SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    Polar on Netflix
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Polar on Netflix Login/Join 
Picture of dgrdvm
posted
I just saw an ad for another comic adaptation to be on Netflix. Polar, from Darkhorse comics. Boy oh boy, the commercial looked like it will be fun.
Anyone know anything on this ?

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are stupider than that'
George Carlin

Posts: 504 | Location: St Louis | Registered: June 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't know anything about the comics, but I've seen the trailer and it looks pretty good to me. But then, I'm a sucker for the whole "retired hitman forced back into that world" trope, which is what this seems like.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK damnit. I'm trying to convince myself to offload Netflix do to the Marvel debacle going on right now.

Then you folks show me something like this.

Stop it. Big Grin

___________________________________Sigforum - port in the fake news storm.____________Be kind to the Homeless. A lot of us are one bad decision away from there.

Posts: 1165 | Registered: July 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Watched it this weekend, I enjoyed it. A bit over the top with the violence, but I assume true to its source material. A fair bit of nudity also, if that is a concern. I liked it, and they left it open for a sequel. Liked it better than the Netflix movie "Close".

Posts: 101 | Registered: January 09, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
It was fun.

Extreme over the top comic book violence, over the top comic book villains.

Going in knowing it's a comic book, it was a good use of the time.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
Watched it and liked it. Lots of hot ladies, some of whom get naked. Of lots of violence and blood. I will admit the torture scene with the clipper got to me...OUCH!!

Posts: 3909 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I was going to post about it here also, but I figured it had been covered for sure. I liked it, violence was almost comical. The best part was his lesson at the grade school on the Gurkha.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The idea of "Le Chiffre" playing the good guy...

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jsbcody:
Watched it and liked it. Lots of hot ladies, some of whom get naked. Of lots of violence and blood. I will admit the torture scene with the clipper got to me...OUCH!!

I actually fast-forwarded past the 4 days of torture scenes. I've got a pretty strong stomach but a couple of minutes of that was plenty, thanks.

The rest of it was pretty good, entertaining at least. The shootout in the tunnel after he "escaped" was well beyond my ability to "suspend disbelief" but I managed.

Didn't realize it was a Marvel Comics character, probably should've clued in with the Bad Guy's colorful suits and the freak-show crew that went after Our Hero.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tooky13
posted Hide Post
I watched it and, I've got to say, that's got to be in the top 2 or 3 most violent movies I've ever seen. Makes John Wick look tame. The body count had to be the hundreds. The story wasn't bad, had a good twist at the end.

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution.
Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1307 | Location: Scottsdale, Arizona | Registered: December 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
This looks like a movie I will like. Wonder when it will come out on disc?

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Netflix only.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34084 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
I didn’t like it. I came off of “you” which I enjoyed, but this was too much. It reminded me of a movie I saw years ago where there was a lot of graphic sex and people giving up their identities for a price, for a little while...
Just not realistic enough for me, maybe? Or too macabre? Whoever the evil villain was just didn’t do it for me, I couldn’t picture that little twit in charge of anyone, much less a group of trained killers. I liked the hit man, though.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5284 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Definitely over the top. Reminded me of a cross between John Wick and the Smokin' Aces movies.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
I didn’t like it. I came off of “you” which I enjoyed, but this was too much. It reminded me of a movie I saw years ago where there was a lot of graphic sex and people giving up their identities for a price, for a little while...
Just not realistic enough for me, maybe? Or too macabre? Whoever the evil villain was just didn’t do it for me, I couldn’t picture that little twit in charge of anyone, much less a group of trained killers. I liked the hit man, though.

You are aware this was adapted from a comic book right?

Posts: 14573 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
That only goes so far. Because.. He didn't watch a comic book. Big Grin

Like saying...
"This movie sucked."

"Well you do know, it was an adaptation of a book, that sucked."

So while that may explain it, that doesn't make it any better. Wink

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I enjoyed it. Very comic booky and not realistic, but that's ok.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I watched it shortly after it became available on Netflix. I enjoyed it quite a bit. Definitely over the top, but still fun to watch. I hope they do a sequel.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 1286 | Registered: February 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A man's got to know
his limitations
Picture of hberttmank
posted Hide Post
I found this on a factory DVD on eBay so I bought it. Very happy with my purchase, it's a fun flick. Too bad it isn't out on Blu-ray.

"But, as luck would have it, he stood up. He caught that chunk of lead." Gunnery Sergeant Carlos Hathcock

Posts: 9357 | Registered: March 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really liked it. Didn't know it was a comic or anything about it, just liked the preview...which let me know what to expect.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post