SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Exorcist messed me up real good.
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Exorcist messed me up real good. Login/Join 
Picture of Rawny
posted
Seeing Regan's pics in the meme thread at the Lounge reminded me what effect that film had on my then young mind full of mush.

There was a scene where Karass meets Regan for the first time, and she demanded he "kindly undo these straps..."

Whenever someone write to ask me to "kindly" do something, I hear that gravelly voice in my head and take it as a veiled threat.

It still stands as one of my favorite horror films, but I was way too young to watch something that intense. Eek

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
My older brother and sister took me to see Jaws when I was WAY too young. It messed me up for life. I am 54 and STILL hesitate and worry about entering the ocean when we go to the beach.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
Still the ONLY movie that freaked me out as a kid.Ive never been afraid of the dark except for a period of two weeks following the viewing of that movie.

Posts: 6005 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
You're going to die up there.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
My older brother and sister took me to see Jaws when I was WAY too young. It messed me up for life. I am 54 and STILL hesitate and worry about entering the ocean when we go to the beach.

I was taken by my idiot mother at 4 years old. Taken to shir like Friday the 13th as well. I’ll surf at the beach, swim close to shore, but fuck scuba diving, and I loathe horror films to this day.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I saw Jaws around 6 or 7. Still don’t like the ocean.

I went to Catholic school for 12 years.....I saw the Exorcist far to young. Catholic school + little kid + The Exorcist........I mean that is mess your yourself scary right there. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7631 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Almost as Fast as a Speeding Bullet
Picture of Otto Pilot
posted Hide Post
Close Encounters freaked me out pretty good when the aliens were trying to get into the house. The appliances freaking out and the bright lights were tolerable, but the screws undoing themselves from the vents freaked me right out.

Aeronautics confers beauty and grandeur, combining art and science for those who devote themselves to it. . . . The aeronaut, free in space, sailing in the infinite, loses himself in the immense undulations of nature. He climbs, he rises, he soars, he reigns, he hurtles the proud vault of the azure sky. — Georges Besançon

Posts: 11502 | Location: Denver and/or The World | Registered: August 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
Exorcist. Yea, messed me up as well. Still can’t watch it. Omen creeped me out but Exorcist messes me up.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Exorcist was rough.

Phantasm messed me up though. Had nightmares about the orb for years.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I had nightmares for several years after my Grandmom took me to see this at age 10: Eek

Posts: 33601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
Exorcist. Yea, messed me up as well. Still can’t watch it. Omen creeped me out but Exorcist messes me up.

The Omen, can’t watch it just like the Exorcist. I’m surprised so many of us were subjected to these films at early ages. I’m not alone Big Grin
The Halloween horror film music, and the chuh cha cha Friday the 13th music still creeps me out to this day.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12568 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
The Exorcist III, with George C. Scott, is quite good and stands up well nowadays. It's more suspenseful, less about the special effects, and the best of the series, IMO.

The original was shocking, of course, and the second one sucks, I think.

But check out the third one if you haven't seen it and like suspense/"scary" movies.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Wizard of Oz.

Flying monkeys.

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10X-Shooter:
Still the ONLY movie that freaked me out as a kid.Ive never been afraid of the dark except for a period of two weeks following the viewing of that movie.

Saw it one night when I was maybe 11 on HBO while my parents were out. I actually "bypassed" the cable lock box so I could watch it. I slept with a light on for MONTHS!

Posts: 828 | Location: STL | Registered: January 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rawny
posted Hide Post
Wow... So many were scarred at a young age like me. Our parents didn't raise no snow flakes. Razz

Oddly, I watched The Omen before The Exorcist. That one made me afraid of sleeping alone for many moons, but The Exorcist made a more lasting impression.

The Exorcist is in a way a much quieter film, without the Gregorian chants used in The Omen. Effective no doubt, but Jerry Goldsmith used it a few times too many. The choice to minimize the use of music and sound effects enhanced the sense of terror in The Exorcist.

Posts: 2640 | Location: San Hozay, KA | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I took my 16 year-old first date to see the Exorcist. I didn’t know she was a devote Catholic. She left the theater halfway through the film and that ended our bubblegum romance. Live and learn.

Still a good flick.

I Drink & I Know Things

Posts: 352 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I think I was in my early teens when I saw it, and pretty well prepared, but it still made me uneasy for several days/nights. My father was a Methodist chaplain and had read the book, in which the priests had some deep, meaningful conversations, which of course were cut right out of the script. Dad was not happy about that, as that was the only reason he took me and my brothers to see it.

The tv/movie thing that I actually remember bothered me the most, albeit at a much younger age, was this guy:

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
Marathon man. As a kid, my mother used to drag me to a dentist just like the one portrayed by Olivier. Pain and threats as well.

She had second thoughts only after he had one kid die at his office.

To this day I shake like an earthquake when I go to the dentist. I think I'm going to die of fear, kid you not.

Needless to say, I go once every hundred years or less. It s embarrassing how badly I shake.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No worries!
Picture of Chach
posted Hide Post
It was Poltergeist for me, that movie messed me up fierce as a kid. I refuse to sleep in a room with a tree right outside and forget about toy clowns. F-that. Never had an issue with Omen or Exorcist though.

Posts: 3188 | Location: NorCal - Sac | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Jaws messed me up more than The Exorcist. The Exorcist messed me up in a different way. I was on a fall trip in Washington DC around Georgetown when I learned my father had died. A few years later I was watching The Exorcist, and when Ellen Burstyn was walking through Georgetown in the beginning, it reminded me of that time and I had to turn the movie off.

But, that Regan girl grew up very well. Wonderfully nice lady!

Posts: 5580 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post