SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Why do you like this movie?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do you like this movie? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Yesterday I was watching one of my favorite movies. Which movie isn't important but it is Pi.

My wife sat down to join me and got a look on her face that was between confusion and disgust. After a while she asked "why did you like this movie?" I sat silent for a couple of minutes and decided I didn't have a way to explain it to her.

After thinking about it, I suppose I can identify with the characters, I like the plot, it gives an interesting view of the world. I guess I still don't know how to explain it.

Do you have a movie that you like that you can't explain why?

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Sort of.

A guilty pleasure of mine is big budget Disaster Movies. The Core, Armageddon, Twister, 2012, etc. I'm not entirely sure why I like them, but it damn sure isn't the amazing plot or world class writing. It's like comfort food, somehow, mixed with CGI and explosions.

(I love Pi, btw)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I like Drive, though none of my friends do. I like it because it's quiet. I think it's that very reason that many people don't enjoy it like I do.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
I like Drive, though none of my friends do. I like it because it's quiet. I think it's that very reason that many people don't enjoy it like I do.

I love it for that reason, too.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm not familiar with that one. I'll have to check it out.

Posts: 45369 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I like movies with no-name actors sometimes because it removes any pre-existing conditions or thoughts I may already have about the actor.
A fresh experience if you will.
YMMV

Posts: 22891 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
Probably because I'm an introvert ex-video store manager, I can pretty much explain why I like any film I see.

Even Fast and the Furious: Tokyo Drift? Yes.
Even Spice World? Yup.
Even Howard the Duck? Especially Howard the Duck.

quote:
I like Drive, though none of my friends do. I like it because it's quiet.

I love Drive. I loved that glossy neo-'80s vibe. Less story and more ethereal ambience. It's like Walter Hill's The Driver filtered through Michael Mann on Quaaludes. I believe it turns off many people who judge films based solely on the story.

Try Nicolas Winding Refn's Neon Demon for even more of a mindf---!

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's a wonder why Bonnie and I have been together for 35 years.

I have a list of my top 20 movies ,
We've only seen 6 of them together. she would not be interested in the least of the others.

oh we've seen 30 or so movies together ,over the many years , most were only ok.

Same way with tv shows, her tastes are a lot different than mine

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Try Nicolas Winding Refn's Neon Demon for even more of a mindfuck!

Isn't that kind of a horror movie? I'm not down with teh horror flicks! Frown

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18022 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
Do you have a movie that you like that you can't explain why?
Beyond the Black Rainbow (2010), Panos Cosmatos

I want to see his new film Mandy (2018) but it'll probably not play here.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
For me, it's movies that I stumble across, even part way through, and will always finish watching 'til the end. Don't really have a list, I just KNOW it's one I'll finish watching. At this moment in time, Grosse Point Blank pops into my mind as one.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3444 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LastCubScout:
Try Nicolas Winding Refn's Neon Demon for even more of a mindfuck!

Isn't that kind of a horror movie? I'm not down with teh horror flicks! Frown

That's a good description! "Kind of a horror movie." Or a real surreal ethereal drama.

Posts: 5583 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
For me, it's simple: I'm a muzzle flash aficionado and so I like movies that have a lot of them, and the bigger, the better. I pay very little attention to how the weapons are employed (usually in those movies the tactics are abysmal). It's a cathartic experience for me--I'm normally a very laid-back, non-violent, unconfrontational person and watching a lot of spectacular shooting relaxes me. It also does not matter if there are any deaths involved--I like the "A-Team", for example. Just give me lots of shooting with flashy ammo and I'm happy.

I also rate movies based on the muzzle-flash count and have more than 2500 films rated that way. I confess I've not done much activity in that in the past several years, though. I guess I'm getting my kicks from NCIS, etc. (I do wish they'd resurrect Soldier of Fortune, Inc., though....)

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not you,
it's me.
Picture of RAMIUS
posted Hide Post
quote:

Which Drive? Trying to check it out, but there’s a bunch of movies with that name.

Posts: 7016 | Location: Right outside Philly | Registered: September 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post