SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    In praise of Two and half Men.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In praise of Two and half Men. Login/Join 
Picture of CQB60
posted
Maybe a Charlie Sheen did go a little far in giving us “winning”! But you must admit, I was awfully funny.
Some might see the series as nothing more than a sophomoric sex romp every episode, but at its heart “Two and a Half Men” is classic comedy with the handsome straight man Charlie, the goofy comic side kick Alan and his underachiever and overeating son Jake. Add the self-centered mom Evelyn and sarcastic housekeeper Berta.

If your brow tends to arch on the high side, “Two and a Half Men” can be off-putting, with its love of double-entendres and inability to pass up a good fart joke. Like “The Three Stooges” and “I Love Lucy" before it, this series played heavily on the side of physical humor. But unlike the old days of slipping on a banana peel, these clowns are more likely to injure themselves on a used birth-control device.

The sitcom has always managed to slip in some notable guest stars without spoiling the chemistry in the main ensemble. Who can forget uber-hottie Megan Fox, then just sexy and 17, as Berta’s granddaughter Prudence in the first-season gem dubbed “Camel Filters + Pheromones”? Harper housekeeper Berta’s forced to bring Prudence to work with her — not the best place for an underage girl and over-stimulated men. Even Jake gets a crush on Fox. But the brothers do attempt to behave themselves. As Charlie says in a key moment, “OK Prudence, this just can't happen. I mean you're very nice and pretty, but in prison, so am I.” And for true slapstick fans, it never gets old watching smitten men like Alan and Jake walk into doors. I’m amazed just how times I can watch the reruns and still laugh like the first time. Gosh. What could’ve been if Sheen didn’t wig out! I do miss this show...

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
Berta points to her very pregnant daughter and said, "My angel fell from heaven...and landed on a married man's penis." My favorite episode was season 2 episode 23. Squab, squab, squab, squab, squab. That one was one of the very best ever. I think my favorite character was the ever present Rose.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
The women guests stars. Brooke Shields, Tricia Helfer, Courtney Thorne-Smith, Denise Richards, Jeri Ryan, Jennifer Taylor, Heather Locklear just to name a few. Lucky bastards

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
My favorite episode was season 2 episode 23. Squab, squab, squab, squab, squab.

He is the Chosen One.

Another great episode was Isabella:

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Did you ever see the one with Chris O’Donnell (NCIS LA) where he used to be a girl named Jill, and came back later as Bill? It is hysterical.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by goose5:
I think my favorite character was the ever present Rose.

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act

Posts: 3435 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
I loved Berta more than anything. She cracked me up every time.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Rose, Berta and Charlie's mother were what made it for me Smile

(Ok, yeah: And the incessant babe parade.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
I loved the early years. Once Charlie left, it just sucked. Jake was always the one that killed me, and Herb once he came in.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A good SitCom is not so much about the setting or plot, its about the way the cast interacts with each other. Friends, Cheers, Frazier, Two and Half Men all had great casts who worked well with each other.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Steve in PA
posted Hide Post
Love watching it with the original cast. Can't stand watching it with "Walden".

Steve
"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Posts: 3436 | Location: Northeast PA | Registered: June 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I don't think it was that bad with Walden... held up much better than I expected.

Oddly, sometime in the last couple of weeks I accidentally hit "record episodes" on my DVR and so have been watching a few episodes every morning...

right now watching "does this smell funny". where Jake is giving his report of what I did this weekend.... where Orson Bean comes over looking for his wife.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fly High, A.J.
Picture of tk13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm: Orson Bean comes over looking for his wife.

I was just going to post about that same episode. The best part was Evelyn and Norman interacting:

You know what, Norman, you look a lot like my fifth husband.

Really? How many times you been married?

Four.

Posts: 1645 | Location: Suffolk, VA | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green Mountain Boy
Picture of Jus228
posted Hide Post
Love this show. I’ve never seen a boring episode. Even with Walden...It was always Alan that carried the show IMO.

!~God Bless the U.S. Military~!

If the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off

Light travels faster than sound, this is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak

Posts: 5563 | Location: Vermont | Registered: March 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post