SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Great Wall (Matt Damon - 2017)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Great Wall (Matt Damon - 2017) Login/Join 
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted
Basically, this is a Chinese version of World War Z with mythical beasts as the antagonist rather than zombies. I describe it as such because it reminds me of what the Israel scene in WWZ would have looked like if extended to 90 minutes.

Matt Damon and Pedro Pascal play a couple of European mercenaries who have travelled to China in search of black powder, a mysterious and legendary weapon nobody outside of China has seen. During their journey, their party of mercenaries is set upon and destroyed by an unseen enemy. Damon's character, William, manages to sever one of the creatures claws and kill it without ever catching a glimpse. He carries the claw with him in hopes of finding an answer to what it was that attacked his party. When he and Tovar (Pascal) suddenly find themselves at the foot of the Great Wall, they're captured and brought before the General and his aides de camp who command the tens of thousands of troops manning the Wall. The only reason they're not executed outright is the claw William has on him. It belongs to a creature the Chinese have fought for centuries and the purpose behind which the Wall was built. Every 60 years, the creatures attack and to everyone's dismay, their next predicted assault is beginning earlier than expected...

I enjoyed the movie for its spectacular visuals, which anyone who's seen a Chinese film can attest is always fantastic. Additionally, the way the machinations on the Wall are portrayed and the techniques used to fight, both human and monster, are very interesting to see in action.

As a monster movie, I enjoyed this way more than Resident Evil: The Final Chapter. It's got the usual tropes but the movie flows well and the story is very straightforward. There are no jump scares, the sound editing is carefully managed, and--again--the visuals are great.

It'll make for a great rental when it becomes available.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
I saw the previews for this one and wondered who Matt Damon owed money to... Maybe he got a sports betting habit no one knows about... Who knows.

This one looked like pure, unadulterated crap to me... But as you say, probably more of a fantasy/visual film, as opposed to anything that makes sense.

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
On my way to work this am was listening to talk radio, they said it's the most expensive film ever made in China. They also mentioned it took a giant crap in the box office race, finishing behind Lego's Batman and Sade at Fiddy, Part Deaux.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
i heard the fighting was excellent but the script was shit. Alot of explaining of explaining of explaining like the audience was dumb. Netflix for me.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deqlyn:
i heard the fighting was excellent but the script was shit. Alot of explaining of explaining of explaining like the audience was dumb. Netflix for me.

wonder if we can get it in chinese, with sub-titles? that way, the explaining seems more ok...

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Damon has been on the tube lately wanting me to kick in some cash for water projects in Africa.
Gotta have a cool drink while polishing your RPG!
I will wait for his new flick on Netflix.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16070 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
$150M production. Earned $15M its opening weekend in states.

And $244M in China.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I'll wait til there's literally nothing else on tv and I can't sleep.

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
Screw Matt Damon

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3641 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

And $244M in China.

Was attendance compulsory?

Posts: 11507 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nukeandpave:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

And $244M in China.

Was attendance compulsory?

LOL

It's a Chinese tale (like Mulan, Hidden Tiger, etc). It's cultural for them.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ACTEG
posted Hide Post
Is this another poor brown/asian/islander/(fill in non white) can't save themselves, but the almighty white man comes in and single handedly saves the entire race, while simultaneously boning the hottest native female kind of movie?

Or, since this is a chinese film, is this a case of the chinese teaching the foolish white man ancient secrets that show the true path to enlightenment.

Just trying to set my expectations. I'm a sucker for chinese action flicks.

Posts: 3585 | Registered: March 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just trying to set my expectations. I'm a sucker for chinese action flicks.

This ain't it. I saw it today...I was bored and had nothing else to do.....It is a really bad movie. Damon must have lost a bet with Affleck on whose movie was going to be better, the latest Bourne or The Accountant. When the ENTIRE premise of a movie is so it can be seen in 3D, it is going to be bad. NO actual display of martial arts, there was some wire-fu but only in the context of furthering the 3D aspect. The whole time I was in there I kept thinking that the Chinese armor looked a lot like the the Elven Armor from The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings painted over (somebody got a deal and decided to make a movie) Yeah, the Chinese Warriors of the Nameless Order guarding the Great Wall had some inventions and contraptions.I think they should have had more since they had been fighting this war every 60 years for over 900 years.

You would be much better off watching one of the old Shaw Brother movies on Netflix or Amazon Video.

PS. no boning, he didn't even kiss the hot Chinese girl.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jsbcody,

Posts: 3926 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:

PS. no boning, he didn't even kiss the hot Chinese girl.

Wait. No boning? Well I'm out.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30401 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I know I'm LATE to the Party on this one but just saw it. To say it's VISUALLY STUNNING is to put it mildly.

I've certainly seen FAR WORSE flicks, at least this one was interesting.

The ending as well as a few other situations in the film were poorly set up, or defined though. Happened to catch a video on YouTube that explained the weird endings on movies...explained the ending on this one.

All about the magnet!

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
finally saw this today. Pretty, the colors reminded me of MTG. actually now that i think of it, the whole Army reminded me of a Kor ally army deck.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed the movie too. It was a white man's chinese movie. Which is pretty strange for me. They embellished it with expensive colors and cgi. Besides the technological embelishments, there weren't any lags between lip movements and the voice overs.

I thought the movie was several years late in trying to capitalize on the crouching tiger, hidden dragon movie as that train has come and went.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19646 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post