SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Pacific Rim Uprising
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pacific Rim Uprising Login/Join 
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted
I really enjoyed the first movie. The sequel looks promising from the trailer!

https://youtu.be/fUjicxMPDzs

-Dtech

"I've got a life to live, people to love, and a God to serve!" - sigmonkey

"Strive not to be a success, but rather to be of value." - Albert Einstein

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
The trailer even suffers from “Let’s make it HUGE!”

Oy ve.

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9144 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
The trailer leaves me conflicted. It looks like they are going to attempt to have lots of emotion and character development in the movie. The first movie was a thin story just to tie together jaeger/kaiju fights and a common unsympathetic enemy (I loved it). This movie looks to be going more lamestream.

Posts: 1996 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
It looks like a direct-to-video sequel. The jaegers are too fast. The main kaiju is too big. Guillermo del Toro isn't directing. I'm going to wait to see it on a streaming service.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Are they going all youthful/angsty on us?

I loved the first one. This trailer does not impress me.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21821 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
I must admit that the Jaegers do seem to move faster, but maybe that's just part of the story and them being upgraded Jaegers with better/more muscle fibers, motors, and reactors. Hopefully it will look more relative on a large screen. The weaponry looks upgraded too of course and appears some Jaeger on Jaeger battles will take place. I'll stay hopeful because I liked the original so much.

The quality and resolution of the original's video and sound are amazing on my LG OLED 4K TV and surround setup just upconverting the original Blu Ray to 4K using my Oppo 203 player and running it through my Denon receiver and Klipsch speakers.

The best looking sci-fi native 4K disc movie I've watched on my setup to date though has been Transformers: The Last Knight. It was actually shot in the latest Dolby Vision and provides a flawless picture with unbelievable detail. I thought the movie itself was great too. The Dolby Vision picture dynamically switches from letter box to full screen depending on the scene and how it was shot or animated. I thought it would be distracting at first but you get used to it quickly and finally accept it as part of the storytelling. But I digress.

-Dtech

"A man can never have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition" ― Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 4413 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: April 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
I'm in! Loved the first one.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dtech:
I must admit that the Jaegers do seem to move faster, but maybe that's just part of the story and them being upgraded Jaegers with better/more muscle fibers, motors, and reactors. Hopefully it will look more relative on a large screen. The weaponry looks upgraded too of course and appears some Jaeger on Jaeger battles will take place. I'll stay hopeful because I liked the original so much.

IIRC, the sequel is supposed to take place 10 years after the first movie, and I've seen some theorizing that the Jaeger-Jaeger battles suggests that without the kaiju as a unifying threat humanity went back to waging war against each other.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ethics, antics,
and ballistics
Picture of Dtech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryarnaud:
IIRC, the sequel is supposed to take place 10 years after the first movie, and I've seen some theorizing that the Jaeger-Jaeger battles suggests that without the kaiju as a unifying threat humanity went back to waging war against each other.

Makes sense.

Anyone remember the movie Robot Jox? We've definitely come a long way since then!

-Dtech

We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I like sci fi movies like this. Besides, Boyega is growing on me, I'm liking his stuff.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually hated stuff like this growing up and refused to see the first movie until one night there was nothing on. I liked it, I was entertained.

Now this one...yeah, it suffers from LETS MAKE IT BIGGER. Hell they even got a young black guy, with a English accent to replace Idris Elba...just couldn't get a black guy or, some other guy but, a younger version. Roll Eyes

Posts: 14571 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
From what I understand, Boyega plays Elba's son in the movie. I'm not 100% sure, though.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post