SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Predator (2018) - IMDB: 9-14-2018 U.S. release
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Predator (2018) - IMDB: 9-14-2018 U.S. release Login/Join 
california
tumbles into the sea
posted
do i get a cookie now?

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll see it. Though probably not in theaters. But I'll definitely see it.

------------------------------
I'm a right wing, anti-illegal, pro-life, gun owning, straight, white, college educated, politically informed, conservative, Christian male. Liberals hate me.

Posts: 2901 | Location: RDU, NC | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
Shane Black, Rated R, looks better than the other bullshit Predator movies...I'm in.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
They’ve tricked me so many times with their bullshit. The Antarctica Predtaor film, the one with Brody on another planet fighting them in the jungle, then the one where the ship lands in Colorado and shit erupts on the street . All 3 of these were shit films. The one with Brody was terrible. An Oscar winner, doing some B movie Predator film.

This new deal, meh. I’ll watch it on Blu Ray or 4K Blu Ray when it’s available at home.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I've only seen the original. This one looks good - though trailers suck you in sometimes. It's what they do.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
Didn't Shane Black do Ironman 3? Count me out.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vgex:

But he wrote Lethal Weapon, does that help???

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9687 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I've only seen the original. This one looks good - though trailers suck you in sometimes. It's what they do.

Then you're better off skipping possibly all the others with the possible exception of Predator 2. It isn't as good as the first, but it's way up there on the 80's action scale meter and starts to explain the yautja as a species, what they do, and why they do it. I saw a few references to backstory that won't make sense without having seen that film, so it might be worth a watch. The species backstory gets filled out a little more with the successive movies, but they turn into worse and worse crapfests pretty quickly. Brody was the worst.

This one? It looks like it will be worth a watch. I've been wanting to see a film that takes one of, arguably the coolest monster creatures brought to the big screen, and does something actually interesting. The PC games did a far better job of it than Hollywood has, so far, and I'll let you in on a little secret: The scene in the middle of the trailer is straight-up lifted right out of one of those games.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

Just goes to show some things don't improve with age. I'm not thrilled with the way the trailer makes this movie seem. On the one hand, it seems to start out like a very strong sequel to the original but then introduces an element that makes me nervous.

There is a comic mini-series titled Predator: Bad Blood that Dark Horse Comics released in the early '90s that featured a rogue Predator stalking human prey on Earth and a second Predator that was sent to capture it. Over the course of the series, the "good" Predator ends up killing a few humans but is mostly trying to avoid contact with them. If that is the premise on which this movie is based, it's definitely doing it backward.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
quote:

No.

Posts: 2011 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
the main 'good guy' played the Anglo DEA agent in Narcos.

I might give it a shot... maybe

looks like some good gunplay

--------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
There is a comic mini-series titled Predator: Bad Blood that Dark Horse Comics released in the early '90s that featured a rogue Predator stalking human prey on Earth and a second Predator that was sent to capture it. Over the course of the series, the "good" Predator ends up killing a few humans but is mostly trying to avoid contact with them. If that is the premise on which this movie is based, it's definitely doing it backward.

That's a possibility. I was talking about this very thing with my brother a bit earlier and he had another theory. Lazy writing. They've been doing it with Star Wars and Star Trek films the last few years also. When you can't think of how to make a terrifying opponent who's been bested before terrifying again, you make a Leviathan version. Star Wars: Bigger Death Star, bigger Super Star Destroyers. Star Trek: More or less the same thing with the Enterprise being just always hopelessly outmatched and puny. The Terminator series of films did this also, increasingly bigger, badder, more advanced versions of everything. And at the same time, making the original versions into creampuff versions of their former selves. Same with Predator.

So, I see it as a bigger trend to outdo the old stuff, but without much success. Alien was a terrifying film, with just one xenomorph to deal with, but by the time we get around to AVP and AVP2, they're practically a joke unless they're one hatched from something that isn't human, getting slaughtered wholesale.

That said, the more I watch the trailer, the more and more I remember from the AVP2 PC (2001) game that so much of this is starting to look like it's directly lifted from. And honestly, if that's the case and they do it right, it might not be a bad thing at all.

Posts: 17123 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

We're mid-season 2 on Narcos & I thought he looked familiar.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

great series, isn't it?

-----------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
quote:

great series, isn't it?

-----------------------------

Enjoying it quite a bit.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15314 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Meh. I'll see it at a cheap matinee.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Been a fan of the series. I’ll watch it on the big screen.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
I have no doubt this will be a stinker. The trailers usually have the best scenes and I wasn’t impressed. Just get Predator 1 and 2 on Blu Ray and be happy with them. None of the other movies are worth watching.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aparoche:
I have no doubt this will be a stinker. The trailers usually have the best scenes and I wasn’t impressed. Just get Predator 1 and 2 on Blu Ray and be happy with them. None of the other movies are worth watching.

I bought Predator on BluRay Year’s ago, and it looks fantastic. Dark scenes lack much clarity, but the bright jungle shots are amazing.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Another Hollywood's "We've run out of ideas" movie. Yawn.

Q

Posts: 26381 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post