kind of gets boring. He never becomes ruthless enough to justify his tough guy character. I was always wanting him to shoot someone or beat someone or do something, at the last second he would find religion and turned the other cheek too many times.

Where as McShane plays his role perfectly and carries the show. When you expect him to be a dick, he is a huge dick, and when you expect him to do a good deed, he's a huge selfish prick. Perfect for the show.

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nickelsig229:
quote:
Originally posted by IndyRob:
Ian McShane steals the show.

Absolutely. Olyphant's character kind of gets boring. He never becomes ruthless enough to justify his tough guy character. I was always wanting him to shoot someone or beat someone or do something, at the last second he would find religion and turned the other cheek too many times.

Where as McShane plays his role perfectly and carries the show. When you expect him to be a dick, he is a huge dick, and when you expect him to do a good deed, he's a huge selfish prick. Perfect for the show.

exactly

been a fan of his for years,

he was excellent in Lovejoy and just about every role he has been cast in

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
My inspiration for seeking out the Deadwood series to watch came from doing the 137 mile "loop" Thursday in my '03 S2000 from the Sheridan Lake area past Pactola Reservoir, through Lead, then Spearfish Canyon, on to Deadwood and back past Pactola to Sheridan Lake.

Cropped shot from my dash cam:

Approaching Spearfish Canyon:

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
McShane, the Doctor, Jane, Utter, the Preacher, so many good performances. Garret Dillahunt kills it in two roles. Carradine does a great job. Michael Harney is great as an angry racist piece of shit. I like Olyphant but he's amongst the least interesting here, IMO.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2: Garret Dillahunt kills it in two roles.

Maybe watching it as it was broadcast over three years that worked. Watching the whole thing in a few days online, that confused the shit out of me.

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Oh, I agree, how close together they occurred is a bit too much, but I don't fault him for that and I think he did a great job as both very different characters just the same.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The Number of Fucks in Deadwood

LOL Keeping score... downright funny!

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of scot818
posted Hide Post
I never saw it until about a year ago. One of the first shows that I binge watched. Really regretted that because there are so few episodes.

Enjoy it.

Posts: 1440 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: May 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
My inspiration for seeking out the Deadwood series to watch came from doing the 137 mile "loop" Thursday in my '03 S2000 from the Sheridan Lake area past Pactola Reservoir, through Lead, then Spearfish Canyon, on to Deadwood and back past Pactola to Sheridan Lake.

Cropped shot from my dash cam:

Approaching Spearfish Canyon:

Nice ride!! We did it several weeks ago, had lunch at the LatchString Restaurant, very nice. Being retired , middle of the week cuts down on traffic!

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Garret Dillahunt kills it in two roles.

Garret Dillahunt kills it in every role he's in ever.

One of my favorite actors. Terminator, Burn Notice, Raising Hope etc etc etc. He's great.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:

Nice ride!! We did it several weeks ago, had lunch at the LatchString Restaurant, very nice. Being retired , middle of the week cuts down on traffic!

Thanks and concur Jim. Retired here too. I was hoping for more fall colors in Spearfish Canyon as they said the foliage was at over 70% of max. Guess I've been spoiled by what New England and parts of NY state have shown me in years past. Smile

USN (RET), COTEP #192

The SIG Kahuna
Picture of GeeTen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

Great show.

Wu, my man! Big Grin

TTFN,
"Point Blank" Frank
8-)

I miss Erhardt!

Posts: 2831 | Location: Red Sox/Patriots Nation | Registered: June 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've only watched an occasional show, but Ian is a great actor.

Posts: 6840 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patw:
I've only watched an occasional show...
Did the show make any sense, watching it like that?

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
EB Farnum turned out to be one of my favorite characters. I especially loved his interactions with Richardson, which as I recall were in the later seasons.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Mayor Farnum

William Sanderson was awesome in this role, and I agree, those scenes with Richardson were great. Farnum and the Doctor are two of my favorite performances beyond Al.