SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    John le Carre - advice needed.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

John le Carre - advice needed. Login/Join 
posted
I really enjoyed BBC's production of The Night Manager and I'm looking forward to The Little Drummer Girl, but I've never read any of his books.

I'm thinking about giving them a try. Is there a good place to start?
Should I just read them in the order they were published?
Does he have ongoing character development like Clancy's Jack Ryan books or does each book stand completely on it's own?

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Fusternc
posted Hide Post
I also loved the Night Manager season and just have started my first Le Carre book (The Spy who came in from the cold.) I have read that they dont require any special order.

Posts: 1373 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
The only Le Carre book I've read is the Honourable Schoolboy, and so I may not be able to fully answer your question with the same perspective as if I had read other books in his series.

The Honourable Schoolboy picks up sometime later than when George Smiley encountered the Soviet mole, or the back story with his wife. However, while I was missing some of the subtext of previous events, there were enough past references for me to understand at least that they occurred, and for me to appreciate the story for what it was.

Le Carre was exceedingly descriptive in the Honourable Schoolboy, almost excruciatingly so, so be prepared for long descriptive passages and plodding story lines, often delving into minutiae, often not readily apparent to the reader is why this occurs until later in the story.

There are a couple of his lengthy descriptive passages in the book that I'll always remember with some enjoyment, including his description of an Italian town's coastline view and also the flight of a DC-3. But many of his lengthy descriptions do nothing but slow the story down and fill pages.

IF you have the patience to get through the lengthy descriptions, slow moving plot, tiny details, and infrequent action, you may be properly equipped to enjoy his stories.

I've seen both Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy and the Night Manager and greatly enjoyed both, although I suspect that TTSS probably more closely follows the Le Carre story style.

Let us know what you decide to read and what you think of it.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
I have read most of them and no, you don't have to read them in order. Smiley's backstory is important, but you will pick up bits and pieces in each book. TTSS is the best by far, IMHO.

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It has been some time since I've read his novels but I'd suggest, "The Spy Who Came in from the Cold." The old black and white movie with Richard Burton was good too.

Like many British novelist they are a little dry compared to American writers.

Posts: 659 | Registered: June 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
Start with the Spy Who....., then work in order through "Smiley's People". After that, you can pretty much read them as you find them.

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stray Round:
...Like many British novelist they are a little dry...

And yet, this makes le Carre so much more believable. Both he and Ian Fleming served in British Intelligence, but of the two, who writes a better story? Le Carre, by far!

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9158 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I have not read all of his books, but an early one (the 3rd, 1963), The Spy Who Came In From The Cold, was my favorite and is a good starting point.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Let’s just say it’s not The Old Man and the Sea. His descriptive narrative can run so far as to you will forget what he’s describing. Good reads but you may occasionally go back a page or 2 to remembering the train of thought.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I think "The Spy Who Came In From The Cold" is very good. It isn't as long as some others, but has the elements of any LeCarre novel. Excellent.

The Smiley trilogy is also excellent, but is a big bite.

"The Little Drummer Girl" is also good, and has a bit more action and less of the minute detail and slow burn to a conclusion than some of the Cold War novels.

I've read most of them - maybe all of them. They are generally good, but repay your close attention.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DubiousDan
posted Hide Post
John Le Carre Books In Order

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/john-le-carre/

P220
P239 (.40)
SP2340 (.40)

Posts: 200 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
When you finish with Le Carre, read Len Deighton's three Bernard Sampson trilogies.

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3448 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
They are generally good, but repay your close attention.

That is an understatement. Smile

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I forgot about "A Perfect Spy." I liked that one very much.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post