SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lair    God Bless "It's a Wonderful Life"
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

God Bless "It's a Wonderful Life" Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted
What a crazy excellent film. Tear jerker every time. Merry Christmas.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16691 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
The recent James Stewart thread showed me I need to watch this film again, for the first time in many decades. It is a wonderful movie and, knowing Stewart's recent history leading into the production made it all the better.

As good as it was, the wife was unhappy that Potter seemed to get off easy. I reminded her of this, she felt a little better. Smile

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw89o0afb2A

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Ripley,

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8341 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Wife and I just finished watching it. It's a Christmas Eve tradition here Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
I like this one.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Just finished it here too. Ate the cookies our daughter left for Santa. All is good with the world for awhile.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
Didn’t know it was on. Dang it.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
The lost ending for "It's A Wonderful Life":

Posts: 3934 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
Mr. Potter is one of the greatest movie villains. What an asshole. And he never gets any comeuppance, and keeps the money.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
Mr. Potter is one of the greatest movie villains. What an asshole. And he never gets any comeuppance, ...

Ah, but he does. George Baily has been a thorn in Potter's side ever since George went to ask his dad about the pills Mr. Gower gave him to deliver. Now Potter was certain he'd finally managed rid himself of that thorn. Not only did he fail, but had it amply demonstrated who really was "the richest man in Bedford Falls."

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Grayfox54
posted Hide Post
Its a good movie about the first 50 times you see it. Now I just avoid it. Enough is enough. Roll Eyes

It ain't the years, its the mileage.

Posts: 54 | Location: Bartlett, TN | Registered: November 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
It and "Miracle on 34th Street" are MY Christmas movies. They truly reveal the spirit of Christmas. All the others are just entertainment, AFAIC.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSW
posted Hide Post
I love this movie; it wouldn’t be Christmas without it. That said I just love the SNL “found” ending. If It’s a Wonderful Life was remade today it would probably have that ending.

Posts: 520 | Registered: June 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Back when everybody had the rights to it and just about every station played it at least once a year, it was sort of my holiday tradition to see how many times I could catch it on. I saw it seven times one christmas. lol Smile

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
I choose to believe that Uncle Billy does eventually remember where the money went, and Potter is ruined.

Posts: 3660 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another classic, that somehow I have not found the time or opportunity to watch in the last 75 years.

Posts: 2559 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
We watch it at a movie palace that opened 24 Dec 28 on Eve or Day. Seeing it with a crowd and singing carols to an original wurtlitzer organ make a special evening.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5053 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by f2:
I like this one.

I'm a Jimmy Stewart fan but don't recognize those scenes, what movie is that from?

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
It and "Miracle on 34th Street" are MY Christmas movies. They truly reveal the spirit of Christmas. All the others are just entertainment, AFAIC.

flashguy

quote:
Originally posted by JSW:I love this movie; it wouldn’t be Christmas without it. That said I just love the SNL “found” ending. If It’s a Wonderful Life was remade today it would probably have that ending.

Agreed. I used to watch both It's a Wonderful Life and Miracle on 34th Street each Christmas season, usually on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day, but now I try to alternate each year.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
We watch it at a movie palace that opened 24 Dec 28 on Eve or Day. Seeing it with a crowd and singing carols to an original wurtlitzer organ make a special evening.

Hey, that sounds like a fun event!

Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
Movie scene is from “Shop Around the Corner”.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wik...op_Around_the_Corner

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post