SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Blind Man's Bluff - book
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blind Man's Bluff - book Login/Join 
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted
Many months ago, I asked the forum for recommendations on submarine books. This one was mentioned several times.

It is pretty amazing. Non-fiction that reads like a decent novel. I knew bits and pieces (enough to be interested and ask for book names), but I never knew all the details this book provides.

Very cool. Thanks for the recommendations whomever you were.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
that particular book was banned in Canada for years because of some of the information it wrote about was still classified in Canada

it was a great read

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53086 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
I love seeing/reading this type of stuff, but always wonder how "patriotic" it is to publish things that might piss off our enemies.

I have the same quandry about news journalists who investigate and publish info that probably should have remained top secret. I think the news people used to lay off stuff that might have embarassed our country or president in the old days - not anymore.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Can recommend "The Lost Submarine".

Was written by a teacher that my wife had in elementary school, Nancy Kenney.

True story about a WW2 sub lost and found in the Pacific.

Was a particularly interesting read for me as I also grew up in the same area so knew many of the family names and specific people mentioned in the book.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Sailor1911,

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3758 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I read this book many years ago. Truth is more interesting than fiction in this case.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites as well. I started on it and couldn't put it down. Truth IS better than fiction isn't it?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Operation Drumbeat by Michael Gannon.
Shows how scary the opening days of WWII actually were.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Slayer of Agapanthus

posted Hide Post
Investigate Operation Azorian and the book by the same name. Operation Azorian was an attempt to raise a sunken Soviet nuclear submarine from the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. It was considered to be as challenging as the moon landing.

"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye". The Little Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupery, pilot and author, lost on mission, July 1944, Med Theatre.

Posts: 5952 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post