SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    The Curse of Oak Island
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Curse of Oak Island Login/Join 
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
I did searches to check the sources of their funding and TV advertising and the show itself are but a very small part of the funds utilized. It's obvious that all that machinery and high tech equipment companies costs big $$. I'm sure that deals are made if discoveries are found but, until that time the major investors bare the costs. They don't seem to spare any expenses with equipment and procedures, both on land and water around the island.

They are starting to find some interesting bits and pieces of historical finds lately, but no real solid treasure, gold or silver in any quantity. I still enjoy seeing them search for some though, and actually hope they find something of significance be it treasure of historical.

I still think the money pit was a trap, or a diversion. It just doesn't make sense to leave that stone carving at the 90' level stating that 40' below are 2 million pounds lay buried. It would seem to lead them directly into the flood tunnels. A lot of work went into just that alone for some cause?

Anyway, good luck Rick, Marty, and Craig!

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I recall reading somewhere that Rick and Marty are part owners of the island

also, a lot of the heavy equipment is coming from Irving, one of the largest multi-nationals in Canada - Irving is into everything from pulp and paper, forestry, to shipbuilding destroyers and frigates

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
The Laginas are partners in the business that owns 78% of Oak Island. The remaining 22% is owned by various families.

quote:
Marty and Rick Lagina don’t own Oak Island in its entirety. Instead, the brothers are involved in a business partnership with Craig Tester, Dan Blankenship (who has owned a portion of the island since before it sold in 2005), and Alan K. Kostrzewa under the Oak Island Tours Incorporated. The business is said to own around 78% of the island.
Oak Island Facts

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't you know it, production is at a stand still, Union Crane Operators Strike...

Meanwhile Gary Drayton finds another piece of early century lead Smile

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 9660 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville, FL | Registered: January 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If they are using modern equipment and having a hard time finding something, how the hell was this all dug by hand 300 years ago? Oh, love the show!

“I'm fat because everytime I do your girlfriend, she gives me a cookie”.

Posts: 546 | Registered: December 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I've never watched the show but when I read the premise of it a while back, it reminded me of a book named "Riptide" by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (authors of the Pendergast novels). Just looked it up on Wikipedia and found that Riptide "is pure fiction but is based in part on the legend of the Oak Island Money Pit."

It's been years since I read the book but I remember it being a good read.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2103 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Not a lot happening on last nights show. Maybe it's just me but often I read a lot of disappointment in facial expressions. I'm sure a lot may be scripted but still, it comes mostly out of their pockets. I do wish them success and find something worth it for them. Drayton the metal detector guy looks to be enjoying himself though..I wonder if he gets paid in any fashion, or proceeds, gotta love doing what you enjoy for work!

Regards, Will G.

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
It was a pretty slow installment. Maybe it's the calm before the storm.

At this point, it seems pretty simple: excavate Smith's Cove until the box drain convergence point is found, then follow it back to the Money Pit. The hurdles are more political then procedural (environmental permits and crane operator strikes).

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16319 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen Drayton the Metal Detector dude on several other shows. Probably a paid consultant. And he is the only one finding anything.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16072 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have seen Drayton the Metal Detector dude on several other shows. Probably a paid consultant. And he is the only one finding anything.

Yooper, now that you mentioned it, if I remember correctly, I saw a show with Gary waist high in water in some mangroves using his detector. With the exception of the mosquitos it looks like he was having a great time. He also displayed some expensive treasure he has found in the past. He displayed pieces worth hundreds of thousands of dollars so he done pretty well detecting.

Regards, Will G.

Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
Drayton's been around for quite a while and has found a ton of stuff in Florida and somewhere in Europe. Josh Gates had him on one of his shows last year or the year before. Dude knows how to swing a detector.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MG34_Dan
posted Hide Post
Well, the season is over and so is my interest in the show, if it ever comes back. I was channel surfing the night before last and what should I happen upon? Marty Lagina and Giorgio Tsoukalos were discussing ancient aliens and cave paintings with each other. If the screwball Tsouko is involved with Oak Island in any manner whatsoever, it proves to me they're all nuts. Adios...

“Elections have consequences, and at the end of the day, I won.”
– Barack Hussein Obama, January 23, 2009

Posts: 2191 | Location: Austin Texas USA | Registered: February 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Marty's already onto another financial fiasco with hunting for the Lost Civil War Gold in The Great Lakes. Personally, I'm thinking that Marty better keep a close eye on these guys who got him to finance their search based on the evidence they came up with. He has his son working along side of these guys, he looks like a bright kid so if they're going to pull the wool over the Lagina's eyes, I can assure them there's gold buried out in the Everglades and I know exactly where it is! Wink

Regards, Will G.

Bad dog!
Picture of justjoe
posted Hide Post
quote:
I keep telling him they they are stringing him along

Wait! I believe the treasure is just over thar! Let's go dig thar, boys! Dig deep now, because I have this Viking map..............

What?

Not a thing?

Nothing at all?

Well, let me double check this Viking map. I see now I was holding it upside down! So....the treasure should be right over THAR!

"You get much farther with a kind word and a gun than with a kind word alone."

Posts: 11106 | Location: pennsylvania | Registered: June 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
quote:
If the screwball Tsoukolos is involved with Oak Island in any manner whatsoever, it proves to me they're all nuts. Adios...

Well in the last few episodes there was mention of "mysterious lights" and disappearing black smoke or some other phenomena occurring on the island Big Grin

Regards, Will G.

Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
A touching tribute to Dan Blankenship in the last episode of the season.

Regards, Will G.

"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Every time I see a thread about this show I think of the Brian Dennehey line from Never Cry Wolf.

"I'll let you in on a little secret Tyler, the gold's not in the ground. The gold's not anywhere up here. The real gold is south of 60, sitting in living rooms, stuck facing the boob tube, bored to death." Wink

Posts: 21101 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enidpd804:
Drayton's been around for quite a while and Josh Gates had him on one of his shows last year or the year before.

His voice and accent are unmistakable. It was the one where they were looking for King John's crown jewel caravan that was lost crossing The Wash. Drayton met Josh in a pub and had him eat raw eel. I almost barfed.

quote:
Originally posted by just1tym:
A touching tribute to Dan Blankenship in the last episode of the season.

Missed it. Have to catch a rerun.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3447 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I missed it as well, will have to look for it...I thought I saw the last episode of the season...

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
Yea, it was a special episode with that announcer guy Matty Blake. The tribute to Dan Blankenship and supposedly some bomb shell news find with the seismic testing at the swamp. They said something about a doorway with possible stairs to a shaft to the money pit which I barely caught, and what looks like a buried ship on it's side. You'll have to decide for yourself when you see it. Until they actually dig and uncover something substantial to see for it yourself, it's all up for grabs...and another season Wink

Regards, Will G.